Butter Tarts ...apparently a Canadian thing? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

A friend of mine requested "raisin pie" for her birthday and I had no idea what it was! Then I did some research and it's really butter tarts! But apparently it's a Canadian thing?!? I'm Canadian and only had my first butter tart a couple years ago.

ANYWAY I made some with Earth Balance instead of butter and they are FREAKING FANTASTIC. Here's the recipe if you want it:http://www.marystestkitchen.com/2012/06/vegan-butter-tarts/

Please let me know what you think or what other kind of pie I should try making.

buttertartcloseup.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

That looks delicious! I'm Canadian and I remember being very surprised they don't have things like butter tarts and nanaimo bars in the US. Apparently all dressed chips is a Canadian thing too? Insanity tongue3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Werewolf Girl!

Oh those poor deprived Americans! No nanaimo bars?! And all dressed chips are my favourite kind of chips!!! lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 PM

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU SPEAK OF!!!  Ha ha.  I actually ordered from a website that sells Candian fare because of my sister being obsessed with a certain kind of cereal they discontinued here in the U.S.   Perhaps I will have to try these things you speak of.  I tried Australia's Tim Tams because of Hugh Jackman saying they were amazing and I now I see they are in many stores so maybe if you recommend them enough these things will catch on here.  Are they worth ordering?  Or just cult favorites?

#5 Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 PM

or Canadian rather

#6 Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Depends on which things you're thinking of, VeganWOWer. butter Tarts you have to get them fresh. Don't order them online. What an excuse to visit Canada! lol Nanaimo Bars...sure, they ship well. All Dressed chips? You have to try em! DE freaking LICIOUS

#7 Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Butter tarts are amazing, I haven't had them since I lived with my parents.

Also apparently there's no ketchup chips in the US.  Old dutch ketchup are vegan! grin.gif Everyone must try them.

#8 Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Butter tarts are amazing, I haven't had them since I lived with my parents.

Also apparently there's no ketchup chips in the US.  Old dutch ketchup are vegan! grin.gif  Everyone must try them.

I love ketchup chips, they need to spread to the rest of the world so they too can experience the joy drool.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#9 Old 06-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder what flavour chips Americans might have that Canadians dont....

Love ketchup chips too. They used to be my favourite as a kid ^.^

#10 Old 06-24-2012, 05:26 PM

When I went to University in Canada for a year, I learned of several unique food phenomena that don't exist in the states. The first is selling milk in bags, instead of plastic jugs. This seemed odd to me at first, but from a reduced-packaging standpoint it makes a lot of sense. I reckon it would take a while to catch on over here though. The other is cream soda, which actually has different colors and flavors all over the world. The cream soda I grew up with tastes like vanilla, and is a golden brown color. The cream soda I discovered in Canada is pink, and more reminiscent of cotton candy.

#11 Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Hehehe milk in bags. I'm from BC and we don't have milk in bags. I think it is an Ontario/eastern Canada thing. And I too have always been confused about our cream soda. It's pink so I expect a fruit taste, but it's called cream soda so I then expect a creamy vanilla type of taste. I was a very confused child.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page