General Tao Tofu - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2006, 07:53 AM

I made this yesterday and it was sooooooo good.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?PHPSESSI...6&topic=8769.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2006, 08:23 AM

I second that!

I heard so many rave reviews for it so I finally made it a couple weeks ago and we LOVED it!

I made the sauce a few days later to accompany some spring rolls we threw together and it makes for a great dipping sauce!

Also recently I made just the fried tofu cubes following their directions and dipped them in ketchup. I thought it was way better than a recipe I made that was supposed to mimic chicken nuggets.
#3 Old 12-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I am very excited to try this!

#4 Old 12-05-2006, 09:18 PM

I made that for a vegan potluck a few days ago! It is pretty much the best thing ever.
#5 Old 12-09-2006, 07:59 PM

Oh. My. Gosh. I thought I'd never eat it again. ^^"" Thanks so much!
#6 Old 12-10-2006, 07:40 AM

I made this the other night because of the rave reviews. It was *ok.*

I may try it again with modifications, but it definitely isn't good enough that I'd serve it to guests.
#7 Old 12-10-2006, 10:54 AM

I use a little less sugar but I love it. I would not hesitate to serve it to guests.
#8 Old 02-25-2007, 11:06 PM

I tried this tonight, and although I don't think it quite lives up to the hype, I thought it was really good. The biggest problem with it is that unless you are a cooking whiz, you will find this to be incredibly time consuming. I suggest enlisting some helper monkeys, or failing that, some friends.

My favorite part of the recipe was the tofu. Although it's a pain to do, the reward is tofu that turns brown and crispy and cooks cooks up wonderfully with no sticking! That's right, no sticking! Just gliding my tofu cubes around the pan in joy made this recipe worth it.

Everyone on vegweb raves about the sauce, but I thought it was kind of average. I thought that it needed some kick, so if I make this again I will add something hot.

Also, some tips:

- just about everyone on vegweb says to double the sauce.

- you should probably cut the sugar a bit.

- you don't need to use quite as much corn starch as they say. What you do is take two bowls and use one for the egg replacer and the other for the cornstarch. Left hand coats the tofu cubes with the egg, right hand coats them with the cornstarch and places in the pan.

- make sure you look around once in a while during the tofu frying because unknown to me, my entire apartment filled with oil smoke while I was cooking. On the bright side, I learned that smoke detector doesn't work.

- crushing ginger in a garlic press can potentially be a timesaver... but if you cram a huge chunk in all at once, and press it really hard despite the resistance, it may explode in your face. Not that this happened to me...
#9 Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 AM

I love this recipe! My entire omni family loved it. I used soy milk instead of egg replacer and used red pepper flakes since I had no fresh red pepper. I also doubled the sauce and added mushrooms and it turned out awesome.
#10 Old 02-26-2007, 01:31 PM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe!!! Thanks for posting it!
#11 Old 02-26-2007, 02:15 PM

It does look good. I just printed out the recipe..I'll try this soon
#12 Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 PM

I made this tonight, and... !... yep, it was great. I'll definitely be inviting friends over to try this one, and if nobody shows up more for me hahaha. But seriously, so good. Next Time I'll have to try doubling the sauce for sure. The only bad thing was that I didn't have fresh ginger, still good though.
#13 Old 03-07-2007, 09:59 PM

this is a pretty cool recipe. suggestion: try Tamari instead of soy sauce for a fuller mellower flavor. also yeah, i agree that is too much cornstarch!
#14 Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 AM

I finally made this last night after staring at it for years on vegweb. And it came out unbelievably delicious Here's what I changed after reading so many awesome suggestions:

Less cornstarch. I didn't understand the mixing it with water beforehand cause it just made a big gooey blob- blech! So I blended a teeny tiny amount with hot water and just added slowly. I also reduced the sugar amount and doubled the sauce.

I threw the onion, garlic, and ginger in the chopper and set aside together. Then I made the soy, sugar, vegetable stock etc. and heated it up so the sugar dissolved and set that aside.

I dipped the tofu lightly and browned it. Set aside. Oiled pan and sauted the onion mix. Then added the soy/ veg broth mix. Slowly added tiny bits of the cornstarch mix. Then threw in the tofu.

