Do You Cook Your Oatmeal? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

#1 Old 07-02-2015, 07:59 AM
plant-based advocate

Do You Cook Your Oatmeal?

I was never crazy about oatmeal until until I started eating it raw. Technically rolled oats are not completely raw because they are steamed during the rolling process. Anyway, I just love "raw" oats with plant milk and a mix of fruit, nuts and/or seeds for breakfast.

Is it just me?

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always eaten rolled oats cold, without cooking them.

I also love steel cut oats, and those are cooked, of course.
#3 Old 07-02-2015, 08:28 AM
jmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I've always eaten rolled oats cold, without cooking them.

I also love steel cut oats, and those are cooked, of course.
Just dicovered how very different (and great!) steel cut is ... awesome texture

As for rolled and cold, normally when backpacking with plenty of nuts and dried fruit. Quick and good.

#4 Old 07-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb View Post
Just dicovered how very different (and great!) steel cut is ... awesome texture
Yes!
#5 Old 07-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

My son eats oats raw. He says to make sure you drink extra fluids with them.
#6 Old 07-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I've eaten them both ways and enjoy them either way depending on my mood.

I also love raw soaked oat groats or buckwheat groats blended with fresh berries and a little water for a truly raw porridge.
Veggie Primer and bearplate like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 07-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

If you eat whole oats without any prep they don't get digested well...at least not with me. They also take forever to cook but they're really good when they are.

Rolled oats? Yup I can eat those without prep all day.

Steel cut are very good for oatmeal. I don't like things to be too mushy and they offer a good balance between texture and being able to eat them within a reasonable amount of time :P

Regardless oats in all forms are pretty good.
Veggie Primer likes this.
#8 Old 07-03-2015, 11:28 AM
plant-based advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
My son eats oats raw. He says to make sure you drink extra fluids with them.
I always add lots of rice milk and eat them like cold cereal...
LedBoots likes this.

Margaret @
#9 Old 07-03-2015, 11:30 AM
plant-based advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post

Steel cut are very good for oatmeal. I don't like things to be too mushy and they offer a good balance between texture and being able to eat them within a reasonable amount of time :P

Regardless oats in all forms are pretty good.
I agree! But I'm usually too lazy to take the time to cook steel cut oats. ha ha

I've done them in the slow cooker and that's petty good...

Margaret @
#10 Old 07-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

I do like mine cooked, and I also like steel cut.
I take some rolled oats with fruit to work sometimes to have with the soy milk I keep there, but definitly not my favorite.
I'd much rather have fruit and chia seeds soaking all morning!
#11 Old 07-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Banned

1) 80g of Oats with 500ml of cold water.
2) Put on second lowest hob setting.
3) Stir gently and only occasionally until bubbling.
4) Stir frequently thus not allowing it to stick to the bottom of the pan while cooking off excess water.
5) When a spoon can scoop the porridge, be raised aloft, turned to it's side and no porridge drips off for several seconds - it's ready.
6) Sprinkle small amount of salt on top when in the bowl for taste, reapply if need be, don't stir the salt throughout the meal as it defeat the purpose of having added the salt.

Alternatively

1) Pour into bowl.
2) Add soy/almond-etc. milk of choice.
#12 Old 07-03-2015, 07:26 PM

Sometimes we cook'm......sometimes we don't
#13 Old 07-04-2015, 10:09 AM

Sometimes I cook it, sometimes I soak oats overnight in almond milk and eat them chilled the next morning. You can add fresh fruit and chia seeds too. Got that recipe for overnight oatmeal from Oh She Glows cookbook and have modified it a million ways.
#14 Old 07-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread has me wanting to try soaking oats overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#15 Old 07-05-2015, 09:22 AM
plant-based advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I do like mine cooked, and I also like steel cut.
I take some rolled oats with fruit to work sometimes to have with the soy milk I keep there, but definitly not my favorite.
I'd much rather have fruit and chia seeds soaking all morning!
I like to add chia seeds to my rolled oats!
karenlovessnow likes this.

Margaret @
#16 Old 07-05-2015, 09:25 AM
plant-based advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbanana View Post
Sometimes I cook it, sometimes I soak oats overnight in almond milk and eat them chilled the next morning. You can add fresh fruit and chia seeds too. Got that recipe for overnight oatmeal from Oh She Glows cookbook and have modified it a million ways.
Soaking overnight is definitely a great option if you like mushier oats and don't want to spend the time cooking them. I actually prefer the chewier texture when I eat them relatively shortly after adding some rice milk...

