Absurdly Easy Chocolate Cake - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

#1 Old 10-13-2004, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Absurdly Easy Chocolate Cake by Boutell.Com

Category: Desserts - Cakes

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

3 cups flour (680 grams)

2 cups sugar (450 grams)

6 tablespoons cocoa (100 grams)

2 teaspoons baking soda (10 cc's = 10 ml)

1 teaspoon salt (5 cc's = 5 ml)

3/4 cup vegetable oil (200 cc's)

2 tablespoon vinegar (30 cc's)

2 teaspoon vanilla (10 cc's)

2 cup cold water (480 cc's)

Instructions:

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients. Stir until smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes two layers of a two-layer 9-inch or 8-inch round cake, or one small sheet cake. When cool, frost it.

Additional comments:

Copyright 2000 by M. L. Grant.

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.
Conspiracy likes this.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2005, 05:15 PM

I liked this cake, but I added two more teaspoons onf cocoa.I used PETA's wicked vegan fudge recipe as icing, I thought it was reaaly good.
#3 Old 03-19-2005, 03:36 PM

what does the vingar do in this recipe? what whould happen if i lefted it out??

#4 Old 03-19-2005, 08:55 PM

I wondered that also, however I still use it. I don't know wthat the vinegar's function is in this cake, but this cake has been the most moist cahe I have ever made. The reason why I use more cocoa than the recipe calls for is because I was still able to smell the vinegar and that concerned me, and because I am a choc-o-holic! LOL Seriously though, I tasted no vinegar flavor.
#5 Old 03-19-2005, 09:05 PM

Nonono.

Must.resist.urge.to.bake.cake.or.will.be.sick.
#6 Old 03-19-2005, 10:33 PM

This is the chocolate cake recipe my parents used when we were in Africa - but we called it "Wacky Cake". I love that it's naturally vegan with no need for egg replacer or anything like that. In Africa, we used it because we could only drive 4 hours to the next town to shop for things like eggs and milk once a month, so generally we didn't have them.

I love how moist this cake is, and stays even days later.
#7 Old 03-20-2005, 12:46 AM

The vinegar in this recipe is absolutely essential and cannot be left out. It reacts with the baking soda to provide leavening for the cake. You will be able to smell the vinegar when you mix up the batter but the cake won't taste like it after it's done.

colorful: My family also called this Wacky Cake. My mom used to make it and pack it in our lunches when I was a kid.
#8 Old 03-20-2005, 06:10 AM
Rie

Anyone know if this would work as cupcakes?
#9 Old 03-20-2005, 11:18 AM

Yep...we used basically this same recipe at work to make cupcakes with the kiddos.

Mmmmm, chocolate.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 03-20-2005, 11:43 AM

I tried this recipe as cupcakes this morning, and it worked fine. It would have worked better had I not overcooked them, though. If you do cupcakes, keep your eye on them after about 20 minutes.
#11 Old 03-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Rie

Cool, thanks guys! I wonder if anyone's ever used whole wheat pastry flour?
#12 Old 03-20-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post

Cool, thanks guys! I wonder if anyone's ever used whole wheat pastry flour?

For mine, I used half whole wheat pastry flour, and half all purpose. I usually do that for all my baking
#13 Old 03-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Rie

Quote:
Originally Posted by missleigh View Post

For mine, I used half whole wheat pastry flour, and half all purpose. I usually do that for all my baking

Awesome! Thanks!
#14 Old 05-06-2005, 12:42 PM

Hey this cake sounds great. Any good recipes for icing? Thanks
#15 Old 05-06-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanAndOmar View Post

Hey this cake sounds great. Any good recipes for icing? Thanks

I've found it's so moist it doesn't need icing. A light sprinkling of powdered sugar on top looks pretty.
#16 Old 05-06-2005, 02:39 PM

Hey, I actually have all the ingredients for this. How very... interesting.
#17 Old 05-07-2005, 04:57 AM

Yea I made this cake about a week ago easy to get ingredients, very tasty cake, but it didn't seem to cook evenly, I guess if I cook it for longer at a lower heat that would fix it?

