1 garlic clove, finely chopped
60g canned tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1.1l vegetable stock
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dried mint
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue frying for about 4 minutes more. Add the diced tomatoes and cook gently for 10 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Pour the soup into a blender and pulse 3 or 4 times. Return the soup to the pan and heat through. Serve immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 AM

Sounds nice. I never think to put rice in soup.
#3 Old 05-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Mouse View Post

80g red lentils, washed and drained
90g rice, washed and drained
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
60g canned tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1.1l vegetable stock
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dried mint
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue frying for about 4 minutes more. Add the diced tomatoes and cook gently for 10 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Pour the soup into a blender and pulse 3 or 4 times. Return the soup to the pan and heat through. Serve immediately.

I am not sure what red lentils are? I am familiar with the little orange ones which are my favorite. Are those the same ones? They turn yellow when u cook them? Anyway this recipe looks pretty yummy. Im going to have to try this soon. Maybe next week. If I don't hear back on the lentils Ill just use the orange ones.

#4 Old 05-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna13 View Post

I am not sure what red lentils are? I am familiar with the little orange ones which are my favorite. Are those the same ones? They turn yellow when u cook them? Anyway this recipe looks pretty yummy. Im going to have to try this soon. Maybe next week. If I don't hear back on the lentils Ill just use the orange ones.

I think that's the same, the red lentils look like this:

Luna13 likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 05-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I agree. I forget their real name (if there is one) but I buy them under Red lentils. For soup I always mix about half red and half green (or brown or french) The red ones cook down to like pasty, but the others hold their shape so it kinda thickens the soup.

I'm also a big fan of brown rice and red lentils together, spiced up with veggies

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page