It just seemed to help having everything premixed and ready to go. I only do that for recipes like this one. But it was sooooooo good
#15 Old 04-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this for dinner tonight. I also doubled the sauce, but only used 1 tbsp oil per batch of sauce.. 3 seemed excessive. Next time I'd reduce the amount of sugar. I think it was a bit too sweet.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 05-01-2007, 03:22 PM

I made this last night for me and my omni BF. We both loved it.

Blog: www.imarriedanomnivore.com
Twitter: @vegwife
#17 Old 12-16-2007, 04:56 PM

A few questions:

- Can I fry the tofu in a skillet?

- Can I use rice milk instead of ener-g egg replacer?

- If I am using bottled sauce, how much time can I cut?
#18 Old 12-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post

A few questions:

I think frying the tofu in a skillet would be fine, and I just skip the egg replacer entirely and it turns out fine. And making the sauce yourself probably takes about 10 minutes.
#19 Old 04-24-2008, 09:13 AM

This would be a good entry for the Chef to the Rescue contest I've mentioned on here before - right now the category is Asian/Indian cuisine! (Starting Monday it's veggie grilling/burgers.)

http://cheftotherescue.msn.com/?cn=rc
#20 Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post

A few questions:

-Yes. Tofu can be fried in a skillet.

-If it's to dip the tofu in before frying, You don't need either. Cornstarch sticks to tofu without egg replacer or milk.

- No more than 5 or 10 minutes. Fresh sauce makes all the difference, Though. I suggest just taking the extra time to make it yourself.
#21 Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 PM

My wife made this the other night we thought it was great.
#22 Old 05-01-2008, 10:08 AM

Has anyone made this with medium-firm tofu? I don't really like extra firm lately.
#23 Old 05-01-2008, 01:23 PM

I imagine using medium-firm would be just as good. I really dont believe it matters, perhaps not silken tough :P. In the recipe it mentions you can freeze it for more firmness, but you don't have to. I think the sauce is what definately makes this dish anyway. I made extra sauce for any leftover rice.
#24 Old 06-29-2008, 04:16 PM

If you freeze the tofu first, do you drain it before freezing, or just toss the unopened container in the freezer?
#25 Old 06-29-2008, 06:11 PM

you can drain, pressand cut the tofu first, before freezing, if you like...that way,it will thaw quicker...its easier to thaw smaller pieces, rather than thw whole block.

But throwing the whole container in the freezer is fine too...thats usually how i do it.
#26 Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 AM

The general tao recipie is awesome. the easiest way that i have found to prepare tofu is: Open tofu pack and slice into halve then slice again length ways so that you have four equal pieces then wrap each piece in platic wrap and put in a freezer bag and freeze.That way you can take out however many slices of tofu you need at a time.Thaw tofu then drain. to drain simply put a cutting board in the sink at an angle and squeeze a slice of tofu on the board untill no water comes out. It only takes a few seconds to drain tofu this way.Then I marinate my tofu in stock and soy sauce with some garlic powder and onion powder over night.For this recipie I cube my tofu before marinating. Then I drain off the marinade and just sprinkle on some cornstarch and coat the tofu. Then I fry my tofu cubes in a fry pan in 1-2 tbls of oil untill it is crispy.This takes 10 - 15 mins. You can use this crispy tofu in other recipies also.This is the only way that i really like tofu.
#27 Old 08-02-2008, 11:48 AM

I made this and messed it up.. It turned out really crappy
#28 Old 08-02-2008, 11:51 AM

I've made it a few times. It's good, but not as exciting as the reviews make it seem. It's also more work than I'm normally willing to put into a dinner.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#29 Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 PM

I'm eating this as I type

Tips: double the sauce, less sugar, more other vegetables (water chestnuts would be goood)
#30 Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 PM

I tried this a few times and now I'm stuck making it every Saturday night for my non-vegetarian family. We all love it!

Tags
Tofurky-Spicy-Veggie-Tempeh , Vegetarian-Recipes , Vegan-Recipes , Chinese-Five-Color-Hot-Pepper-10-Seeds-Indoors-or-Out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page