Vegan Bubble and Squeak - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thalassa
  • 1 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 12-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Bandit

Vegan Bubble and Squeak

Traditional English way of using leftover veggies, often cooked potato and cabbage from roast dinner - but in my case I still had nearly half a head of raw cabbage and plenty of fresh dill lying around from my holiday borscht, so I whipped this together. Feel free to make minor changes to fit your circumstances.

You will need:

1/2 head medium cabbage or 1/3 large cabbage
3-4 carrots
Mashed potatoes (either homemade, or quickly from boxed potato flakes with soy milk and vegan butter)
1 small to medium onion or 1/2 large onion
Fresh dill or parsley
Oil or vegan butter
Salt and pepper

Optional:

Left over or freshly cooked peas OR Brussels sprouts
2 tsp of stevia or raw sugar
Paprika
Vegan sour cream
Unsweetened apple sauce
Vegan brown or mushroom gravy

If starting from left over raw veggies, boil cabbage and sliced carrots til just tender. Boil with stevia or raw sugar if desired.

Meanwhile, mix left over or instant mashed potatoes with dill or parsley.

When cabbage and carrots are tender, drain water and saute in pan with onion and oil or vegan butter until onion is soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add a touch of paprika if desired.

Remove from heat. In a mixing bowl, gently fold in sautéed vegetables to mashed potatoes. If using peas or Brussels sprouts, feel free to skip the carrots, but cabbage and potatoes are fundamental.

Form mixture into patties. Pan fry til golden brown. Set on paper towel to absorb excess oil while cooling.

Can be served with sour cream or apple sauce like latkes, or for a more authentic savory comfort food, serve with brown or mushroom gravy instead.
Spudulika likes this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Bandit

Just as a general tip, the unsweetened applesauce provides a perfect contrast to this fried food of bitter vegetables, and that's my top recommendation...however if for some reason you skip the cabbage or Brussels sprouts and only use the potatoes, peas and onion, then sour cream might be better for you, especially if you're really craving fatty foods. The brown gravy is a more traditional British topping and will likely complement any combination of vegetables, depending on your personal taste or mood, of course.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#3 Old 01-04-2017, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Bubble and squeak is great, thanks for the reminder - I must make some soon
Thalassa likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page