The Vegan Breakfast Ideas Thread - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

#1 Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey all,

Breakfast is something I have always struggled with! Now that I am a vegan I struggle even more because obviously I can't have eggs, milk, yoghourt, honey etc. I'm also not a big fan of eating too much wheat and bread so toast usually just doesn't appeal.

Does anybody have any ideas for great and quick vegan breakfasts (I don't want to have to spend ages cooking them!) so that I can try and get into a more healthy breakfast routine?

Here is one thing I have come up with that was delicious: Peach, Date and Walnut Bircher Muesli. But I'm looking for more great ideas, as I don't think I will be very inspired by eating the same thing every morning!

What do you guys generally have for a vegan breakfast?
Werewolf Girl and ker1608 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Fruit or green smoothies, oatmeal, cereal with almond (or soy, etc) milk, leftovers from last night's dinner, homemade muffins (oatmeal/spelt/banana/oat bran is my fave combo! And they can be made ahead, frozen and reheated in the morning), soy yogurt and granola parfait, a big bowl of fruit and some almonds, tofu scramble
#3 Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 AM

I also sometimes use this resource: http://www.vegansoapbox.com/101-vegan-breakfasts/
Werewolf Girl and ker1608 like this.

#4 Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 AM

I like to eat fruit and granola or vegan bread with hummus.
Werewolf Girl and elephant_ like this.
#5 Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Impeach the psychopath

Grits, ya'll! With vegan butter and maple syrple.
Thalassa4 and troi like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#6 Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM

I plan on trying this recipe this weekend.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=12230.0
Werewolf Girl likes this.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#7 Old 10-11-2012, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

What are grits?

#8 Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Impeach the psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by QiTian View Post

What are grits?

Grits is a hot cereal made from corn. It's basically the small nub found at the very tip of the corn kernel, which is where all the good stuff is. Don't believe those who try to tell you grits is just ground up corn. It isn't. It's more like "concentrated" corn. Very delicious. Very nourishing. It's a traditional Southern dish, derived from native America. Grits is also found in Manchuria, where it's called gezi. Grits is sometimes served with warm milk and sugar. I like it with vegan butter and maple syrup.

Thalassa4 likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#9 Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Yum, grits. They are great sweet, too, with maple syrup. Or with daiya cheddar shreds. smiley.gif
yqudaha9.jpg
TerriNC and Thalassa4 like this.
#10 Old 10-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

^Finally I know what grits are!

I usually go down the smoothie and toast/toasted things route for breakfast but if that not for you, how about soup? I've had thick vegetable soups for breakfast before and found they keep me full and warm for the morning ahead. It makes a change from porridge or cereal with hot rice milk, and packs a few more veggies into your day.

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#11 Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah I see! I don't think there is anywhere I can get grits down under :) They sound nice though!

I do love soup for breakfast, and I often have it if there are leftovers from the night before. It's a nice idea to just make some and keep it in the fridge for breakfast.

I've been doing a lot more breakfast idea hunting since I started this thread. I've been doing a lot of breakfast muffins, just making up a batch and they grabbing one to go for the next couple of days, it's working pretty well. Here are some of my recipes if anyone is interested

Orange, Almond and Choc chip, Blueberry Oat Bran Muffins, Quadruple Hazelnut and Date Breakfast Muffins. They're fun to experiment with :)

Also, I found a great German Pancake recipe, for the days when I have a bit more time in the mornings. They were really great!

I've also been doing a lot of banana/strawberry smoothies which are yummy, although not so good for colder weather (like this morning!), and bircher muesli is always a staple (like cherry and almond bircher muesli - yum!)

#12 Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 AM

I like banana smoothies!

my favourite so far though is 1 banana, 1 generous tablespoon of peanut butter, almond milk, and protein powder. sometimes i add a couple drops of agave nectar to sweeten. yummy!! oh and i also love to add 1/2 an avocado to this. makes it so smooth and awesome!

