Tofu Scramble - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl

#1 Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 AM

Tofu Scramble

Hi everyone!

I am surprised by this, but I just searched and couldn't find a post on Tofu Scrambles.

What is your absolutely FAVORITE tofu scramble recipe? I've tried a few, but I want to hear about more. I want to find the ultimate tofu scramble!

Ready? set? Go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

http://minimalistbaker.com/southwest-tofu-scramble/

I have not tried it yet, but I like the idea of this one because turmeric is optional.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 08-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have any particular way of tofu scramble, but here are some ways I like it--

I begin with chopped onion, mushroom, pepper sauteing in some olive oil or my homemade buttah. About 1/2 way to soft I add broken up firm to extra firm tofu, turning up the heat. I don't press, just squeeze out excess water. I add about 1/2 water with about a teaspoon of liquid smoke and some maple syrup or brown sugar. This deglazes and browns everything nicely. If needed I'll add a bit more

Or just scramble up the tofu, again with the liquid smoke, sugar marinade, maybe some garlic or onion powder. Final deglazing I add spinach, turn off heat, and cover

I also like black salt for a real egg taste. I'll use veggies, sautee in buttah, and sprinkle on serving with nooch and black salt

#4 Old 08-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

This one, oldie but a goodie!
😁
http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/scrambled-tofu/
#5 Old 08-31-2016, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

http://eatwithinyourmeans.com/simple...sted-potatoes/

I usually scramble chickpeas, veggies and potatoes, but once in a great while I've done tofu instead, and I really like scrambles with potatoes added.

I haven't tried it yet, but I also like the idea of simple scrambled tofu in a vegan english muffin for breakfast, sort of like an egg mcmuffin vegan style. I could even see adding Daiya shreds or a nutritional yeast or nut cheese to this.
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 11-10-2016, 03:55 PM

Yum!
#7 Old 11-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

This one looks really good...
Naturebound likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 11-13-2016, 05:20 PM
Formerly Sick-Now Healthy

This is our favorite and there's a short 5-minute cooking demo included. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakfast-Scramble-8.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	15506  

EatPlant-Based.com
#9 Old 11-13-2016, 05:54 PM
honeyandcardamom

1/2 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped fine (cut up the extra and store in airtight container covered in water for up to 3 days)
3 green onions, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 package tofu (pressed to get rid of excess liquid)
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp dry mustard (you can use regular old prepared mustard in a pinch)

Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and the diced sweet potato, saute until slightly golden brown. Add 3-4 tbsp water to the pan, and let simmer, uncovered, until the water has evaporated and the sweet potatoes are tender. Add the onions and garlic to the pan, saute 1 minute. Crumble in the tofu, and add the paprika, nutritional yeast, dry mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Add a little oil if needed. Saute 3-4 minutes until the tofu is heated through. Enjoy!

I also love the tofu scramble in the Oh She Glows cookbook. I'm very biased though, as I LOVE her cookbook and blog, and actually blogged about my experience cooking her entire cookbook. A little obsessed? Mmmmmm, yeah :P You can check it out at honeyandcardamom.com if you like!
#10 Old 11-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Plant Powered

My favourite method is super simple and really closely emulates a scrambled egg (only, obviously better LOL). Prior to becoming vegan, I often ate simple scrambled eggs and toast for brekkie. While I like adding other things occasionally, I find my palate to prefer simple flavours and textures in the morning.

I like to use medium-firm tofu, only lightly pressed as I like a silky texture to my scramble. I use about half a block for two portions, and shave thin slices off it.

I make ahead a seasoning mix which contains kala namak (black salt), turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and nutritional yeast. I then mix a bit of this with a couple tablespoons plant milk, melt some vegan butter in a pan and then add the seasoning mix. It thickens up a bit, and then I add the slices of tofu, and push them around in the pan until the tofu is fully coated and there's little to no liquid left.

It's delicious with some buttered toast, and I confess, I eat this most days for breakfast when I'm working from home because it's so good ^_^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page