What is your favorite protein to build a meal around? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Question What is your favorite protein to build a meal around?

I've gotten a little lazy lately kind of just alternating tofu or black beans as the main ingredient in our dinners. I need some new ideas without using processed meat replacements like quorn or gardein. What are your favorites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Chickpeas. I like to do sauteed chickpeas, green beans, onion and season it with salt and black pepper (sometimes garlic too). Accompany it with roasted baby potatoes or rice, or whatever you feel like.
Red kidney beans is my favourite type of bean to have with rice. I also like fava beans with potatoes and hearts of palm, with some olive oil and minced garlic.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 03-03-2017, 07:12 PM
person

Tofu - firm for some meals, fluffy for others.

TVP

Nuts

seitan -find your own amino acids because it doesn't have any.

Chickpeas

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

#4 Old 03-04-2017, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Setian is great, you can make your own from vital wheat gluten flour. Put it in stews, fajitas or sandwiches
Quinoa is nice for salads, or you can use it on the side like rice or couscous if your main meal is predominant vegetable based (eg: vegetable curry)
Just using soya milk in your breakfast smoothie, will bump up your protein intake quite a lot for the day (I use cronOMeter and can always see a reduction in protein intake when I've switched to almond milk or oat milk)
#5 Old 03-04-2017, 10:23 AM

I would add:
- buckwheat, which strictly speaking is not a cereal like wheat, and which is a complete protein. As a porridge (the Russian kasha), or as pancakes (galettes).
- lentils, which can be cooked in so many ways.
#6 Old 03-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
Tofu - firm for some meals, fluffy for others.

TVP

Nuts

seitan -find your own amino acids because it doesn't have any.

Chickpeas
Heck yeah it does!
http://www.bertyn.eu/en/seitan/prote...uorn-or-seitan

I cook a different batch of beans, or mixed beans, every Sunday and make dips, spreads, soups, casseroles, sides with them for the week.
I love tempeh and tofu, and have experiment with a different way to make seitan at least once a month. I often combine gluten with beans

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 03-04-2017, 08:24 PM

I usually do tofu, beans, or fake meats such as Boca burgers.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page