fake tuna salad sandwich - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-10-2004, 02:04 AM
Administrator

fake tuna salad sandwhich by danielle

Category: Sandwiches/Burgers

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

1 can of chickpeas

celery and onion finely chopped

veganaise

salt and pepper

Instructions:

-boil chickpeas for 1/2 to 1 hour(until you can mash with fork)

-drain and rinse with cold water

-mash with fork picking out the skins of the chickpeas

-add as much celery, onion, veganaise, salt and pepper that you like.

Additional comments:

put on bread with tomato and lettuce or use with out the bread

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Beginner

This is fantastic...I never tried it before because I NEVER liked tuna when I was an omni...I decided because its not really fish it could not be too bad..OMG....It tastes just like something I used to be able to get just called "sandwich spread", it had garbanzos as the base ...

I made some and shared with my sis...THANK YOU MICHAEL...
#3 Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Beginner

I make this a lot....I love it!!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#4 Old 07-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

For the record, this is the official fake tuna sandwich of VB...

http://www.veggieboards.com/blog/?p=373

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#5 Old 07-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Beginner

I like your version better! I was never a fan of relish in my tuna.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
#6 Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Beginner

Im a little confused about a couple of things:

1). In the first post in this thread, the procedure calls for opening two cans of garbanzo beans and boiling them for up to an hour. Arent canned garbanzo beans already cooked?

2). Some people say you should mash the beans with a fork, and others say to put them in a food processor. If you put them in a food processor, wouldnt they puree down to hummus? It seems to me that you would want to leave it kinda chunky so as to better simulate the texture of tuna. So mashing it by hand is the way to go, right?

3). All of the recipes Ive seen here are remarkably similar, with the exception that some people add relish and some people dont? Does adding the relish somehow make it taste more like tuna? Or is it just that some traditional tuna salad recipes contain relish? Ive never known anybody who put relish in their tuna, so I dont understand where this comes from.

4). Assuming that I do put relish in, sweet or dill?

I known these questions sound stupid, cuz garbanzo beans are cheap, and if I dont like one batch I can always keep making more until I get it right. I was just kind of hoping to get it right on the first try.
#7 Old 07-05-2007, 03:39 AM
Beginner

I did not boil the canned beans, just rinsed them..Also I like it a tad chunky, so did not blend it smooth. I think the relish is just up to you..I tried both and do like it better with a little sweet relish but no onion..Just play around with the recipe until you get the one that you like the best...
#8 Old 07-05-2007, 04:16 AM
Beginner

If I use dry chickpeas I do the soak overnight method then boil till tender.

Otherwise I just rinse the ones in the can.

Mashing or processing is a matter of preference, depending on how you like your 'tuna'. I've done both. You don't have to process it to death. A few pulses and it comes out very nice. I use the fork only if I'm too lazy to clean the processor afterward. I like mine less chunky.

Relish is also a matter of taste. I think it is pretty common around here to put relish in the 'tuna' salad. My sister loves it, I prefer it without.

I believe dill is the way to go. Don't quote me on it, though, especially since I don't make mine with it.

Let us know how it turns out if you do decide to make it!

#9 Old 07-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Let us know how it turns out if you do decide to make it!

Oh, of course I will. Every time I start experimenting with a new recipe I keep copious written notes along the way. And of course, if and when I achieve success, I keep a record of how I did it. I think Ill start with Veganaise, celery, onions, vinegar, salt and pepper. Then Ill try it, and then add relish (dill) and see what it does to the taste.
#10 Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Beginner

I made some of this a few days ago and it was excellent. I made my wife two sandwiches and didnt tell her what it was. A few minutes ago she asked me if there was any of that egg salad left. I replied with a coy smile what egg salad? She was astonished when I told her that it was made out of garbanzo beans. I decided to leave out the relish, and used the following:

2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

1 tablespoon vinegar

½ cup Vegenaise

2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes

2 ounces white onion, finely chopped

2 ounces celery, finely chopped

1 teaspoon salt

It really tasted just like egg salad. I actually renamed it Mock Egg Salad when I typed it up for my permanent file. One tip: lose the fork. When I started mashing it with a fork I quickly realized that it was going to take forever. So I whipped out the potato masher and voilajob done in no time flat. It was nicely chunky and well mixed.

For my next evil experiment, Im going to completely puree the beans to a smooth consistency in the food processor with the Veganaise and some turmeric to make it yellow. This will be the yolk portion. Then Im going to manually mash in tofu to simulate the egg white portion. Ill post something if and when I achieve success.
#11 Old 07-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Beginner

Excellent!!

#12 Old 05-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Beginner

Just made this tonight. GREAT!
#13 Old 05-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Beginner

This sounds so radical! I want some!
#14 Old 06-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Beginner

I made the "Mock Egg Salad" by chopping the garbonzo beans in the food processor until they were just chunky, then added everything else except the onions and celery and processed until creamy with only a few chunks (the type of vinegar wasn't specified, so I used Apple Cidar). Then I stirred in the onion and celery. Excellent! This came out so good I'm going to throw some (locally made under humane conditions) cheddar on it and make a melt for my omni husband tonight.
#15 Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Beginner

Does anyone know what happened to Tuno? It used to be a fairly good substitute for tuna. Maybe they just discontinued it in CO.
#16 Old 06-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Beginner

This sounds so good. Definately giving it a try tomorrow
#17 Old 07-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Beginner

Lordy! Why did I wait so long?! This is absolutely delicious. My only suggestion would be to change the name to "Way better than tuna salad salad"!Thank you!
#18 Old 07-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Beginner

This was delicious. I added a bit of hot sauce as well because it was a bit bland. Thanks a bunch.
#19 Old 07-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Beginner

MMMM, yeah, I make this all the time. It's also good with some chopped up pickle, celery, green pepper or, hell, all of the above.
#20 Old 07-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Beginner

I like the other version better. Namely because I HATE celery with a passion, and the relish gives the salad just the right 'crunch' :]
#21 Old 07-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Beginner

I can't believe I waited so long to try this! It's amazing. I stuffed it into a fresh pita and almost died. It actually reminded me more of chicken salad then anything. If you mash it up a little chunky, you get that meaty texture of the beans, combined with the crunch of the celery and onion.
#22 Old 07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Beginner

Which type of vegenaise do y'all prefer? I've seen the original, a grapeseed oil one, and an expeller pressed one. I really want to try it, but haven't been able to decide which one to get. Anybody's thoughts?

I seriously crave this sandwich and have never had it before. Is that possible?
#23 Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Beginner

OMG! I just made this last night - added some scallions and sweet relish and it was AMAZING!!!! Even my omni husband liked it!!! Thanks!
#24 Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Beginner

It is definitely delicious, isn't it? I added a teaspoon of brown mustard and a pinch of cayenne to my most recent batch. I could eat this stuff every day. I agree that a little chunky is the best way to go.
#25 Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Beginner

I tried a variation of this a few weeks ago and I've eaten heaps since. It's so good!
#26 Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Beginner

I haven't had tuna in 26 years so I couldn't tell you at this point what it tastes like, but I sure know the smell (which I don't miss). Regardless, this is a great spread! I did add just a teaspoon of finely chopped onion and this was great. Good protein, low fat, good fiber, and cheap to make, too! What more could you ask for? It will definitely be one of my lunch staples! Thanks so much for such a great post! --Julie
#27 Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Beginner

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe. I added toasted pecans and chopped, peeled green apples. Great idea Michael, thank you thank you thank you.
#28 Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Beginner

Oh yeah, and I sprayed braggs liquid aminos to give it more of a salty fish taste, lol, did I say I loved this?? lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page