#1 Old 07-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Beginner

Chana masala (chickpeas in sauce)

Category: Main Dishes - Other

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

1 cup canned chickpeas (drained)

1/2 onion, chopped (I used half because our onions are strong - feel free to use more)

1 tsp turmeric powder

1 tsp garam masala powder (available in Indian stores)

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tsp coriander powder

1/2 tin chopped tomatoes (or fresh if you prefer)

1 tsp chana masala powder

1 garlic clove, finely chopped or minced

1 tsp ginger powder

1/2 cup water

vegetable oil

salt to taste

Instructions:

1. Heat some vegetable oil in a saucepan. When it is hot, add the chopped onion and fry. The amount you fry the onion depends on taste. Sometimes I fry till transparent, sometimes I prefer them brown. Caution: Do not over-fry and burn the onions.

2. Add turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, garlic, chana masala powder, salt, and ginger.

3. Add tomatoes and cook till they are soft and the mixture begins to thicken and the smell of the masala powders have lessened.

4. Add the chickpeas and half a glass of water. Stir to combine.

5. Cover the mixture and let it simmer until the tomato paste is of the consistency you desire (about 10 minutes).

6. Take off the heat and spoon into a bowl. Serve with bread (chapati, naan, paratha), rice, or on its own.

Additional comments:

Indian food varies a lot depending on taste. You will notice that I didn't include chili, while it is often cited in Indian recipes. I didn't add it because I don't particularly like it, but feel free to add chili powder or chopped green chilis if you want! The same goes for all the ingredients - add, subtract, and adjust according to your taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Beginner

This is one of my favorite Indian dishes. Definitely going to try your recipe, thanks!!
#3 Old 08-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Beginner

Curries are a staple in our house. This just adds another to the list! I can't wait to try it!
#4 Old 08-13-2006, 05:34 AM
Beginner

This sounds scrummy. What is chana masala powder? I have garam masala but have not seen chana. How is it different from garam? Do you get it in the same place at the supermarket? Maybe it is there and I've never noticed before.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#5 Old 08-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Beginner

I will definately make this ...I LOVE Indian food...
#6 Old 08-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

This sounds scrummy. What is chana masala powder? I have garam masala but have not seen chana. How is it different from garam? Do you get it in the same place at the supermarket? Maybe it is there and I've never noticed before.

I'm wondering the same thing. I came across the garam while browsing through the spices, but I haven't seen the chana masala.
#7 Old 08-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Beginner

I've never heard of the chana masala spice either. I've used garam masala and some other common spices to make this before (not this particular recipe though) and it turned out well, although not totally authentic.
#8 Old 08-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Beginner

Chana masala usually contains powdered chili, amchur, salt, cumin, black salt, coriander, black pepper, fennel seeds, ginger and ajma. There are some good brands selling this masala in India, I am not sure if you get those in other countries.

If you can't get chana masala , you can add little bit of above ingredients to your preparation as per your taste requirements.

Chana masala is mostly optional thing for me.

One more thing : Take a little of the chickpeas aside and grind it into soft paste in a grinder. Add this paste to the curry after step 4 in Leia's recipe and see the difference. The taste of Chana Masala becomes richer and the curry becomes thicker.

Try this way too, it's nice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page