VeggieBoards banner

Egg Substitute

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Go Vegan 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a liquid egg substitute that I can use like I used to use liquid egg whites. I have only seen powders and I don’t really have the time to deal with that in the morning. I really miss my “scrambled eggs” with all the goodies, mushrooms, olives, spinach, etc.

#2 ·
Have you ever tried tofu scrambled "eggs" with mushrooms, olives, spinach etc? Tofu has a sort of smooth texture similar to eggs. You would just need to season it a little more since it is bland by itself. Soft silken tofu can be blended into almost a liquid and poured into a pan and scrambled sort of like over easy eggs. There is a product called the Vegg that is blended with tofu and people swear it tastes and looks like an egg. I didn't think so but it was similar and not bad.

#3 ·
Kala Namak! black salt. You can find in Indian groceries really cheap, or online. It tastes totally 'eggy'. My son who always liked eggs loves tofu scramble with it, mixed with mayo for chickpea salad, even sprinkled on toast with margarine.

Tofu scramble wouldn't be the quick sub like you'd have with liquid egg whites though.

I've never tried a chickpea flour omlette, even though I have besan (chickpea flour). I believe you could make this up in advance and just pour in a hot skillette. Naturebound has talked about these before:
http://holycowvegan.net/2011/03/eggless-vegetable-omelet-besan-chilla.html

#5 ·
The reason I mentioned tofu is because there is no powders or mixing involved which is what the OP was after. He/she wanted a version of scrambled egg as opposed to an egg substitute for say baking, or something that had to be mixed.

I LOVE the chickpea flour omelets though! To me it is quick and easy to mix a 1/2 cup of chickpea flour and 1/2 cup of water in a bowl while the skillet is getting warm and then pour the batter on there and chop a few veggies to spread on top. I add salsa once the batter starts to set on the stove, and then fold the pancake over in half. The whole process takes me ten or fifteen minutes tops. It is a weekday breakfast for me. The addition of the salsa, or any other sauce, gives it a wetness as otherwise it can get a little dry. I season it with black pepper and cumin (I actually add these to the dry mix before adding the water). Chickpea flour indeed has an eggy savory taste and is very high in protein (1/2 cup is about 8 grams of protein, about the same as an egg, and way more filling than one egg would be). However, I understand that chickpea flour can be hard to find too. I can only find it at my local Whole Foods Coop across town. Granted one package will last me a while because it takes a while to go through a lb of chickpea flour. In a smaller town without a healthfood store that carries it, might be tough to find. Tofu on the other hand is usually much easier to find locally.

I had also forgotten about just using stuff like chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) and/or potatoes cut/mashed and scrambled on the stove with spices and veggies for breakfast. The potatoes might take a bit longer than five or ten minutes to cook through though. Sweet potato hash browns seems to be the new rage now at restaurants. I haven't tried that one though.

#6 ·
Thank you, silva, naturebound and vegansprig for all the great suggestions. I will definitely try tofu scrambled for breakfast and "flax egg" for baking. Naturebound, I live in an area with both Whole Foods and Erewhon, a local only smaller and better version of Whole Foods. Will have to try chickpea flour, a half of cup with 8 grams of protein, great, will mix it at night and then use it in the morning to save time.

My youngest daughter is autistic and like most kids in her situation, she loves simple carbs, and doesn't need the cholesterol of eggs, will try the chickpea flour will her also.

Thanks

#8 ·
Vegg is the only fake egg product I know of...It is a kind of fake egg yolk that you can use when cooking :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.