Children's party food ideas needed please - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM

One of my LOs has a birthday fast approaching and this will be the first time I'll be catering for a party without eggs and dairy. It will be a buffet type thing for 6-9 year olds so any suitable recipe ideas, both savoury and sweet, would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by By Halves View Post

One of my LOs has a birthday fast approaching and this will be the first time I'll be catering for a party without eggs and dairy. It will be a buffet type thing for 6-9 year olds so any suitable recipe ideas, both savoury and sweet, would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

My question is, any allergies you are aware of, such as gluten-free or dietary restrictions (halel, Kosher, etc) you are aware of? You could do make your own pizzas or tacos for the main meal. Set up veggies in a style that the birthday person would love, like these designs. You can also do a fruit plate like these, as well. I know it's a kid's birthday (6-9), but I hit the fruits and veggies pretty hard (December, at least when I grew up, was one big sugar rush). For the cake, how about a simple wacky cake, also the Depression cake, 1-2-3-4 cake, Crazy cake, etc. Good luck.  

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 12-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow! Catering for a whole group of kids? I don't envy you! :P

There's a few different options. I also thing a bit of a selection of some fruit is always a good idea. Grapes, rock melon, apples and orange slices are all nature's sweet treats!

But, we are talking 5-9 year olds and maybe you want to do something more than that :P

If the kids like jelly, then agar agar is quite good. I've found it in clear form and in coloured. So you could make 'jelly' cups with fruit in them  (Agar agar isn't actual gelatine).

Vegetable spring rolls can be vegan. You'd have to check the packaging. But that with some sweet chilli sauce is a nice alternative to things like sausage rolls.

If you're feeling REALLY adventurous- Sushi! Some avacado and some cucumber. Easy vegan finger food.

You might be able to make vegan mini pizzas? Just vegetarian pizzas without cheese.

As for the sweet- Vegan cupcakes. (You can use apple sauce instead of eggs :P)

Hope some of that helps out! Good luck!

#4 Old 12-15-2013, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the ideas - the party's tomorrow after school so if I can get the house a bit clean and tidy today I'll have the day to get the food ready.

I shall definitely do a veg plate and I'm about to look for dip recipes to go with it - and breadsticks always go down well too. I couldn't find any suitable spring rolls but I did get some jus-roll pastry so I reckon I can do some sausage rolls by making my seitan mince into a sausagemeat consistency. I half-saw some really fancy ones on a cooking programme last week so I might hunt for the method for those. Mini pizzas should be pretty easy too - I got some soy cheese which I think is pretty horrid but my kids like.

I found a few accidentally vegan sweet things in home bargains and I'll definitely do some fruit too. I've also found some vege-gel for jellies and I've been looking at a link from here for cupcakes.

Made a trial-run of the wacky cake which has gone down very well so I thought that wasn't going to be a problem. Until, that is, my lovely son asked if I could make it in the shape of a dalek lol

#5 Old 12-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

For sweets I recommend cupcakes, kids love them and they're less messy than having a cake.

Here is a recipe for vegan chocolate cupcakes, just leave out the spices for kids, as they probably wouldn't like them:

http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/chinese-five-spice-chocolate-cupcakes.html

There are also some lemon and orange ones, which kids would love too:

http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/lemon-and-orange-vegan-cupcakes.html

And some Orange and Oreo cupcakes:

http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/orange-and-oreo-mini-cupcakes.html 

And then some for the adults to enjoy while the kids are playing haha:

http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/mexican-car-bomb-cupcakes.html

#6 Old 12-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'd suggest Gardein seven grain nuggets and a variety of dipping sauces.

Ling Ling spring rolls are vegan and fabulous!

Crescent roll ups are good with all kinds of filling

Banana chunks with chopped peanuts to dip in are a win

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 12-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

My son is turning four soon and we're celebrating his party this week. We plan on having these foods:

- vegan cheese pizza (thin slices that are about half the normal size)

- vegetable spring rolls

- sweet and sour tofu and rice with veggies

- fresh fruit

- mini chocolate cupcakes

- mini vanilla cupcakes

Last year we had a party for him with just vegan cheese pizza. Even though almost no one attending the event was vegan, the pizza was well-received and it was all gone at the end of the party. We also had chips, fresh fruit and veggies, crackers, and cookies. 

The year before we had mostly just snacks. Tons and tons of store-bought vegan snack foods plus a homemade cake. I don't like cooking for groups so I usually just buy something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page