#13 Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 PM

Whole wheat toast,fruit,almond milk sometimes.Like the soups for breakfast too.I do this really simple soup just 2 cups vegetable broth,any veggies you like and boil until veggies are done.Top with some soy sauce or Braggs and serve with whole wheat toast.You could also add some onion powder to the soup.Plus, I like miso soup as well.

#14 Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM

yes so true .i'm also searching any cheap meal because my budget has gotten out of hand .
i will provide one of easy and very very healthy recipe .
Probably never heard before and I always brought in the breakfast because it gives me the necessary energy to work throughout the day.

ingredients:

1- Three-quarters of a kilogram blanched beans and dry which is not fresh

2- Chopped onion

3- Half a head of garlic, peeled

4- Salt 

5- Package of green coriander, chopped

6- A quarter of a teaspoon of cumin powder

7- Olive oil

method :

- Purified and wash beans. Is placed in a pot on a strong fire are inundated with water.Add coriander, onion, garlic and leave to boil then reduce the fire. Raise whenever foam appeared on the surface of the mixture. Continues cooking until the beans cooked with the addition of water as needed.

- Strain the mixture into a colander and add the cumin and salt

- Progress in the dishwasher and pour olive oil over it.

#15 Old 06-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Vegan since February 2011

Google "chickpea flour omelete" for various ways to make it.  It is very quick to make and filling.  I add lots of veggies folded into mine, and sometimes prepared salsa or nutritional yeast sauce in it.  It is like a savory pancake and has an eggy taste. 

Sometimes I just have a handful of almonds and a mango or something.  Or saute tempeh, tamari, and leafy greens like kale or chard with some spices like garlic, cumin, chili powder etc. and lime juice. 

Or I might have crockpot steal cut oats or millet with chopped apple, cinammon, maybe some almond milk.  All you have to do is throw the ingredients in the crockpot, turn it on low, go to bed for seven or eight hours, and it is all ready for you.  And you can make enough to last several days.  One cup grain to four cups liquid will yield four cups cooked millet or steel cut oats (try oat groats for a different texture also). 

Raw buckwheat groats make a nice crunchy natural granola cereal with things like sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, fresh berries, cinammon, a little nut butter or applesauce, whatever fancies you added in.   

Werewolf Girl and Thalassa4 like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 11-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

Google "chickpea flour omelete" for various ways to make it.  It is very quick to make and filling.  I add lots of veggies folded into mine, and sometimes prepared salsa or nutritional yeast sauce in it.  It is like a savory pancake and has an eggy taste.

Sometimes I just have a handful of almonds and a mango or something.  Or saute tempeh, tamari, and leafy greens like kale or chard with some spices like garlic, cumin, chili powder etc. and lime juice.

Or I might have crockpot steal cut oats or millet with chopped apple, cinammon, maybe some almond milk.  All you have to do is throw the ingredients in the crockpot, turn it on low, go to bed for seven or eight hours, and it is all ready for you.  And you can make enough to last several days.  One cup grain to four cups liquid will yield four cups cooked millet or steel cut oats (try oat groats for a different texture also).

Raw buckwheat groats make a nice crunchy natural granola cereal with things like sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, fresh berries, cinammon, a little nut butter or applesauce, whatever fancies you added in. 

Oh, Naturebound, if no one else ever tells you this, I will. You are a beautiful, wonderful human being. Thank you for the chickpea flour omelette idea.

Naturebound and Thalassa4 like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#17 Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 AM
Vegan since February 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Oh, Naturebound, if no one else ever tells you this, I will. You are a beautiful, wonderful human being. Thank you for the chickpea flour omelette idea.

Thank you so much for the compliment! I really needed to hear that today.

TerriNC likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#18 Old 11-17-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

Thank you so much for the compliment! I really needed to hear that today.

Agreed, your posts have helped me so much. :yes:

I usually just have instant oatmeal or cereal.. It's hard being a gluten free vegan.

#19 Old 11-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi QiTian,  I usually eat miso soup in the morning and I think it is pretty easy to make vegan. Some miso soups sold in the United states even already come pre-packaged vegan. For example I think Annie Chung's make a vegan miso soup. They also make a vegan Udon soup too. I'm not sure if you want soup for breakfast, but I like it for breakfast. Another food you could try is Idli and Sambar. Idli is a breakfast rice cake in India and sambar is like a spicy vegetable stew. You are supposed to dip the idli in the sambar.

