7Likes
  • 4 Post By Aliakai
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Aliakai
  • 1 Post By ocrob37

#1 Old 05-05-2016, 08:42 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Gluten Free Vegan Naan!

Last night I made an amazing vegan curry and decided I needed naan to go with it. Given that my hubby is gluten free it had to be gluten free, and out popped this recipe. I hope my fellow gluten-free foodies (and vegan foodies for that matter!) enjoy it. It turned out really well, and there isn't really an aftertaste at all. Since it's done under the broiler, it's relatively easy too.
David3, Thalassa4, Jenn2 and 1 others like this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds good!
You know what I'd like to see? A container of things like xantham gum, tapioca starch, lecithin, even agar-whatever people who are gluten free, or just want to use for general foods without buying bags of individual items, like the four in one spice containers?
I now have a big bag of tapioca starch I can't see ever finishing! It was cheap, but I'd like to try those other things.

That sounds like a cool get together for vegan or gluten free meet ups! People could plan on buying different things like that and come with containers to mix up and share!
#3 Old 05-07-2016, 01:09 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Sounds good!
You know what I'd like to see? A container of things like xantham gum, tapioca starch, lecithin, even agar-whatever people who are gluten free, or just want to use for general foods without buying bags of individual items, like the four in one spice containers?
I now have a big bag of tapioca starch I can't see ever finishing! It was cheap, but I'd like to try those other things.

That sounds like a cool get together for vegan or gluten free meet ups! People could plan on buying different things like that and come with containers to mix up and share!
The only problem with something like that is that technically tapioca starch is a flour that's used in varying quantities in recipes. Xanthan gum too - quick breads use less than yeast breads, for example, so there wouldn't be a good all-in-one ratio for it. That's one of the reason that I don't like premade gluten free flour blends that include xanthan gum, it usually has too much or too little for most baking applications. It's better to have a little more control.

It would be nice for some who don't do as much baking to be able to purchase smaller containers of it though. I get mine in bulk (except the xanthan gum) so I can get just what I need, or stock up if I have a bit of extra cash and want to do a lot of baking. I've been on a baking binge lately, building up my GF skills to impress my hubby and make him feel more comfortable with his disease. It really had him down for a while, and I'm really trying to show him life isn't over now that he can't have wheat bread.
ellaj likes this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#4 Old 05-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
I've been on a baking binge lately, building up my GF skills to impress my hubby and make him feel more comfortable with his disease. It really had him down for a while, and I'm really trying to show him life isn't over now that he can't have wheat bread.
Your hubby is very fortunate to have you, Aliakai.

I have been doing quite a bit of research about being GF and being vegan and there is a lot be positive about. As you say, life isn't over, one just needs to have all of the facts. Being an awesome cook and baker doesn't hurt either.
#5 Old 05-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I love Naan and it seems most Indian restaurants use milk. I do like the fact that Indian cuisine has a lot of vegetarian options. I recently started making a chickpea dish with curry. It is very good but a little rich. The recipe calls for coriander and I use curry instead. I may need to actually stick to the recipe to see if I like it. Coriander seems to taste too much like citrus and does not give the amazing taste I get from curry. Sorry to digress. You Naan sounds awesome and one day I might try it. I just started cooking and have a lot to learn. I am definitely enjoying it and love the left overs.
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page