Classic Apple Pie with Salted Caramel Sauce - Vegan - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 4 Post By Gianna

#1 Old 12-04-2013, 11:10 AM

This recipe is adapted from a combination of 4 of my favorite apple pie recipes. I cheated and used a store bought vegan crust, but the end result is very impressive, it was a huge hit at Thanksgiving! A special thanks to http://www.effyeahitsvegan.com for the caramel sauce recipe.

1 can full fat coconut milk

1 cup dark brown sugar

1 tbs vanilla

a pinch of salt

1 vegan recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

8 organic Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced super thin

1 tsp cinnamon

1 pinch nutmeg

1/4 cup water

1 tsp cornstarch

1 stick earth balance

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 cup organic white sugar

1/2 cup organic packed brown sugar

Caramel Sauce

1. Place can of coconut milk in the fridge for an hour (or over night) or even in the freezer for 20 min, so that the cream rises to the top and becomes a separate solid from the liquid. Be careful not to shake the can and keep it upright. When you open it, scoop out the 2. solid cream into a large saucepan, (not the clear liquid). 

3. Over a low flame, gently stir the cream and add the brown sugar. Continue to stir gently over the heat for about 25 min. If it ever starts to bubble up, just pull it off the flame and give it a strong stir, then go right back to the heating and stirring. 

4. After 25 min, take it off the heat and add the vanilla and salt

5. Cover and refrigerate the caramel for now. 

Note: This caramel sauce is FREAKING AMAZING, and it makes a lot from the one can, keep the leftover caramel in your fridge and use it on anything. Maybe dip in some banana slices and freeze? I have just been eating it with a spoon. 

:p

Apple Pie

1. After peeling, coring, and slicing the apples super thin (a veggie peeler makes this go by very fast,) Toss the slices with the cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside. 

2. Mix the cornstarch into the water until it is dissolved.

3. Melt the earth balance in a very large sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add the white and brown sugar, as well as the cornstarch/water mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce the temperature to a low flame, and simmer 5 minutes, then take off the heat.

4. Next place the bottom crust in your pan. I like to cut the top crust into strips to make a lattice.

5. Gently pour the apple slices into the sugar and earth balance mixture and toss to coat. 

6. Then pour that mixture into the bottom crust, it will be a pretty heaping mound, sometimes I have some slices left over, depending on the size of the apples you started with. 

7. Add your top crust, however you decide to do it, and crimp the edges to make it pretty, trying not to have any parts of the crust a whole lot thinner than any other part. 

8. Bake 8 minutes at 425 degrees F. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes. After the first 8-10 minutes, my top crust is almost always done, so I wrap tin foil around the crust edges so that the inside can continue to cook without the outside burning.

9. About 5 min before the pie is done, I like to take it out and sprinkle the top with a  little more white sugar, this gives it that glistening look that people usually get from brushing the crust with egg whites. Then pop it back in to finish off.

10. Allow the pie to cool for a while, maybe 25 min, as this helps it firm up and look prettier when sliced.

11. Heat your caramel sauce back up, as it probably got pretty darn thick when it cooled down, and drizzle over the top of the crust. You can alternatively drizzle the individual slices. If you can be very careful, you can add one more tiny pinch of salt on top, but don't go overboard! Sorry my only pic is without caramel sauce! It got eaten to fast to take more pictures!!

I'm sure you could make this gluten free without the flour, and it would come out just as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

You had me at salted caramel sauce... drool.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 01-14-2014, 04:02 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I wanna go visit Gianna! :P That looks like a really good recipe, and that pie is beautiful! smiley.gif Thanks for posting it.

#4 Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 AM

Sounds yummy!
#5 Old 02-04-2017, 12:26 PM
VeggieNewbie08

Gianna, this looks amazing! Is it possible to use a healthier substitute for full fat coconut milk? Are there healthier vegan milk options?
#6 Old 03-05-2017, 12:18 AM
Food Blogger / Youtuber

Sounds marvelous. Thanks for sharing.<3

Vegan Food Blogger / Youtuber / Recipe Developer / Photographer / Videographer

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtuber channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page:
#7 Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 AM

Sound tasty! I'll try on your way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page