• 3 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By TheHappyBeans

#1 Old 03-27-2015, 06:42 PM

Red face vegan/vegetarian lasagna

Bit rustic, but very yummy! Check it out at
http://whoinvitedthevegan.com/veganvegetarianlasagna/
LedBoots and David3 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2015, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

"1/2 cup of beef stock" for the white sauce? Really?
#3 Old 03-28-2015, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
"1/2 cup of beef stock" for the white sauce? Really?
If you look in the main ingredients list towards the top of the recipe, it mentions faux beef stock. I wonder if the writer meant this when listing beef stock further down? It would probably be helpful though for them to clarify this. :0

I know there are vegan faux beef and chicken stocks in the Whole Foods Coop store I shop at.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 03-28-2015, 05:10 AM

Hey guys,

I listed Massels (vegan stock) as my stock that I used and didn't think I needed to mention it again in the white sauce ingredients.

I'll update my post so theres no confusion

- Emily
Naturebound likes this.

#5 Old 03-28-2015, 05:26 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily1990 View Post
Hey guys,

I listed Massels (vegan stock) as my stock that I used and didn't think I needed to mention it again in the white sauce ingredients.

- Emily
When I say stuff like "chicken nuggets", people look at me surprised. I mean chikken you guys!.
#6 Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

This is a real peeve for me! The reason it tastes like beef (or chicken, or other meat) stock, is because it has the same HERBS, the whole "seasoning' thing! NOT because it tastes like water that you used to boil meat!

I don't have any new terms to use instead, since we're so used to the things that make "beef" taste like "beef", and chicken taste like chicken. I know that marmite, mushrooms, carmelized onions are more beefy, and sage thyme and parsley more chik'ny. Maybe something like dark savory veg broth, and light herby veg broth?

Yes, I use those terms too. I love Better than Boullion no chickn broth. It's just ironic that it tastes like what we know as chicken broth, but if you took the seasoning out of real chicken broth it's just ---disgusting. It doesn't taste anything like "chicken broth" without seasoning, but if you take the 'chicken' out of it, it still tastes like it!
#7 Old 03-28-2015, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Meat by itself doesn't taste like much of anything, does it? It's been so long since I had it, I can't remember. I feel like it was pretty bland except for the seasoning and sauce.
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily1990 View Post
Hey guys,

- Emily
Thanks Emily.

The way it's presented though could indicate that the red sauce and the white sauce have different stocks as one mentions "faux beef", the other just "beef". Why not just leave out 'beef' for the 2nd mention (for the white sauce) and call it 'stock'?

Leedsveg

Last edited by leedsveg; 03-30-2015 at 01:26 AM.
#9 Old 03-28-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Meat by itself doesn't taste like much of anything, does it? It's been so long since I had it, I can't remember. I feel like it was pretty bland except for the seasoning and sauce.
I had a friend who said he could never be vegetarian as he couldn't eat lentils etc as a substitute for meat because they tasted 'boring'. I suggested that he ate some plain beef mince, no sauce & no seasoning, and then talk to me about boring. Last I heard, he was vegetarian

The lasagne looks great. And Temple Breuer wine - one of my favourites when I lived in Australia.
Emily1990 likes this.

Tags
lasagna , rustic , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page