• 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By bearplate
  • 1 Post By kalekamguy
  • 1 Post By veganlovlie
  • 2 Post By Veggietorials

#1 Old 11-28-2015, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

tempeh sausage-easy

I've been playing with this for a while, because I miss the taste, and really all the store bought stuff I liked has had eggs/dairy- like Morningstar. Or funky texture like Gimme Lean

I believe I've found the right combination here, although since I rarely do anything the same way twice--who knows?

You'll need a food processor
1 - 8oz package of tempeh (Trader Joes is cheapest)
3/4 cup walnuts
Combine and pulse till broken down a bit
1/2 cup oats
1 teaspoon sage
1 teas thyme
1/2 teas rosemary
1/2 teas black or red pepper
Add and pulse to just combine
1/2 cup water
2 teas liquid smoke
2 Tablespoons maple or agave syrup
1 T oil (optional)
Add and pulse till all together

Play with spices as you like. I'd add garlic or/and onion powder if I had them
Now you can wrap in a log and refrigerate and slice, or form patties and either bake at 375 (or 350) for like 10 minutes each side, or sautee in oil till browned each side.
These brown up nicely and can then be crumbled to use in recipes

I quess many would say steam the tempeh first - but I just rinse. Any comments on that would be appreciated!
Mojo, Spudulika, David3 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by silva; 11-28-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Made a double batch this morning. Froze half in a log wrapped in waxed paper.
Worth bumping!
#3 Old 04-21-2016, 07:17 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

This looks good, and at first glance, gluten free. My hubby is a sausage FANATIC and was utterly DEVASTATED when he found out he couldn't have gluten any more. I'll have to try these out on him and see what happens. Thanks silva!

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 04-22-2016, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Glad I left it that way! I've been adding a couple tablespoons of wheat gluten to it and steaming in just a little water in the pan. I think some water added before turning the over helps with or without the gluten.

These are great crumbled with hash browns
#5 Old 04-24-2016, 03:09 AM

Sounds awesome! Thanks for posting the recipe. :-) I'll definitely need to give this a try soon
#6 Old 04-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Give peas a chance

I tried this today and liked it! I split the batch and made half strictly according to the directions, and added garlic salt and crushed fennel seeds to the other half. I love the smell of fennel seeds. To me it's a classic sausage smell.

The recipe doesn't have any added salt. Is that intentional? Soy sauce is one of the major ingredients in Gimme Lean, but I think they overdo it. They make theirs way too salty.

I also liked how your patties stuck together, but I can see why you are experimenting with vital wheat gluten. That might bind everything even better and give it a chewier texture.

I'll definitely be making this again. Please post if you update the recipe.

Good work Silva!
Spudulika and ModVegan like this.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#7 Old 05-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Just made these again. I should left out the oil, I never remember it, and they're fine that way
I never make anything the same, I browse recipes and pick and choose what to put in, comparing ingredients for proportion
Today I used up a bag of walnuts so it was more like a rounded cup. Really used more spices- teaspoon each of rosemary, dried sage and thyme, garlic and onion powders, crushed red pepper (pizza places sure do give you a lot of packets!) and 2 teaspoons liquid hickory smoke
I rarely add salt when I'm cooking- it's like oil, I just don't think about it. I usually leave out the syrup too, but I do like a bit of maple after they're cooked!

I find you can really change up the texture by how you cook them. These I left a bit soft inside, but if left on longer, or baked, will firm up.
I made 5 patties and there was some left I'm gonna use for a 'dirty rice', with onions and peppers. I guess that's dirty rice?
Symondezyn likes this.
#8 Old 06-01-2016, 07:22 AM

Can't wait to give these a try soon! I LOVE tempeh. :-)
#9 Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

I've been cooking this up in a cast iron, breaking apart into pieces along with onion and peppers. When cooked, and veggies softened, I'll turn heat back to high and add a little water, like 1/4 cup. I then add cooked rice. Super good

I really always leave out the oil, but do sautee them in about a tablespoon or 2. You could make these totally fat free and just steam or bake
Do use seasoning liberally!

I really love this recipe. You can make ahead and shape into a log for easy slicing later

And hash with potatoes, or just a big burger
Spudulika and Symondezyn like this.
#10 Old 06-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Plant Powered

I'm getting hungry!! Gonna put this on the to-make list immediately! ^_^ Thanks for the recipe!!
#11 Old 07-16-2016, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

I come here for the basic recipe, changing it up each time, but this morning I particularly like the changes, so I'm adding them-

I ground a teaspoon of fennel seed and 1 teasp red pepper flakes in my coffee grinder used for spices, (I dislike biting into the seeds)
1 teasp each rosemary, sage, thyme, onion powder, and added to--
In food processor-
1 - 8oz package of tempeh (Trader Joes is cheapest)
3/4 cup walnuts
Combine and pulse till broken down a bit and add

3/4 cup oats
Add and pulse to just combine
3 Tablesoons wheat gluten
3/4 cup water
2 teas liquid smoke
2 Tablespoons brown sugar (or syrup or leave out, but I like the touch of sweet)
1 T oil (optional)

If making gluten free leave water at 1/2 and use gluten free oats and leave out gluten.

I use a cast iron and add 1/2 cup water to hot pan just prior to adding patties, lift as they cook, and drizzle more water as needed and just before flipping and removing. I cover pan and cook about 5 min each side

I don't add salt because I like to use black salt at serving

Again, this is really good when you break it up, and can used with sauces and rice dishes, and as ground meat sub.
I haven't tried spicing it with Italian type spices but will do that next. I'd like to try a ground Italian sausage for spaghetti, lasagna, subs
LedBoots likes this.
#12 Old 10-21-2016, 09:12 PM

Sounds great. I need to try this.
silva likes this.
#13 Old 11-10-2016, 03:54 PM

Yum, sounds great!
silva likes this.
#14 Old 03-05-2017, 12:23 AM
Food Blogger / Youtuber

This looks gorgeous. Thank you for the recipe
silva likes this.

Vegan Food Blogger / Youtuber / Recipe Developer / Photographer / Videographer

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtuber channel:

Facebook Page:
#15 Old 05-12-2017, 09:17 AM

This is by far the best vegan sausage recipe I've tried!
silva and Spudulika like this.
#16 Old 07-27-2017, 01:43 PM

I bet this sausage would be great in a vegan jambalaya dish!

“He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page