Great cake, easy to make, and very yum.
#18 Old 05-14-2005, 12:33 AM

has anyone made this with non-wheat flour? i was thinking maybe chickpea or sorghum.
#19 Old 07-01-2005, 05:58 AM

Satyagraha- I just finished baking one last night and I found the inside a little uncooked as well. I should have taken the advice from the previous posters, as it's wise to add much more chocolate. Without a doubt, some of my animals enjoyed it
#20 Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 PM

I made it and it turned out perfect several times. I did find that it had to be cooked a little longer than it says... poke it with a toothpick before you take it out of the oven... like muffins. if the toothpick somes out with batter still on it, then it needs to bake some more. if it's dry, your cake is done!
#21 Old 07-02-2005, 09:27 AM

I tried it again this morning and it was a success! Very moist and delicious!

I added about 10 tablespoons of cocoa (it mentions 6, which certainly doesn't reach 100 grams) and substituted Splenda instead of sugar. I'm wondering though, how much calories a decent slice can have. I'll just do a general search for cakes online and get a rough estimate.

Kind regards,

Josef
#22 Old 07-02-2005, 06:05 PM

I made this today. It was excellent!! Since I only wanted a small cake, I cut the recipe in half. Frosted it a chocolate homemade frosting. It was one of the best cakes ever!
#23 Old 07-02-2005, 07:25 PM

I know it as Wacky cake too. The recipe I have is a little more complicated, where you have to put the vinegar, baking soda and oil into wells in the dry ingredients and pour water over the whole thing. Glad to know you don't really need to fuss with that.

It is one of those recipes you will almost always have the ingredients for and it is quick and easy for drop-in company. It is also great still warm out of the oven topped with soy/dairy icecream.
#24 Old 07-03-2005, 07:09 PM

Mine were shaped like brownies. I cut them into triangles and placed one peanut on top of each to make them look a little more sophisticated to the drop-in guests that Cinnamon toast mentioned about

I was thinking of adding bananas and a little bit of coconut to the recipe(chocolate banana coconut cake), but I'm confident it will create chaos. I've just started baking cakes now, so I'm eager to try simple and new things.

Kind regards,

Josef
#25 Old 07-16-2005, 08:31 PM

I keep receiving compliments after compliments about this cake. Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Josef
#26 Old 07-22-2005, 08:37 PM

This looks similar to an eggless/milkless/butterless chocolate cake recipe I have. Because I wasn't sure if it was truly vegan, I'd be hesitant to lable it that at church dinners.

I'm defeinately going to try this one. I think I may look for the PETA frosting recipe, as I was thinking about that earlier, when I thought about making my cake.

I guess the vinegar works better to miosterize the cake, as I've gotten compliments on the moistness of my cake.

Yum. Too bad it's after 10:30 or I would bake it now.
#27 Old 07-23-2005, 03:57 PM

I have this in the oven as I type. I just compared it to another recipe I have and got from another board and the ingredients, while listed in a different order, is identical. For baking my other recipe reccomends a 9x13 pan for 350 for 45 minutes. I put this one in two round pans. I'll look in about 17 minutes (I put it in at quarter til), to see how it's doing. Yum. It smells good. Oops. I think I only put in 1 cup of water.

In the past, I was hesitant to label this as vegan when I took it to church dinners. Now I know.
#28 Old 07-23-2005, 05:41 PM

It didn't taste as good, I thought. I dunno. I should have dumped more cocoa in, though. I took the other pan next door to my neighbors (after trying one) as a thank you for getting our mail last week and the week before when my husband and I were gone.

I'll definately make it again.
#29 Old 07-24-2005, 04:11 AM

Could you throw in vegan white chocolate chips?
#30 Old 07-24-2005, 04:56 AM

This is a really stupid question, but what kind of vinegar are we talking about, and what brand should be used?

*this space not for sale*

Tags
vegan-cake , Amys-Orange-Cake , Amys-Chocolate-Cake , Amys-Gluten-Free-Pound-Cake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page