Margaret @
#17 Old 09-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Steel cut, I cook a big batch in my rice cooker with apple and cinnamon and walnuts when I can afford nuts, so I have multiple breakfasts or snack during the week. Rolled oat I rarely cook, I do the overnight thing, soaked with almond milk and soy yogurt, chia, flax, nuts and berries on top with a tad of maple syrup. When I wake up my oatmeal is ready waiting for me in it's jar.
LedBoots likes this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#18 Old 09-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Oryzatarian

I mostly take oats as an after-running snack so I cook them for more rapid digestion (if glycogen stores are replaced fast enough after exercise the store size increases, or at least doesnt dwindle). They can also be used as a thickener for chilli and stew if I accidentally add too much water.
I have enjoyed eating 'raw' rolled oats as a snack tho, and its easy to transport.
I've also had them as a sour-fermented beverage like kvass or the corn based gvnohenv (pronounced guh-no-hey-nuh). I did not like them that way and gave the rest to my dog who then gave me a shocked look, went wild slurping it up, and ultimately rolled in the residual odor from what he spilled on the ground I suppose I invented a canine sports drink.
LedBoots and Veggie Primer like this.
#19 Old 09-20-2015, 03:09 PM
plant-based advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
Steel cut, I cook a big batch in my rice cooker with apple and cinnamon and walnuts when I can afford nuts, so I have multiple breakfasts or snack during the week. Rolled oat I rarely cook, I do the overnight thing, soaked with almond milk and soy yogurt, chia, flax, nuts and berries on top with a tad of maple syrup. When I wake up my oatmeal is ready waiting for me in it's jar.
I've taken to letting mine soak while I pack my daughter's school lunch in the morning, but I never bother to soak them overnight. I kinda like them chewy!

Your steel cut oats sound yummy! I'm going to need to give that a try!

Margaret @
#20 Old 09-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Oats are my favorite grain, if I had to pick one. I used to cook them, but then started eating quick oats uncooked with whatever fruit I had on hand. I partly did this because quick oats are too mushy for my taste cooked, and partly because they're a healthy, fast breakfast on a summer day when I don't feel like cooking anyway, or don't want to take the time.

As I understand it, quick oats are not raw (as Veggie Primer already mentioned), but the brand I use is whole-grain. For some reason I started having trouble digesting slow oats, even when they were cooked, unless I added them to my bread dough.
LedBoots likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 09-21-2015 at 04:00 PM.
#21 Old 09-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I like the quick oats, too, Tom. I put some juice or almond milk in there, and a bit of whatever fruit, nuts, or pnut butter is around and let them soak. I start it when I get up and it's ready in a flash.
Tom likes this.
#22 Old 09-21-2015, 05:45 PM

I just put soya milk in with dry oat, and some Canderel, and salt....,maybe some nut butter.
Tom likes this.

#23 Old 10-23-2015, 07:23 AM
Beginner

Cooked for me, unless I'm blending them into a smoothie. I like old fashioned rolled oats. I think I may be the only person on the planet that doesn't like steel cut oatmeal. It's something about the mouth feel I just don't care for.
#24 Old 10-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I like rolled oats either cooked in porridge, or raw in muesli and smoothies.

Rolled oats are also really nice raw in 'bircher' muesli, soaked overnight with soya yoghurt and fruit.
#25 Old 10-23-2015, 01:57 PM
Vegan

I really like steel-cut oats! I find that I usually have to eat my oats cooked for the best flavor and I usually have to add some natural toppings that you were talking about.

Have you tried to eat them with just water? Do you like them as much or does it have to be plant-based milk? Do you find that if you don't eat the oatmeal with nuts, seeds, dried fruit then it feels like you can't feel completely satisfied over it?
#26 Old 10-23-2015, 02:22 PM

I cook it with water. Then I have it with cold milk and rye bread. If I really wanna enjoy, I use pat of butter.
#27 Old 10-23-2015, 02:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSatin View Post
I cook it with water. Then I have it with cold milk and rye bread. If I really wanna enjoy, I use pat of butter.
If you like butter on them you might like something I used to do. I used to stir a Tbsp or two of parmesan cheese into my oatmeal. It was rich and savory and yummy.
#28 Old 10-23-2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Anyone use oats in soup?
I'm thinking some rolled oats would be good in corn and potato chowder
Naturebound and Lipps like this.
#29 Old 10-24-2015, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Anyone use oats in soup?
I'm thinking some rolled oats would be good in corn and potato chowder
That sounds really good!

I found this recipe that I am definitely trying:

http://www.sharmispassions.com/2012/...le-masala.html

I found a vegan Indian cookbook at the library a few weeks ago ("Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen") and there was a savory oat dish with peanuts, onion, and some other ingredients I don't remember offhand. I copied the recipe and plan to make that soon too.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#30 Old 10-24-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gingham View Post
If you like butter on them you might like something I used to do. I used to stir a Tbsp or two of parmesan cheese into my oatmeal. It was rich and savory and yummy.
I bet is, have to try it sometimes. I usually add a little bit of more salt.

Tags
breakfast , oatmeal , raw , recipe , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page