Vegan Squash, Chickpea, and Coconut Curry - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By mybell
  • 2 Post By Ashalicious
  • 1 Post By MaddieR523

#1 Old 04-09-2015, 01:44 PM

Vegan Squash, Chickpea, and Coconut Curry

This is easy to make in your slow cooker and it's super healthy! Included in the article and recipe is health and medicinal information for turmeric, a key ingredient in curry powder.
http://mybell.hubpages.com/hub/Squas...t-Curry-Recipe
Naturebound and tokyobags like this.

Last edited by mybell; 04-09-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Formerly Sick-Now Healthy

Looks delish!

EatPlant-Based.com
#3 Old 01-11-2016, 01:25 PM

Do I need to soak my dried chick peas first, before adding them? Or can I just add them to the crock pot? I've never worked with dried chick peas before....wondering if I need to zip back to the market and get canned ones.

#4 Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^ In my experience, chick peas are one of the beans that take longer to cook, compared to navy or pinto beans. I always soak them. They would cook without presoaking, but it would take them longer and the other things in the stew would probably be overcooked.

EDITED TO ADD: I read the recipe and it doesn't say anything about presoaking. I don't know if that was an error, but the directions don't say to soak them first. (This recipe sounds yummy BTW- too bad I've already cooked the butternut squash I grew this past summer.)

EDITED TO ADD AGAIN: correction: it sounds yummy except for the addition of cilantro at the end. But if you like the stuff, enjoy! I'll just leave it out if I make this, or maybe substitute parsley. I still think the chickpeas should be soaked first though.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 01-11-2016 at 02:14 PM.
#5 Old 01-11-2016, 02:16 PM

I've got everything in the slow cooker now. Hopefully it works out. I am a bit nervous though, because I've never made a curry before, and I am worried all the veggies are going to turn to mush.
#6 Old 01-11-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
^^^ In my experience, chick peas are one of the beans that take longer to cook, compared to navy or pinto beans. I always soak them. They would cook without presoaking, but it would take them longer and the other things in the stew would probably be overcooked.

EDITED TO ADD: I read the recipe and it doesn't say anything about presoaking. I don't know if that was an error, but the directions don't say to soak them first. (This recipe sounds yummy BTW- too bad I've already cooked the butternut squash I grew this past summer.)

EDITED TO ADD AGAIN: correction: it sounds yummy except for the addition of cilantro at the end. But if you like the stuff, enjoy! I'll just leave it out if I make this, or maybe substitute parsley. I still think the chickpeas should be soaked first though.
Well hopefully it isn't botched because I didn't soak the chickpeas. I spent a lot of money buying all the stuff for this recipe, and will be pretty pissed if it doesn't turn out. Fingers crossed.
#7 Old 01-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^^That seems to be the norm for Indian cooking though: food is usually well-cooked. At worst, the chickpeas will be chewy. It will probably be great.

Have you had food like this in restaurants, or at friends'?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#8 Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Great news, the curry worked out perfectly!
Tom and tokyobags like this.
#9 Old 01-19-2016, 04:12 PM

Does anyone have any similar recipies???
#10 Old 05-17-2016, 09:05 AM

Looks super delicious!! :-)
#11 Old 05-17-2016, 09:09 AM

I just tried this vegan chickpea curry with potatoes last week and I really loved it! Maybe you'd like this one too, Ashalicious. :-) It doesn't have squash but I really like the addition of potatoes. Haven't had that before...
LedBoots likes this.

Tags
chickpea , curry , slow cooker , squash , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page