Recipe Forum FAQ - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Administrator

How do I submit a recipe?

New recipes will be added to the CMS (content management system) that you see when you go to veggieboards.com. All new recipes must be submitted with at least one photo taken by you.

To submit a recipe please send it to mike at emailmike dot org with the photo(s) as an attachment.

Copyright

Do not post recipes/photos unless:

...you created them.

...or you have permission to reproduce them.

...or you have rewritten the instructions in your own words.

Comment on Recipes

If you try a recipe please come back and post a comment and/or a picture!

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2008, 07:21 PM

I have now managed to submit it using that form but it isnt showing in the recipes thread

Does it have to be checked before going on there?
#3 Old 10-31-2008, 08:11 AM

I think Michael does indeed check the recipes and then posts them. He categorizes them too. They won't show up right away.

#4 Old 04-01-2009, 04:30 AM

I have a question, if we find a recipe online that we really like, can we post it here and just give the link to the site it's on or just don't post it??
#5 Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblthin View Post

I have a question, if we find a recipe online that we really like, can we post it here and just give the link to the site it's on or just don't post it??

ok, so looking at michaels copyright rules up there.... i think the best plan would be to either:

-ask the person who put the recipe on the other website if they're ok with you copying the text of their recipe to here, and adding a shout out to them, and a link to their site along with the recipe.

-write the recipe and its instructions up in your own words, so that you're making the recipe your own, and not just nicking their text. sort of like you were explaining to a friend how to do it, instead of giving them a photocopy of the page from your cookery book.
#6 Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 PM

Ok, a lot of recipes I find aren't vegetarian, I do a couple substitutions and I can rewrite the instructions so I'm guessing that will be ok.
#7 Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Administrator

From what I understand you can keep the ingredients list the same but you have to rewrite the instructions in your own words. Or you could just ask permission.

#8 Old 07-12-2009, 05:59 PM

I have a recipe that I made up, and would like to share, but I just make it by 'feel' and could probably just give approximations. Is that okay or do I need specific measurements?
#9 Old 07-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewwattsnew View Post

I have a recipe that I made up, and would like to share, but I just make it by 'feel' and could probably just give approximations. Is that okay or do I need specific measurements?

i think approximations can work fine for some people, but others might be a bit more lost. depends a fair bit on what it is really. with soup its a bit less vital to have say... the exact diameter of an onion, which has been cut into precisely 0.75cm dice specified, but with cookies, saying 'chuck a few handfuls of flour into bowl, add liquid till it looks like gloop'... thats not gonna be so great for most of us.

i'd say do your best and follow your instincts. saying 'about a teaspoon'... 'just a little bit less than a cup'... 'add liquid to make a batter the consistancy of melted icecream'... those kinda descriptions sound ok to me.
#10 Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a vegetarian cookbook that has some good recipes in it, and 5-6 using an ingredient that another member asked for recipes of. If I type it in by hand, is that all right, or is it copyright violation? I don't mind sharing recipes, but I do mind copyright violation!

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#11 Old 10-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I have a vegetarian cookbook that has some good recipes in it, and 5-6 using an ingredient that another member asked for recipes of. If I type it in by hand, is that all right, or is it copyright violation? I don't mind sharing recipes, but I do mind copyright violation!

You can certainly post them and perhaps write "based on a recipe from [name of cookbook]" to be courteous, but you should re-write the instructions in slightly different words to avoid copyright violations. It doesn't have to be radically different, just as long as it isn't an exact copy.
#12 Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, thanks, WG.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#13 Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm clicking where it says to click for submitting a new recipe, but it's coming up as an "Invalid Forum, please notify an administrator for this." Whom to speak to about this?

#14 Old 11-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

The administrator is Michael.

However because of the recent upgrade the recipes are now going to work differently and the existing ones need to be moved to the new system when it's all up and running, so it's possible Michael doesn't want new recipes being posted until that happens.
#15 Old 11-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, ok. Thanks, Earthling.

#16 Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Administrator

I'm going to remove that link now. It doesn't work with the current version of the software.

I'm still working on how we'll handle recipes with this version.

#17 Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Administrator

New recipes will be posted in the CMS and must include a photo.

If you have a new recipe and photo you would like to submit you can help me test out the system. Please pm me.

#18 Old 11-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Updated first post with current recipe submission instructions.

#19 Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 AM

*growl* That photo rule will mean that the 200+ vegan recipes in my collection will never be posted. I don't have time enough to muck around with taking photoes, transferring them to my computer and adding to an e-mail/uploading/whatever with my excruciatingly slow connection!
#20 Old 12-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Banned

That's a shame

But over all I think having photos will really improve the recipe section. I'd never buy a cookbook that didn't have pictures!
#21 Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, Thanks, Michael.

#22 Old 12-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Michael, I have a few more questions about this. Does the photo have to be uploaded to VB, or can you link to a picture on another site (i.e. flickr.com)?

What are the restrictions for the photo sizes, if any?

Will the recipies that are all ready here stay, photoless, or will they have to have pictures with them?

If we print out the recipe(s), will the photo be printed out, too, or can you opt out of having the photo printed with it?

Thanks for all your help, Michael.

#23 Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 PM

Do we have to have pictures attached?
#24 Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately the photo would be printed with the recipe. An easy alternative would be to highlight the text, paste it into notepad, and then print it.

For now the recipes that are in the forum will remain there. They may be moved at some point and if they are they will remain as is (no photo).

My reason for requiring a photo (and yes, it is required) is that it looks pretty. Seriously, in addition to giving people an idea of what the finished product will look like it's colorful and makes the site look more professional. And honestly, if I'm going to make something I'd feel better knowing that the person who submitted the recipe has A) made it already themselves and B) thought it was worth taking 2 minutes to snap a picture.

If you want to send a photo you can attach it and I'll upload it to the VB server or if you want to send me a link to Flickr, etc. I can copy it and upload it myself.

All of this may change at some point in the future but that's how it is as of now.

#25 Old 12-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, Thanks, Michael.

#26 Old 12-12-2009, 04:36 AM

Okays. Yep, thanks! Next question, can I take step by step photos? (Ex. 'Step 1, dice tomatoes. Step 2, puree carrots')??
#27 Old 12-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_advocate View Post

Okays. Yep, thanks! Next question, can I take step by step photos? (Ex. 'Step 1, dice tomatoes. Step 2, puree carrots')??

Yes, that would be fantastic!

#28 Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Michael, do you have any plans for adding a low fat/ low cal recipe section to VB?
#29 Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Are we really only submitting recipes with photos now? I can't get to the "post recipe" thread? But there's been recipes posted recently - WITHOUT photos so I'm not sure if I'm missing something?
#30 Old 01-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Michael, do you have any plans for adding a low fat/ low cal recipe section to VB?

Unfortunately recipes can only be added to one category so no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Are we really only submitting recipes with photos now? I can't get to the "post recipe" thread? But there's been recipes posted recently - WITHOUT photos so I'm not sure if I'm missing something?

The form is broken so I’m not sure how anyone would be submitting new recipes.

Once an update is available that works with this software the recipes section will go back to the way it was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page