#1 Old 08-31-2008, 11:01 PM

Beer Bread

Category: Breads

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet

Preparation Time: 15 minutes

Serves: 12

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

1 12oz bottle of vegan beer (see comments below)

2 teaspoons of dry yeast

3 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions:

Let the beer sit out of the fridge until room temperature. Pour the bottle into a mixing bowl and add the yeast on top. Stir and let sit covered for 10 minutes.

Add the flour, salt, and 1 tablespoon of oil to the bowl. Mix well with your hands until you have a semi-sticky ball. Shape and place on a pan greased with 1/2 tablespoon of oil. Brush the remaining oil on top of the dough and cut a line across the top.

Throw into the cold oven and set to 375. Check after 25 minutes to see if it is done; two ways to check are to stick a toothpick all the way through and it should come out clean, or tap on the top and bottom (both sides should sound hollow).

Additional comments:

You can find a list of vegan beers here: http://www.veganconnection.com/veganbeer.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2008, 04:12 AM

Ummmm, yum? haha
#3 Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 PM

Beer bread is yummy. You can also make it without the additional yeast...the beer works just fine. I've made it before b/c I was too lazy to go to the store for yeast.

#4 Old 10-11-2008, 11:28 PM

Nice recipe. For a gluten free version of this......look to replace the wheat flour with the ingredients listed in this recipe: Gluten Free Bread Recipe. Grains can be added it desired also for the multigrain beer loaf if prefered.
#5 Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM

i've made several pans of beer bread since i learned how. you can add different spices and seasonings too! my most successful was when i added ground ginger, ground rosemary, and sage.
#6 Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

I had a go at this last night since it's such an easy recipe. Of course, I didn't read it properly and dumped all the oil in the dough instead of saving some to brush on the top. anyway, came out pretty good! I used bottled Guinness (since it's horrible to drink and was sitting in the cupboard for months) and a packet of yeast. I only let the dough rise once and then cut it - it deflated a little as you can see.

Can't wait to try it with my vegan cheese!

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#7 Old 11-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

I've made this without yeast with both a flavored beer, and a regular one. The flavored one was more like a hard cider I believe, and that was good! The one with regular lager was not.
I have an Angry Orchard ginger apple I may try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page