Lentils Burgers - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 03-10-2016, 04:28 PM

Smile Lentils Burgers

Hi! I love lentils and I try to cook them each time in a different way! Few days ago I had some friends at home and I decided to prepare some vegan burgers so that in this way even their kids would eat lentils!

Ingredients: 250 grams of dried lentils; 1 onion; 1 carrot; 1 potato; corn flour (or chickpea flour) q.b; sage; 1 teaspoon of curry and 1 of paprika (optional); olive oil; salt and pepper

Procedure: Clean and chop the onion, the carrot and the potato, heat the oil in a saucepan and add the chopped vegetables with some sage leaves. Cook them for a few minutes over low heat, then add the lentils and cover with vegetable broth (alternatively, just with warm water).

Cook the lentils until they are soft (about 30 minutes), adding more broth if needed but making sure that at the end of cooking the broth will be well evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and, if you like, add curry and/or paprika.

Remove from the heat, making sure no liquid is inside, and chop coarsely with a blender.

Then pour the mixture into a bowl and add the corn flour (or chickpea flour) required to make the mixture compact to be kneaded with your hands.

Form small burgers and cook them in a pan with a little bit of oil at low heat. Cook them on both sides until the crust is darker.
Alternatively, you can cook the burges in oven at 180 C° for about 10 mins per side.
You can serve them along with some sauces, like vegan mayo..I love them with tahine or harissa sauce!

Let me know what you think about!

If you like it and want to know more vegan recipes, follow my blog Green Lives by Green Fits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Beginner

These sound good and simple to prepare. I'm going to try them. Thanks for posting!

I am on an eternal quest for the perfect veggie burger.
#3 Old 03-11-2016, 01:44 AM

Yes, it's not easy to prepare the perfect veggie burger, but it's a nice challenge
To prepare this be sure the dough is quite dry, otherwise burgers gonna broken
Let me know then!
#4 Old 04-24-2016, 04:06 AM

Thanks for the great recipe! What a great idea to add chickpea flower :-) I guess this helps to make them more firm, right? I'll definitely have to try your recipe and serving it with harissa sauce sounds super yummy!!

We often have red lentils with rice or in a soup, but burgers are awesome too. And sooo much healthier than meat burgers. I made this vegan lentil burger with basil mayonnaise a while ago and even my boyfriend loved it. I added some mushrooms and used lettuce instead of arugula. :-)
#5 Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

For those unfamiliar with lentils, it's the orange/red lentils that cook down to a paste, and the brown, green, french ones that hold their shape. You can also find them sold whole, or often called 'football' lentils, or split. In Indian groceries you'll find lots of different types of dal, which are split pulses, and includes peas of all kinds and a type of chickpea

Once you get familiar with how the mix comes together throwing together different combos of cooked grains; dry grains like oats, flours, gluten, crumbs; ground flax; beans, lentils; tofu; tempeh; minced veggies; potatoes or even instant potatoes; and course what ever spices, salsa, mustards, and condiments that have lurked too long in the fridge

Cover the mix once it's right texture to make patties with and let sit in the fridge so all the components soak up the wet ones so they can hold their shape.

One thing I like a lot, esp as cold patties, is this quick and super cheap and easy pate-
one cup red lentils simmered in two cups water (and spices) on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes till soft.
Turn off heat and stir in 1/2 bulgar wheat, cover and let sit.
This makes great cold sandwich patties I like with all kinds of toppings, esp with cumin and pickles. I also use it as base for hot burgers by coating with flour and sauteing, or mixing with tomato soup or broth and frozen veggies for a quick soup.
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 04-24-2016, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the info, Silva! :-) The sandwich patties sound great and so easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page