1 package dry yeast (or fresh yeast)
3 tablespoons oil and oil for frying
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon soy flour
530g ap-flour and flour to work
2-3 teaspoons salt

After baking:
Clove of garlic to rub, black caraway and or cumin (all optional)

Dissolve the yeast and the sugar in soy rice drink. Whisk all other ingredients except the flour in a bowl. After the yeast has become active (bubbles), add this mixture with the flour the bowl an knead to a smooth homogeneous dough (knead 3-5 min minutes).
Now let the dough rest for 1-2 hours.

Knead the dough briefly on a floured surface. Split the dough into 10 balls and roll out these balls to thin (about 0.5 cm) flat cakes and dust them each with flour. Preheat a nonstick skillet with some oil over medium heat. Now put the first cake in the pan. After about 2-3 minutes (when the cake becomes bubbly) its surface is sprinkled with a little oil, and turned over. The naan-cake is baked from both sides until it has become golden brown.

Now remove the bread from the pan and put it on a plate. Optionally rub it witha a halfed cove of garlic (or sprinkle some garlic granules on it) and sprinkle it with black carraway or cumin. Bake the next cake and lay it on the first one, sprinkle it.... and so on.

The bread can be kept warm in the oven until ready to serve. It is super-fluffy, crisp on the outside and very tasty. Especially to curries, or simply just as a snack with dips.

Attachment 15393

Greetz

HolgerMaulwurf
LL
Siv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Beautiful and thanks for the recipie

the nans in the indians restaurants are made with cow milk?

#3 Old 07-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saretta View Post

Beautiful and thanks for the recipie

the nans in the indians restaurants are made with cow milk?

often times yes it has dairy, often yogurt in my experience. You can still find Indian restaurants with vegan naan and commercial sources of vegan naan. there are a few brands in the stores around me

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/

#4 Old 07-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

often times yes it has dairy, often yogurt in my experience. You can still find Indian restaurants with vegan naan and commercial sources of vegan naan. there are a few brands in the stores around me

yes.gif Yeah, you just have to ask. I've found a lot of restaurants in my city are good with having vegan options.

Also, that recipe looks so good! I'm totally craving curry and a bunch of fresh made naan now drool.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 07-01-2012, 06:46 PM

I was asking because in all the indians restaurants I have been in france, they aren't made with dairy products. but whole wheat flour; with water, yeast salt. or they have the same name but it isn't at all the same reciepe;

#6 Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM

This looks great!  I'm going to try it out the next time I make curry.

#7 Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

Thanks for this recipie.

#8 Old 08-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Great recipe that has prompted me to give it a go but I don't think we have any vegan yoghurt type stuff available in Trinidad. So I mixed it up a little:

3/4 cup soy milk

2 teaspoons of sugar

1 packet year

Stick the above in a cup and leave to bubble for 10 minutes.

2 cups bread flour

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon of salt

1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

2 tablespoons of hummus

Stick the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix. Then add the oil, hummus and the yeast/soy milk mix and combine it all together. It will combine to make a dough which you can knead for a while. The more you knead, the less sticky it'll get. Leave for a couple of hours to rise.

Pinch off a nub (about 1/5 or 1/6 of the dough) and massage into a ball. Flatten out the ball - you can use a rolling pin to get it somewhere around 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

Preheat a pan to medium/high and when hot, spritz a little oil and bung the dough in. Cover and allow to cook - the bread will puff as it cooks. Try not to lift the lid - it allows the bread to cook from the bottom and steam on the top. After a couple of minutes, flip the bread over and let it cook again for another minute or so.

HolgerMaulwurf likes this.
#9 Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Looks so good! !! smiley.gif I miss naan and haven't had any in years; I always think of it as having butter or ghee.
HolgerMaulwurf likes this.
#10 Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Oooohhhh...Now, all I need is it to be gluten free and...grin.gifdrool.gifsneaky.gif

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#11 Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

Great recipe that has prompted me to give it a go but I don't think we have any vegan yoghurt type stuff available in Trinidad. So I mixed it up a little:

3/4 cup soy milk

2 teaspoons of sugar

1 packet yeast

Stick the above in a cup and leave to bubble for 10 minutes.

2 cups bread flour

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon of salt

1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

2 tablespoons of hummus

Just wanted to add that I made this again this weekend but with one tablespoon of oil and instead of the hummus, I used two tablespoons of tahini.

The dough didn't come together quite as well as it did the first time - it remained quite sticky and was very messy to knead. I probably could have remedied this with more flour but I decided not to and just kept at it. It never really came to a single dough ball until after the proofing step. This also meant that I had to use a bit of oil when rolling (I used a spritz from a can) but it was manageable and came together well enough.

The taste is spectacular! Much better that my previous batch. My kids liked it so much I had to make several for them.

#12 Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Another successful variation that the kids loved:

Replace the oil and hummus with half a large ripe avocado (or a whole regular sized one) and get your hands well into the mixing.

We had friends over and all their kids asked for their Mummys to get the recipe!

#13 Old 01-05-2015, 04:24 AM

yeah its very tasty naan on the low price in india which the every person get it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page