These are the recipes, I think they are vegan:

http://www.veganricha.com/2011/04/multi-grain-idli-steamed-lentils-and.html

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/02/red-lentil-sambar-from-vegan-fire-and.html

I know these are kind of weird suggestions but I hope it helped a little.

#20 Old 11-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, your suggestions are great. Just the kind of thing I'm interested in, stuff that is different from the normal western breakfast of cereal/muesli/toast. I love soup for breakfast and I make miso soup for my lunch often, I will have to try it for breakfast. That Indian one sounds interesting too :)

Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#21 Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 AM

Hi.

Is that the name of it (tofu scramble)?

#22 Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrean 44 View Post

Hi.

Is that the name of it (tofu scramble)?

I didn't see that mentioned, but scrambled tofu is a weekend favorite! I sautee the veggies (onion, pepper and mushroom if I'm lucky) and add broken up firm tofu. Add a marinade of teaspoon liquid smoke, Braggs aminos, a bit of syrup and about 1/4 cup water. Let simmer till absorbed and then golden. Some tumeric and black pepper too.

Best for me on weekday mornings is a fruit and greens smoothie, with flax or chia or even some oatmeal.

Best biscuits I ever made had a 1/4 cup of silken tofu mixed in. I thing the first recipe I tried used egg so I subbed tofu. Made without since, but with the tofu they were very moist. I never make biscuits anymore though.

Fruity chia pudding! Cut up pineapple, banana, orange segments and shredded coconut. Add a tablespoon chia seeds and almond (or whatever) milk. Sweeten if the milk is plain. That was a good experiment! Gets puddingy when set.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#23 Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 PM

Anyone else do parfaits with cultured coconut milk instead of yogurt? Maybe that's another option. I love me some fruit and a good granola, and although I'm not vegan, I've never been friends with yogurt. I much prefer coconut milk. So Delicious carries a few good vegan "yogurts" from almond or coconut milk. I've used just straight up organic canned coconut milk though.

#24 Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

One thing I've been wanting to try for awhile is breakfast pizza:

http://www.thatwasvegan.com/2013/01/21/breakfast-pizza/

It may not be the healthiest option but man oh man... It's full of protein at least. tongue3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#25 Old 01-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast pizza? Yum! That looks amazing.

#26 Old 01-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Also, this chickpea flour omlelet with asparagus... drool.gif

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/04/chickpea-flour-omelets-with-asparagus.html

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#27 Old 01-20-2014, 12:43 PM

I make a "two flowers, two roots" vegan breakfast bowl. I slice a potato, boil it then drain the water, then brown it with a little oil, put potato in bowl. In same hot pan I put in a hand full of chopped broccoli, a hand full  of chopped mushroom and same amount of onion, turn off heat and brown that in a pan with a lid on to stream. Put in the bowl and top with salsa. Another option is to make flat bread and have it as a breakfast burrito. Flat bread is started the prior evening, 2/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup warm water and a pinch of yeast. combine and form a ball, put in a bowl put bowl in a pot of hot water and cover. In morning roll it out and cook in pan first.Makes two flat breads.

#28 Old 02-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Buzzfeed just posted this great list: 29 Delicious Vegan Breakfasts

There are a variety of options but my favourite is probably the stacked strawberry shortcake pancakes:

drool.gif
Naturebound and Thalassa4 like this.

#29 Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 AM

I have a quick question, and this thread seems like the best place to put it...

One of my favorite things for breakfast is potato pancakes, but the recipe I used to use has egg in it for a binder. I've gotten myself an egg substitution chart, but there doesn't seem to be anything under the "savory dishes as binders/coating" that would work tastewise. I also try to avoid wheat where possible. Is there something I could use?

#30 Old 02-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

http://www.theppk.com/2007/12/happy-hannukah-eat-some-latkes-for-me/

That's the recipe for potato pancakes that I use.
Werewolf Girl and Thalassa4 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page