• 2 Post By Thalassa
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 3 Post By Avril
  • 1 Post By Thalassa
  • 2 Post By Monique Andrea

#1 Old 12-31-2016, 01:19 PM
Bandit

When You Can't Find Vegan "Tartar" Sauce

This is so quick and easy and may use ingredients that you already have in the fridge, so that you don't have to search far and wide for vegan tartar sauce nor pay extra for vegan, when you are having Gardein Fishless Filets or Crabless Cakes (or any other thing that you can think of, like a homemade vegan Po Boy sammich!)

You will need:

Just Mayo/Vegenaise

OR

Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream (or homemade)

I recommend the mayo but trust me vegan sour cream works!

Plus:

1 whole lemon or 1-3 tbsp of liquid lemon juice
1/2 - 1 whole large dill pickle OR several sweet gherkins (pickle should be chosen by personal taste or whatever you have)
1-2 tbsp of pickle juice from the jar
Salt n pepper to taste

Adjust amount to servings desired. For two servings, dish out a few generous spoonfuls of mayo or sour cream, and use the smaller portions of lemon juice and pickle. In fact for the smallest portion, I like lots of pickles, so I use about half a dill, but you could use 1/4. But don't use less or you'll just have lemon pepper mayo!

For more servings, use at least 1/4-1/3 cup of mayo or sour cream, up to three tbsp of lemon juice, up to 2 tbsp of pickle juice and up to an entire whole pickle sliced into small bits with a sharp knife.

Salt and pepper to taste. Don't hold back on the pepper though, remember tartar sauce usually has a sprinkling of tiny black dots.

That's it! It tastes really good, I do it this way almost always, I have literally only purchased vegan mayo one time and eat fishless filets on a semi-regular basis.
Purp and Spudulika like this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-2016, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

I just mix Just Mayo with sweet pickle relish- though I have used chopped dill pickles
For Thousand Island dressing I add ketchup and minced onion

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 12-31-2016, 05:58 PM

I like chopped capers in my tartar sauce along with the pickles and lemon juice. I've made my own tartar sauce since before I decided to go vegan, so it's not a big thing to me. I make it in a single serve portion, though, rather than a larger recipe. You can also add fresh herbs if you have them around. I keep herbs in my kitchen window. Dill is good with this, and/or parsley.
Purp, Spudulika and Thalassa like this.

#4 Old 12-31-2016, 06:39 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I like chopped capers in my tartar sauce along with the pickles and lemon juice. I've made my own tartar sauce since before I decided to go vegan, so it's not a big thing to me. I make it in a single serve portion, though, rather than a larger recipe. You can also add fresh herbs if you have them around. I keep herbs in my kitchen window. Dill is good with this, and/or parsley.
Mmm capers! I'll have to try that.
Purp likes this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 04-23-2017, 09:07 PM

I totally love vegan mayo. Even a simple dish can actually tastes it better. I serve it my kids as a nachos dip or even in my own version of salad and my creamy sandwich with fresh lettuce.
silva and Purp like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page