Traditional Chick'n and Dumplings

Category: Main Dishes - Other

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian diet

Preparation Time: 60 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

Stew:

2-3 cups Quorn Chik'n Tenders (bite size pieces, in a bag)

1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour

Salt and Pepper

2 TBL Peanut Oil

1 TBL Butter

1/2 cup celery

1/2 cup onion

Bay Leaf

1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped (or about 1/2 tsp dried)

1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped (or about 1/2 tsp dried)

2 cups vegetable broth

1 cup heavy cream or soy milk + 2 tsp soy milk powder (powder optional, see below)

Dumpling:

1 cup All-Purpose Flour, sifted

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 TBL dill, chopped

1/2 cup soy milk

Instructions:

1) Thaw chik'n. Combine flour with salt and pepper (to taste).

2) Heat oil/butter over med-high heat until hot, not smoking. Dip chik'n in flour and shake off excess.

3) Brown chik'n on all sides (don't overcook, I only cooked them maybe 2-3 minutes).

4) Add celery and onion, cook 2 minutes.

5) Add bay leaf, thyme, parsley, and stock. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes.

6) Stir in cream/milk and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.

7) Prepare dumplings. Mix ingredients together to form a thick batter. Drop a TBL at a time into the stew. Cover tightly and cook 20 extra minutes.

8) Remove bay leaf and serve immediately.

Additional comments:

This recipe came from my sister's culinary school, I just modified it to make it vegetarian. Super easy to make vegan, just substitute a vegan chik'n in place of the Quorn brand. This is the ultimate comfort food. I was wondering if substituting soy milk in place of the heavy cream would make it less thick, so I added a tiny bit of soy milk powder to make it bit thicker. I don't know if it's necessary though. In the end, the thickness was perfect. I served mine with oven roasted asparagus. Enjoy!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

I used vegan margarine in place of the butter and soy milk in place of the the other dairy products. Worked out perfectly!
#3 Old 04-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Traditional Chick'n and Dumplings

Category: Main Dishes - Other

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian diet

Preparation Time: 60 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

Stew:

2-3 cups Quorn Chik'n Tenders (bite size pieces, in a bag)

1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour

Salt and Pepper

2 TBL Peanut Oil

1 TBL Butter

1/2 cup celery

1/2 cup onion

Bay Leaf

1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped (or about 1/2 tsp dried)

1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped (or about 1/2 tsp dried)

2 cups vegetable broth

1 cup heavy cream or soy milk + 2 tsp soy milk powder (powder optional, see below)

Dumpling:

1 cup All-Purpose Flour, sifted

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 TBL dill, chopped

1/2 cup soy milk

Instructions:

1) Thaw chik'n. Combine flour with salt and pepper (to taste).

2) Heat oil/butter over med-high heat until hot, not smoking. Dip chik'n in flour and shake off excess.

3) Brown chik'n on all sides (don't overcook, I only cooked them maybe 2-3 minutes).

4) Add celery and onion, cook 2 minutes.

5) Add bay leaf, thyme, parsley, and stock. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes.

6) Stir in cream/milk and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.

7) Prepare dumplings. Mix ingredients together to form a thick batter. Drop a TBL at a time into the stew. Cover tightly and cook 20 extra minutes.

8) Remove bay leaf and serve immediately.

Additional comments:

This recipe came from my sister's culinary school, I just modified it to make it vegetarian. Super easy to make vegan, just substitute a vegan chik'n in place of the Quorn brand. This is the ultimate comfort food. I was wondering if substituting soy milk in place of the heavy cream would make it less thick, so I added a tiny bit of soy milk powder to make it bit thicker. I don't know if it's necessary though. In the end, the thickness was perfect. I served mine with oven roasted asparagus. Enjoy!

Thank you!

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#4 Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Just wonder where you'd find the Quorn Chik'n Tenders? I've never heard of it or seen it. Heh. But just wondering because I really want to make this.
#5 Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Not very many stores carry Quorn brand. Here's a product locator: http://www.quorn.us//cmpage.aspx?pageid=475 (If for some reason that link doesn't work, you can access the locator through the Quorn site)

If you can't find them, you can use another chicken substitute, but I honestly haven't found anything similar yet. The chik'n tenders are just like real chicken chunks, no breading or anything. Good luck!
#6 Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Let me know if you find them and make this
#7 Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 AM

I can't find the tenders. Could I use the naked cutlets?
#8 Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 AM

I have a recipe for similar chic-n-dumplings that I've made for years as veg. chicken products have morphed and changed into different products. (At least in my recipe and I would assume in this one too) Naked Cutlets work, your own homemade "chicken" flavour seitan works, Morningstar Farms Chicken style Meal Starters work, Quorn works... there may be a slightly different texture but they all should work.
#9 Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skittles View Post

I can't find the tenders. Could I use the naked cutlets?

Of course I actually think they're the same product, just in larger form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I have a recipe for similar chic-n-dumplings that I've made for years as veg. chicken products have morphed and changed into different products. (At least in my recipe and I would assume in this one too) Naked Cutlets work, your own homemade "chicken" flavour seitan works, Morningstar Farms Chicken style Meal Starters work, Quorn works... there may be a slightly different texture but they all should work.

Yes, seitan would work too I've never been a fan of the Meal Starters, I've never been able to not overcook them (turns them rubbery). Although I'm starting to believe that's just how they are. Unfortunately Quorn isn't vegan, but I honestly think it's the best faux chicken on the market. I've contacted the company a few times and it seems like they're working on a vegan version. Hope so.
#10 Old 06-11-2009, 03:59 PM

They have chunks by loma linda and something at vegan essentials in a packet that would work well as long as you add them after the cooking just to warm through. Or this?

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp
#11 Old 07-26-2016, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

I made this again recently and it was so good! I veganized it too. Quorn FINALLY has a vegan chik'n product available, which is awesome for me since most chik'n subs are soy based and I'm soy intolerant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page