OPEN FACED SANDWICH DUO: ‘EGG’ SALAD AND VEGAN ‘BLAT' - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 AM

I had a craving for some old fashioned sandwiches, something I hadn’t had in a really long time. I took two favorites from before, egg salad and BLTs, and veganized them into pure heaven! I like open-faced because I feel like there isn’t a whole lot of point to the bread in a sandwich, I mean it is the vehicle, and adds a vital texture of it’s own, but it can be over powering and not quite as visually appealing as a nice big open-faced sandwich.

I had been trying to figure out what I would do for the ‘bacon’ in the blt, and then magically, my roommate brought home this homemade sweet mesquite seasoning from his mom, perfect! I think a store bought mesquite seasoning would work just fine as well. P.S., I went the whole nine yards and made the BLT and BLAT, oh yeah.

‘Egg’ Salad Sandwich

makes about 2 sandwiches

6 ounces extra firm tofu (I like sprouted organic)

2 tbs veganaise

1.5 tbs dijon mustard

1 tsp yellow mustard

1 tsp turmeric

1 sprinkle of garlic powder

2 green onions (or chives)

1 Tbs very finely minced red bell pepper

a tiny pinch a curry powder

salt and pepper to taste

2 slices of toasted rye bread

A little more veganaise for slathering on bread

greens of your choice (I went with microgreens)

1 sprig of dill, minced

sprinkle of paprika

Press the water out of the tofu and chop finely, like a 1/4″ dice. In a medium bowl add all the ingredients from the veganaise to the salt and pepper, and stir to combine, then stir in the tofu and toss to coat completely. The tofu will crumble a little further in this process and that’s fine. Set Aside. After toasting your bread, slather with a little more veganaise and sprinkle on the dill and microgreens. Next spoon the ‘egg’ salad on top in big heaps, and sprinkle with a dusting of paprika. Perfection!!

Vegan BLAT Sandwich

makes about 2 sandwiches

1/3 c Coconut Chips (Seen them at Trader Joe’s and Ralphs for you Californians)

1 tsp mesquite seasoning

1 tbs maple syrup

3 tbs veganaise

3 basil leaves

2 slices toasted sourdough bread

2 big romaine leaves, stems removed

6 slices avocado

3 plum tomatoes

Preheat the oven to broil. In a small bowl, combine the coconut chips, mesquite seasoning, and maple syrup and stir to coat. Put this on a foil lined pan and put under the boiler for about 1 minute. Give it a stir and put it back in for one minute. You want it to get piping hot and the maple syrup sort of carmelized, but don’t let it burn! Meanwhile, finely mince the basil and stir it into the veganaise. Slather this onto your sourdough bread. Rip the romaine into small pieces and put on top of your basil mayo. Next, put three slices of avocado per sandwich, and smush them down a bit, this really holds things together. Then, thinly slice the tomatoes and lay them on top, and top that off with your crumbly hot ‘bacon’.

It’s sandwich party time!

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2014, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Gorgeous food photography! Those both look great, thanks for sharing. hungry.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Yum those look fantastic!
Gianna likes this.

#4 Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Baco's!!!!! (in a bag - not the ones in the container!)

I've heard of coconut chip bak'n, but doesn't that have a coconut taste?

Is the mesquite seasoning like liquid smoke?

I've thought mashed chickpeas with curry tasted like egg salad--never tried with tofu! Sounds really good!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM

Ya Silva, after I was done I was like, oooo yeah, morning start or baco bits already exist! haha. I really didn't think it tasted like coconut, but the seasoning was very strong! (i'm trying to get my roommate to get the recipe from him mom.) It tasted and looked like bacon flavored salt, with maybe some sugar in there too. But I think you are correct, some mesquite flavored liquid smoke mixed with some other dry herbs and spice would do the trick!

Mashed chikpeas sounds great too, because the tofu was just ever so slightly less firm than hard boiled eggs.  

#6 Old 03-10-2014, 11:41 AM

The "Egg" Salad looks so yummy. I have some tofu in the fridge. I'm def going to try this later. :hungry:

#7 Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 AM

So Glad Mrs Nesbit! I made them for a vegan potluck at the california farm sanctuary this weekend and they were gone in a second. My omni husband and friend said that if I didn't tell them it was tofu, they'd never guess <3

#8 Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 AM

I made a tiny bit of it for my afternoon snack to have on a piece of flax bread. It tasted great but turned out watery because I forgot to squeeze the tofu or didn't squeeze enough of the water out of it :doh:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page