VeggieBoards banner

Do You Cook Your Oatmeal?

7K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  Hira Naqvi 
#1 ·
See less See more
#7 ·
If you eat whole oats without any prep they don't get digested well...at least not with me. They also take forever to cook but they're really good when they are.

Rolled oats? Yup I can eat those without prep all day.

Steel cut are very good for oatmeal. I don't like things to be too mushy and they offer a good balance between texture and being able to eat them within a reasonable amount of time :p

Regardless oats in all forms are pretty good.

#9 ·
Steel cut are very good for oatmeal. I don't like things to be too mushy and they offer a good balance between texture and being able to eat them within a reasonable amount of time :p

Regardless oats in all forms are pretty good.
I agree! But I'm usually too lazy to take the time to cook steel cut oats. ha ha

I've done them in the slow cooker and that's petty good...

#10 ·
I do like mine cooked, and I also like steel cut.
I take some rolled oats with fruit to work sometimes to have with the soy milk I keep there, but definitly not my favorite.
I'd much rather have fruit and chia seeds soaking all morning!

#11 ·

1) 80g of Oats with 500ml of cold water.
2) Put on second lowest hob setting.
3) Stir gently and only occasionally until bubbling.
4) Stir frequently thus not allowing it to stick to the bottom of the pan while cooking off excess water.
5) When a spoon can scoop the porridge, be raised aloft, turned to it's side and no porridge drips off for several seconds - it's ready.
6) Sprinkle small amount of salt on top when in the bowl for taste, reapply if need be, don't stir the salt throughout the meal as it defeat the purpose of having added the salt.

Alternatively

1) Pour into bowl.
2) Add soy/almond-etc. milk of choice.

#17 ·
Steel cut, I cook a big batch in my rice cooker with apple and cinnamon and walnuts when I can afford nuts, so I have multiple breakfasts or snack during the week. Rolled oat I rarely cook, I do the overnight thing, soaked with almond milk and soy yogurt, chia, flax, nuts and berries on top with a tad of maple syrup. When I wake up my oatmeal is ready waiting for me in it's jar.

Reactions: LedBoots
#18 ·
I mostly take oats as an after-running snack so I cook them for more rapid digestion (if glycogen stores are replaced fast enough after exercise the store size increases, or at least doesnt dwindle). They can also be used as a thickener for chilli and stew if I accidentally add too much water.
I have enjoyed eating 'raw' rolled oats as a snack tho, and its easy to transport.
I've also had them as a sour-fermented beverage like kvass or the corn based gvnohenv (pronounced guh-no-hey-nuh). I did not like them that way and gave the rest to my dog who then gave me a shocked look, went wild slurping it up, and ultimately rolled in the residual odor from what he spilled on the ground :laugh: I suppose I invented a canine sports drink.

#20 · (Edited)
Oats are my favorite grain, if I had to pick one. I used to cook them, but then started eating quick oats uncooked with whatever fruit I had on hand. I partly did this because quick oats are too mushy for my taste cooked, and partly because they're a healthy, fast breakfast on a summer day when I don't feel like cooking anyway, or don't want to take the time.

As I understand it, quick oats are not raw (as Veggie Primer already mentioned), but the brand I use is whole-grain. For some reason I started having trouble digesting slow oats, even when they were cooked, unless I added them to my bread dough.

Reactions: LedBoots
#25 ·
I really like steel-cut oats! I find that I usually have to eat my oats cooked for the best flavor and I usually have to add some natural toppings that you were talking about.

Have you tried to eat them with just water? Do you like them as much or does it have to be plant-based milk? Do you find that if you don't eat the oatmeal with nuts, seeds, dried fruit then it feels like you can't feel completely satisfied over it?

#29 ·
That sounds really good!

I found this recipe that I am definitely trying:

http://www.sharmispassions.com/2012/02/oats-savoury-porridge-vegetable-masala.html

I found a vegan Indian cookbook at the library a few weeks ago ("Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen") and there was a savory oat dish with peanuts, onion, and some other ingredients I don't remember offhand. I copied the recipe and plan to make that soon too.

#37 ·
No Cook!

Hey There,

I have been eating oats for a few weeks now. I combine (gluten free) steel cut oats, rolled oats, and some chia seeds and flax seeds. If you combine everything and throw your fruit in, add water, and just let it sit over night. Chia seeds are wonderful at soaking up a ton of water so be sure to add a little more water and mix it up before you go to bed!

#38 ·
I was never crazy about oatmeal until until I started eating it raw. Technically rolled oats are not completely raw because they are steamed during the rolling process. Anyway, I just love "raw" oats with plant milk and a mix of fruit, nuts and/or seeds for breakfast.

Is it just me? ;)
Actually, there is a raw version of oats. If you can find whole oat groats, they are the whole oat kernel and are raw. You can soak them overnight (at least 8 hours) and blend them with berries, banana, whatever else you desire. There is also a recipe for "oatgurt", which is raw oat groats soaked and then fermented over a period of 3 days until they take on a sourish yogurty yeasty taste. They become creamy sort of like yogurt. I tried this recipe once and it was surprisingly pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.