Spanish Rice - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2013, 04:20 PM

You just made yourself some refried beans and think, how amazing. Let's make some Spanish rice. You open the cupboard and oh shoot, you don't have tomato sauce. Don't fear, there is another solution to make a Spanish right alternative.

Spanish Rice

1 cup of rice

1 cup of water

Small cup of water [for later, the amount of water in the cup doesn't matter, this really depends on taste, I like mine dry, so I just have a little bit of water] and I mean a small cup don't make your rice to soggy

Vegetable bouillon cube

Spices [Cumin, Ms. Dash Chipotle seasoning, Granulated garlic, granulated onion, cayenne pepper, cumin, Cajun seasoning, black pepper, and chili powder (optional I like it cause it gives it spice)]

Onion [red or yellow, depends on the flavor you want. Red onion is more bitter and will balance out the spice with a more dull bitter flavor. Yellow is more sweet and will give it a kind of sweet kick]

1. Boil your rice in a pot, with the water and the vegetable cube

2. While rice is cooking cut onion however you like them, I liked them kind of chunky and diced not minced

3. When rice is finished turn off  and let rice cool for a while. I generally put it in the refigerator for an hour [just as if you were making fried rice]

4. When rice is finished cooling heat up a pan, remember hot pan cold oil. When pan is nice and hot spray Pam or whatever cooking spray you use unto the pan

5. Brown the onions unto the pan, then add a little drop of the water from the small cup unto the onions to keep them from burning

6. Add the rice and stir fry for three minutes, add small amounts of water as you go to make sure nothing burns

7. Add spices [I don't measure my spices, I'm the type of person who likes bold spices and bold flavor and thus I put  spices to suit my taste], add the rest of the water. Give it another one to two minutes and then turn off heat

8. After letting it cool, serve it up

---

I hope everyone enjoys the recipe and I hope that it doesn't turn out bad for anyone. I have made it several times, my roommates like it and its always turned out well for me.

Mod: Edited to remove a potentially incendiary word

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

This sounds really tasty! I actually like Arroz Amarillo more than the standard Mexican Rice (with tomato sauce) so I might try this.

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#3 Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM

looks like very delicious one.... tongue3.gifthough it's tough to prepare at home. The ingredients are rare here. , But i will definitely try one day.

Aristede likes this.

#4 Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmudd29 View Post

looks like very delicious one.... tongue3.gifthough it's tough to prepare at home. The ingredients are rare here. , But i will definitely try one day.

Well, I say try your best with whatever ingredients you have around. Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I may be able to offer some assistance with substituting different ingredients. smiley.gif

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#5 Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 PM

I am from Bangladesh, a developing country of South Asia. Do you know something about us ?

#6 Old 07-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I am from Bangladesh, a developing country of South Asia. Do you know something about us ?

I do not know a great deal about Bangladesh myself, outside of the Bengal origin, but I'd love to learn more. If you're in Bangladesh, you aren't far from India and Burma (Myanmar) though, so I would substitute your own type of rice and spices like coriander, chili, etc. It might taste a little different, but it should still be good.

Aristedebook2.gif

#7 Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 PM

Yes. That would be nice. You please let me know this must, when prepared. I think it's gonna be a blast for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

I do not know a great deal about Bangladesh myself, outside of the Bengal origin, but I'd love to learn more. If you're in Bangladesh, you aren't far from India and Burma (Myanmar) though, so I would substitute your own type of rice and spices like coriander, chili, etc. It might taste a little different, but it should still be good.

Aristedebook2.gif

#8 Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes. That would be nice. You please let me know this must, when prepared. I think it's gonna be a blast for me.

I'll definitely let you know when I try to make it. I'll even try adding coriander and cumin as well. Are you going to try to make it too?

Aristedebook2.gif

#9 Old 09-12-2013, 11:39 AM

Here I am responding belated, but the spices are chose are for what I have in the pantry. And the recipes never stays the same. Its always with what I have. So don't worry about adding different ingredients to much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page