Tzatziki without yogurt - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Oooo
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 01-06-2016, 05:16 PM

Talking Tzatziki without yogurt

Hi all,

I am a real fan of Tzatziki! But since I am transitioning to go vegan (started this week) I need another way to make this great sauce. I read it was possible with either tofu or soy yogurt. Anyone experience in using these products in a sauce??

Thanks!
Thalassa4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Oh I miss soy yogurt! I just started liking Trader Joes before the factory burned down! I haven't seen the big containers of Silk either!
I like tzatziki with soy yogurt, but I do use silken tofu for all kinds of sour cream and dips.That would work well with lemon juice, or a light vinegar, like rice, to taste.

I just use grated cucumber and onion and parsley. Anything else? I haven't done that since making seitan gyros. Sounds good!
#3 Old 01-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Veggie Recycler

I'm interested in this as well, because before I started processing towards vegan one of my favorite vegetarian meals was Greek food with tzatziki. I mean hummus and pita, tabouleh, or lentil soup, are still options but I honestly won't eat falafel without tzatziki.

Pinterist is great for vegan recipes or nutrition tips, if you avoid the 30 bananas people.

#4 Old 01-07-2016, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I like this recipe:

http://thesethingsilove.com/2013/03/vegan-tzatziki/

I have used coconut milk based yogurt like SoDelicious (as in the above recipe) because it is easier to find plain or unsweetened in this variety. Also, try adding a little Toffutti vegan sour cream (I have had luck finding it in most mainstream groceries in the U.S. and always buy the nonhydrogenated stuff). It adds a creaminess and richness to the dish. I think blended silken tofu would work too but I haven't tried that one. I don't like creamy stuff too sweet and vegan yogurts always seem to be that way (except the unsweetened SoDelicious coconut yogurt but even that has a tinge of sweetness). I have used tofu to make puddings for breakfast that mimic greek yogurt and are not too sweet. The Tofutti sour cream and cream cheese are not sweet at all and mixed with vegan yogurt make them creamier.
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 01-07-2016, 05:03 PM

Yes I was planning to make the seitan gyros this weekend and tzatziki just has to be part of it!

Unfortunately I don't have a blender to make the tofu, but perhaps I need to get one badly (also to make some other stuff faster and easier..).
@Naturebound where can I buy the SoDelicious coconut? Whole foods, Trader Joes, Co-op market? I don't want to drive around town.. Does it have a strong coconut taste, since that doesn't really match with the tzatziki..

Thanks for the tips!
#6 Old 01-08-2016, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oooo View Post
Yes I was planning to make the seitan gyros this weekend and tzatziki just has to be part of it!

Unfortunately I don't have a blender to make the tofu, but perhaps I need to get one badly (also to make some other stuff faster and easier..).
@Naturebound where can I buy the SoDelicious coconut? Whole foods, Trader Joes, Co-op market? I don't want to drive around town.. Does it have a strong coconut taste, since that doesn't really match with the tzatziki..

Thanks for the tips!
Surprisingly, unsweetened coconut yogurt doesn't really taste all that much like coconut, especially when mixed with other foods. I have been able to find it at my local Whole Foods Coop, but also at my local grocery stores (we have Super One and Cub Foods here). Often it is on the shelves next to the dairy yogurts. There used to be plain silk soy yogurts but as of late all I can find are the flavored ones, but I have used vanilla flavor soy yogurt in dishes with some success. The Tofutti Sour cream can also be found in local grocery stores. For the SoDelicious yogurts, here is a store finder tool you can use to see where to find them:

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/store-finder

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 01-08-2016, 03:55 PM

I have a heck of a time finding unsweetened vegan yogurt, so I use this recipe to make my own yogurt, then use that to make tzatziki. It's delicious, but a bit of a pain if I don't have a batch of yogurt ready.

Also, @Oooo , do you have a recipe for those seitan gyros?
#8 Old 01-08-2016, 04:30 PM

Thanks again @Naturebound I'll start my search!
@Eternal Sunshine this is the link seitan gyros.

Thanks for the yoghurt recipe! I will just try all options lol
#9 Old 01-10-2016, 05:46 PM

Just made the tzatziki with the So Delicious coconut yogurt. It had great taste but was unfortunately too watery... Next time try to make it with tofu for more structure perhaps.
#10 Old 01-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oooo View Post
Just made the tzatziki with the So Delicious coconut yogurt. It had great taste but was unfortunately too watery... Next time try to make it with tofu for more structure perhaps.
Here's a tofu recipe that looks good
http://greenevi.com/vegan-tzatziki-sauce/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page