The best way to eat raw grapefruits... - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 08-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Beginner

The best way to eat raw grapefruits...

Grapefruits are so good for you but I find them to be hardly edible unless if I juice them with sweeter fruits to balance the flavor.
Grapefruit and oranges do not digest well with other foods except other acid fruits or sub acid fruits.
For example, strawberries and mangoes go well with oranges. But sweet fruits like dates and bananas do not digest well with citrus.

So, my favorite way to add grapefruit in my diet is to juice them with oranges or clementines.
The ratio of 1 grapefruit is to 3 oranges; or 1 grapefruit to 5 clementines.
Run the oranges (and/or clementines) and grapefruit through a juicer, and drink immediately.
Grapefruit and oranges are Winter fruits for a reason~they are high in Vitamin C which prevents illness and disease.

Grapefruit Juice

2 grapefruits, peeled
5+ oranges or 7+ clementines, peeled

Original post @ "grapefruit juice"

-Cassie K, Vegans Living Off the Land

Last edited by sillybunnns; 08-15-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

I mix bananas and citrus all the time!
I also love grapefruit all by itself, just cut into sections
#3 Old 08-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I mix bananas and citrus all the time!
I also love grapefruit all by itself, just cut into sections
Me too, I live in Florida and put citrus in just about everything.

#4 Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 AM

strawberries are an acid fruit and go well juiced with grapefruit, But I also love them by themselves...Texas grapefruits are sweet.

We are all an extension of the one divine source....can we be kind to each other?
#5 Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 AM
No flesh since 99'

I *LOVE* grapefruit juice plain, mores than orange, but since grapefruits always seem to be more expensive I drink more orange. My favorite is when pomelos are in season, the 2 juices are just delicious combined (2 grapefruit to 1 pomelo). I can't eat citrus fruits whole though. Something about the texture and the white "coating" stuff is very off-putting to me.

Juiced, I could drink a gallon of citrus a day, of any kind!
#6 Old 01-27-2015, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a strange fear of grapefruit. I have avoided it like the plague for years because I learned that it can affect my thyroid meds and hormone replacement negatively. But there are a number of foods that can affect these things and I have still consumed them in moderation, so why I am so afraid of grapefruit is beyond me lol. I used to eat it as is all the time when I was much younger. I love oranges and other citrus fruits.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 01-27-2015, 03:38 AM
Formerly Sick-Now Healthy

I love to slice it like this picture with the triangles, then sprinkle it with a little sugar (or an unrefined sugar I use called sucanat), and dig out the triangles and juice with a spoon. Yummy!
Attached Images

EatPlant-Based.com
#8 Old 01-27-2015, 10:59 AM
just add raisins

I love pink grapefruit, and they were invaluable when I was giving up smoking years ago. I used to peel them, then "skin" each segment, so it was just the inner juicy bit, no bitter pith or tough casing. Gives you something to do with your hands and takes ages, by the time you've finished the craving is gone (hopefully!).

Tags
grapefruit , seasonal food , winter food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page