Punkmommy's Nacho "Cheese" Sauce - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Administrator

nacho "cheese" by punkmommy

Category: Dips/Spreads/Condiments

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

1/2 C nutritional yeast

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp mustard powder

2 C water

1/2 C flour

2 tsp garlic powder

lots of fresh ground black pepper

3 TBSP vegan margarine

lots of salsa ( or about 1/4 C )

hot sauce

Instructions:

Whisk all dry ingredients together in a small saucepan. Whisk in the water. When it is smooth, add the vegan margarine. Heat on med. until thickened, whisking constantly. Add salsa and hot sauce and serve!

Additional comments:

Best with tortilla chips, or make nacho supreme with tortilla chips, beans,lettuce, tomato, scallions, olives and nacho "cheese" mmmmm

This sauce also makes good grilled "cheese" sandwiches when it's cooled. Just spread on bread and grill.

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2006, 02:32 PM

bumping this recipe since I've heard good things about it and I had some trouble finding it. I'm going to try it this week and post a review later

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#3 Old 11-25-2006, 12:08 PM

It is a freakin awesome recipe just had "cheese" and tomato sandwiches for lunch with it. I wonder if it can be made into a slicable cheese if agar flakes are added to it?

#4 Old 11-25-2006, 02:35 PM

oops, new i forgot to post my review! I tried it and am in love with it. I lived off nachoes and "cheese" for a week when I first made it. Well I have some leftover in the fridge too. Haven't tried making sandwiches wiht it tho. hmm.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#5 Old 04-15-2007, 03:20 PM

I like to make spicy mac-n-cheese w/ leftover sauce and boca crumbles. I also like to use taco sauce instead of salsa, it makes it taste more like that nacho cheese they have at the gas station.
#6 Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 PM

I made a mexican lasagna with this as the cheese sauce tonight and it was yummy.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#7 Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 AM

I'm currently making a Three Layer Mexican Pie from fatfreevegan.com..

But I am replacing the middle "cheeze" layer with this recipe.

I will post the results when I taste it later!
#8 Old 04-20-2008, 05:54 AM

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
#9 Old 04-20-2008, 06:01 AM

I wonder if this would be as good without the earth balance.

I want to cut-out oils & added fats from my diet (as much as possible).
#10 Old 04-20-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy_Sav View Post

I wonder if this would be as good without the earth balance.

I want to cut-out oils & added fats from my diet (as much as possible).

i forgot to add it last time and it tasted great to us! i will be leaving it out in the future.
#11 Old 04-20-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy_Sav View Post

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I guess it was good!! I'll have to try this one.
#12 Old 04-20-2008, 09:26 AM

what do you call cheese that isnt yours? nacho-cheese! sorry, couldn't resist it sounds really nice ill have to try it.
#13 Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yblad View Post

what do you call cheese that isnt yours? nacho-cheese! sorry, couldn't resist it sounds really nice ill have to try it.

Haha, that actually made me choke on my water.
#14 Old 07-28-2008, 08:07 AM

Is ground mustard the same thing as mustard powder?
#15 Old 07-28-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegchica13 View Post

Is ground mustard the same thing as mustard powder?

If it's ground mustard seed, it would work, if its stone ground mustard (prepared) it is different.

I actually make a cheeze sauce with stone ground mustard though and it's good, like "pub cheese sauce".

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#16 Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

If it's ground mustard seed, it would work, if its stone ground mustard (prepared) it is different.

I actually make a cheeze sauce with stone ground mustard though and it's good, like "pub cheese sauce".

Hmmm it actually doesn't say anywhere on the bottle. But it's all they had in the spices section. It looks like a powder though.
#17 Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 AM

Oh, then, I think that it's what you need.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#18 Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Oh, then, I think that it's what you need.

Thanks AHIMSA! And welcome back!
#19 Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 AM

You're welcome and thanks!

#20 Old 07-28-2008, 10:35 AM

i don't think we can buy nutritional yeast here in the uk

would love to give this recipe a try any subs?
#21 Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM

Nutritional yeast is what "makes" this recipe. I really do not think there are any substitutes. You could ask in the UK forums if it's avilable anywhere? I was thinking I'd seen discussion that it IS available, but I have no idea where. Or get someone to send you some? Sorry, not too helpful, I know.
#22 Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 PM

I just made this. I didn't have any hot sauce, but I added almost twice as much salsa as it recommends and went a little heavy on the spices. It's really great!! I'll definitely be making it again.
#23 Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Do you think that soy milk could be used instead of water, just to make it creamier?
#24 Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 AM

I've never tried that but it might work. I think it's pretty creamy on it's own. I add No-Chicken broth for some of the water, too.

And I add a spritz of lemon. That really adds something.
#25 Old 05-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Hallelujah!

I went to my local health food co-op last week and finally found nutritional yeast- the yellowish flaky stuff- NOT the nutritious-but-thoroughly-nasty brewer's yeast powder I had used previously.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#26 Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 PM

I make mine similarly, using unsweetened soymilk and umeboshi vinegar/Red Hot or chopped jalapenos and juice and it is delicious!

#27 Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Hallelujah!

I went to my local health food co-op last week and finally found nutritional yeast- the yellowish flaky stuff- NOT the nutritious-but-thoroughly-nasty brewer's yeast powder I had used previously.

I've been using nutritional yeast for a while now, so I know what it looks and tastes like. About a month ago I went to pick some up at Whole foods, but they were out and one of the employees convinced me to buy brewers yeast, since he said it is the same stuff....No, NO it is NOT! I was so disapointed because it didnt work as a substitute for flavor at all! It has more of a nutty flavor. I now only buy KAL Nutritional yeast flake, it is seriously the best tasting nutrional yeast out there, I could eat it straight out of the container!
#28 Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

I've been using nutritional yeast for a while now, so I know what it looks and tastes like. About a month ago I went to pick some up at Whole foods, but they were out and one of the employees convinced me to buy brewers yeast, since he said it is the same stuff....No, NO it is NOT! I was so disapointed because it didnt work as a substitute for flavor at all! It has more of a nutty flavor. I now only buy KAL Nutritional yeast flake, it is seriously the best tasting nutrional yeast out there, I could eat it straight out of the container!

What is it with Whole Foods and brewers yeast? They did the same thing to me... well tried anyway. I told them that I wanted to follow a specific recipe and they laid off a bit. But I've been told that it's not the same flavor at all by many people.
#29 Old 05-19-2009, 06:06 PM

I made this tonight as a sauce for mac n cheese (I left out the salsa and hot sauce). Mixed it in with cooked macaroni, topped with breadcrumbs, salt & pepper, baked in the oven, and voila! Yummy mac n cheese
#30 Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 PM

When I made this I used it for mac'n cheez too, but I left the salsa in--I think it really makes the sauce. It worked for you without it, though? Maybe I will try it sometime. Seems like it would still need something to add a bit of 'zing' though.

OH, I do have some advice though.. xD Though matter how tempting it might be to want your cheez really fluorescent yellow, do NOT add turmeric... It does NOT compliment the flavors at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page