can you pack cooked quinoa in a pan and then fry it like polenta? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-14-2014, 10:46 AM

can you pack cooked quinoa in a pan and then fry it like polenta?

Well... so basically, that's the question. I am new to all these grains. I know polenta can be let set, sliced and fried, so can millet. How about quinoa? I am not a good or enthusiastic cook and I am best at simple recipes. Thanks for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Here's a recipe. You can skip making the bbq sauce and do whatever you like with the polenta or used bottled bbq for easiness.
http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2...nta-bbq-sauce/
#3 Old 06-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Awesome, thanks. The thing I should have said was, my doctor has said I am sensitive to corn, so I am looking for a recipe with just quinoa right now. Will this recipe work with just quinoa, does it have the right consistency? Thanks.

#4 Old 06-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quinoa isn't a grain but a seed. Once it soaks up water it doesn't "mush" together like grains would, so I could see adding it to other things that would bind.
First thought is garbanzo flour-besan. You can make a dish very much polenta, made the same way. Besan is a very versatile bean flour.

I LOVE these kinds of questions! While searching for the besan polenta recipe I found this site:
http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recip...flour-recipes/
You should try the chickpea tofu mixed with quinoa-although I have seen better laid out recipes for that. I liked the vegan mxxtballs myself.

This is a basic recipe for Socca-chickpea flour pancakes, from Vegetarian Times:
Summertime Socca
Serves 4

1 cup chickpea flour
2 cups water
2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
1 tsp. salt

1. Combine flour, water, 1 Tbs. olive oil, and salt in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and frothy, then let rest for at least 1 hour. The batter will retain a very wet consistency.

2. Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease a 10.5-inch pie pan with 1 Tbs. olive oil, and warm in oven for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and gently pour in chickpea batter. Bake 45 to 60 minutes, or until the top begins to brown. To serve, let cool, then slice into wedges and season with salt and pepper to taste.

You can also make your own flour by putting chickpeas in a food processor, grinder or high speed blender. I never tried that, but now I will!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page