hige in protien - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 01-11-2016, 07:38 PM

hige in protien

I need recipes for one that are as high in protein I can get...but also somewhat low in carbs. thank you so much for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Veggie Recycler

Are you trying to do high protein low carb as a diet, and if so why?

Are you vegan or vegetarian, because it's probably much more difficult to do a low carb diet as vegan, it's really not advisable, but you can make sure you eat whole grains like brown rice, oatmeal and quinoa and cut out white starches and bread, I guess. Beans and lentils have carbs though. Nothing like fruit or processed flour though.

If you eat eggs, well of course eggs are high protein, as are nuts, seeds and food products made from hemp or soy. You could fill up on vegetables from that point to keep sugars down then.
#3 Old 01-12-2016, 01:13 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Carbohydrates are our bodies' fuel. They are not the bad guys.

#4 Old 01-12-2016, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, carbs are essential. Can I ask why you're trying to cut them out?
#5 Old 01-12-2016, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

To the other posters, she mentioned in another thread that she had to have part of her colon removed, and had weight loss surgery so more than likely she can only handle very small meals at one time, and likely low fiber.

LadyV,

I did mention in the other thread about tofu pudding. Take a block of silken tofu (in those little aseptic packages) and add to a blender. Add a little cocoa powder, pinch of salt and sweetener, and if you can handle it, add a banana or another soft dense fruit like cantaloupe, or skip that step. in place of cocoa powder, you could also try lemon juice or a little peanut butter. Blend to get a creamy smooth pudding. You can get 24 grams of protein adding one block of silken tofu as a pudding and it doesn't feel like you have eaten a ton. Somtimes I use the refrigerated tofu and use 1/2 block of those (use the soft ones) and still get 16 grams of protein from it.

You could try a leafy wrap...such as a collard leaf, or chard leaf...and spread a bean dip, hummus, or nut butter on it and roll it up for a snack.

Tofu or cooked grains like brown rice or oats go well in a blended smoothie with a plant milk and some berries (most berries tend to be lower glycemic than other fruits...apples and melon are also lower glycemic).

pureed soups. I like split pea. Simmer a cup of split peas and chopped carrot and onion in a large pot with vegetable broth and water to cover everything. Add some lemon juice, ground black pepper, maybe some paprika and simmer it all for twenty minutes or so until everything is soft. Add it in batches to a blender and blend to get a creamy smooth thick soup (or add more plant milk or water to the blender for a thinner soup). Pureeing beans allows you to eat a more concentrated amount without getting full and a bowl of split pea soup is something like twelve to sixteen grams of protein.
no whey jose likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 01-12-2016, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, if you can find it, try acquiring some chickpea flour (besan flour). Bob's Red Mill company makes it so look for those, and many Whole Foods or healthfood stores also carry it. It is a savory eggy tasting flour that can be used to make chickpea flour omelets. Simply measure 1/2 cup of chickpea flour into a bowl. Add some spices like cumin, black pepper, garlic powder etc. Then add 1/2 cup of cold water and stir to make a pancake batter. Heat a nonstick skillet or add just a touch of oil, and spread your batter in a circular motion in the skillet like a pancake. As it cooks and bubbles, you can add vegetables like leafy greens, salsa, tomatoes etc and then fold the pancake in half over them. It takes me about ten minutes tops to make this. 1/2 cup of chickpea flour has about 8-10 grams of protein, is lower carb, and if you add stuff like nutritional yeast flakes to the batter, and leafy greens, you add more protein.

Scrambled chickpeas, cubed sweet potato, and chopped bell pepper and celery all scrambled in a skillet with veggie broth and spices makes a nice meal too.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 01-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Vegan since 1991

HI LadyV,

Here is a post-bariatric surgery nutrition guide, from Highland Hospital Bariatric Surgery Center: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/Media...al_Plan_6M.pdf . This guide fully accommodates vegetarian diets.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page