Vegan Immunity Soup - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By ashlend
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By MadamSarcastra

#1 Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 PM

I got this basic idea when I was Googling for soup ideas for vegans who have a cold, but the specific recipe that follows is mine. It's a very garlicky soup with beans and dark greens and just a slight hint of herbs and spices -- you could add more to your taste, but I personally don't like things too heavily seasoned when I'm sick. I make a big pot as a preventative measure and then freeze it in single servings so that I don't have to cook it when I'm not feeling well.

Ingredients:

2 heads (yes, heads!) garlic, smashed, peeled and roughly chopped (no need to mince it too finely)
1 large or 2 small onions, chopped
4 TBL olive oil
1 quart vegetable broth
Dash each of dried basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and red pepper flakes
Canned tomatoes -- I use one 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes. You could use more if you want a more tomato-y soup.
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed
1 bunch dark leafy greens (spinach, collards, kale, etc. -- I prefer kale), rinsed and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Saute the onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes over medium to medium-high heat. Add the garlic and the basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and red pepper flakes and saute for 5-7 minutes more. Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, white beans, salt and pepper and let simmer for just a few minutes. Then add the greens, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until they've cooked down. Serve immediately or refrigerate/freeze for later.

This really makes me feel better. Way better than chicken soup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Thankyou for posting this on a day when I'm ill! Sounds perfect, will have to make up a batch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds so good! I'm a huge fan of all things garlicy and beany so I'll definitely be making this, maybe I'll add some of that Siracha Rooster hot sauce in the mix too, it really clears out the sinuses!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

#4 Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 PM

mmmm yum! thanks for posting!

Atame.
#5 Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

I'd replace the veg broth for miso!
bearplate likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 01-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

This looks delicious - thanks for sharing. I think I will try this next time I'm feeling under the weather!
#7 Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Beginner

The weather is starting to get really cold here, and I am in the middle of a cold - I will definitely be making this soup over the weekend! Thanks for sharing!!

#8 Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM

thank you for this recipe it's goood smiley.gif

#9 Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Banned

Thank you for this post. I'll try it.

#10 Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for the immunity soup recipe .... I made it tonight sans beans because sometimes beans are a bit harsh on my tummy .... I am also sipping chamomile tea to help smiley.gif
#11 Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are a few spices to help this wintery cold season ....
http://www.vooluu.com/sniffles-spices/
#12 Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Ashlend and Lavender Phase, thanks for both the recipe and the link to the healing herbs. My brother came down with a cold over New Year's, his wife got it the next day, and my BIL got it the day he (and the rest of his family)left for Australia, a 24-hour flight. I see this soup, and various additions to it, in the next few days.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#13 Old 12-04-2015, 10:32 PM
Beginner

This is really tasty and also nourishing. I used a bag and a half of spinach instead of kale, two cans of diced tomatoes, and threw in some mushrooms that I needed to use up, but otherwise made it as written.
#14 Old 12-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Talking

You had me at "Two heads of garlic". YUM.

(I wonder if this immunity soup works partly by keeping people who might be sick away from you, in addition to boosting your immunity?) :P

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#15 Old 12-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Wow, this looks similar to the minestrone I just made a ton of, but with fewer ingredients. LOL I always use tons of garlic.... plus I added onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, corn, carrots, baby spinach, yellow squash, zucchini, crushed & diced tomatoes, kidney beans, garbonzos, low-salt veggie broth, lots of herbs & spices, including fresh basil.... I made/stored the ditalini pasta separately to avoid mushiness.... but it's all totally vegan if you don't add parmesan!
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#16 Old 12-04-2016, 08:00 PM

I currently under the weather. I totally need this right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page