VeggieBoards banner

Pumpkin Pie

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  clarita osita 
#1 ·
Pumpkin Pie

By: http://www.peta.org

Category: Desserts - Pies

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

2 10.5 oz pkgs. firm silken tofu drained

1 9-inch pie crust

1 16 oz. can solid pack pumpkin

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/4 tsp. ginger

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp. allspice

1/2 tsp.nutmeg

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Blend tofu in food processor until creamy and smooth. Add remaining ingredients except pie crust and blend well. Pour into crust. Bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.

Additional comments:

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's the silken tofu that comes in a juice box-like container and it says "firm" on it. It's the same tofu I use to make my chocolate pie. All of the grocery stores around here carry it, it's in the produce section with the the other tofu products.

Here's some info...

http://www.morinu.com/product/tofu.html#4

#6 ·
Yes, I too would like to know if it's good. I have a few vegan Pumpkin Pie recipes that I am trying out. I know the first one I tried wasn't very good. The tip off was when my cousin took a bite and threw it back up in his plate. That's pretty much all the recipe testing I needed for that one.

#7 ·
Thankfully my guest did not throw the pie up immediately! That musta been some terrible pie. My friend even wanted seconds - so that is a good sign right?

To me it wasn't great or terrible. I actually really like the taste of the batter before baking (kinda like a pumpkin tofu smoothie). The Hip Whip kinda grossed me out at first but I have been making myself eat it since I bought it and now I really like it.

I rate this recipe a 6.5.

#8 ·
I just made 10 of these in the last week (some for a vegan outreach Thanksgiving thing) and all the omni's thought it tasted like the real deal:

These were modifed from the recipes I found at vegweb.com (I did the original recipe and found my modifications to be more like the egg/condensed milk version).

Pumpkin Peace Pie (MAKES 2)

My notes make this look long and complicated, it's not at all.

Ingredients:

1 29 oz canned pumpkin (All brands are vegan, it's just pumpkins. Make sure yours reads just pumpkins. Some brands already add spices, and that would not be good.)

1 1/2 cups vegan sugar (this means turbinado, found cheaply in bulk at health food stores. It's basically unrefined sugar, or sugar in the raw [found at regular grocery stores]. Unrefined sugar is not "bone chared" with animal bones as white sugar is).

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (this is about $2.50 - 3.00 for about 10 pies)

1 16oz silken tofu (FIRM)

The key to tofu is the different consistencies. In this case you want SILKEN but FIRM. I get the Mori-Nu brand and it lasts unrefrigerated for a LOOONG time). I get two containers and use 1 1/2 to make two pies (12.3 oz per container, so basically I use more tofu than the original recipe and my pies are creamier with less sugary taste). You can also get a 16 ounce Silken Firm. Remember, you must use firm. That's right, I use 18 oz and it comes out better!

* EnerG Egg Replacer for two eggs. This is a startch that is avaialbe at health food stores and I've seen it at regular stores too for baking without eggs. It's about $5.00 and you get the equivalent of about 153 eggs. Follow instructions on box to make the equiv. of 2 eggs (or email me and I'll tell you)

* 2 unbaked 9 inch pie shells (see recipe for 10 min. quick crust)

Directions:

Mix together the pumpkin, salt, vegan sugar, and pie spice.

Food process the Silken Firm tofu until smooth. Stir into the pumpkin mixture, add the EnerG egg replacer for 2 eggs. Mix together and pour into the pie shells.

Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn down the temperature to 325 and continue to bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean (or almost clean). Let it set for a couple hours to cool and refridgerate. Bake this on the middle rack. If you use a glass pie pan, check the pie earlier as glass conducts heat more quickly. If you use a dark pie pan, check earlier as well. These are basic baking tips for both vegan and non-veg cooking.

Makes: 2 pies

World's Easiest Pie Crust (makes 2)

Modified from:

http://vegweb.com/recipes/sweets/pie29.shtml

I've doubled the recipe and increased volume and also did a few more things as there is not enough in the original recipe to make edges for the pie so that you can get them out of the pan.

3 1/2 cups whole wheat PASTRY flour (don't use bread flour)

1 teaspoons salt

4 tablespoons vegan sugar (turbinado or sugar in the raw)

1 1/4 cup oil (Expeller pressed Safflower Oil is what I use and recommend)

5 tablespoons vegan soymilk

1 tablespoon water

Directions:

Mix dry ingredients. Add liquids mush it together with your hands. Split the mush into two fairly equal chunks. Place each chunk into a 9-inch pan and start mashing it into shape. Don't worry, just work it into shape. Bring it up the sides and then form the edges. Make it an even thickness (you'll be able to tell). Use a fork to make design around edge. Put in the freezer for 5 min. Then fill with the filling and bake as instructed for the pie.

Takes about 10 min total for two crusts.

Eat in Peace,

Christina

"As long as there are slaughterhouses, there will be battlefields."

-- Leo Tolstoy

"It is my view that the vegetarian manner of living by its purely physical effect on the human temperament would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind."

-- Albert Einstein, Letter to Vegetarian Watch-Tower, 27 December 1930

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaspice View Post

I am trying this tofu pumpkin pie recipe as a trial run for the upcoming holidays. Anyone used this recipe or similar? Is it good? I even bought some 'Hip Whip' (vegan cool whip) for a topping.

I will report back tomorrow with my results.
This recipe looks very similar to what TNS does.... I believe it should turn out pretty good. I will definitely be trying it myself.

#10 ·
I made this and it was awesome! I didn't bake it long enough but it was still really good (had 45 minutes in my head, instead of an hour, for some reason). I used regular silken tofu because they don't sell firm here, and it had a very... silky texture, more like a mousse than pumkpin pie. But it was delicious, everyone loved it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.