Spaghetti with Vegetarian Meatballs Cooked in the Sauce? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 PM

Question Spaghetti with Vegetarian Meatballs Cooked in the Sauce?

The title says it all. I am looking for a simple recipe for spaghetti and meatballs.

I would prefer not to use any frozen, pre-made stuff, and I am going to avoid most TVP as they put things in there I don't want.

I want a replacement that is just as easy as what I have been using. That is I throw in a pound of hamburger, 1 egg, half a cup of Panko breadcrumbs, and a bunch of Italian seasoning. I cook the meatballs in the sauce. Everything is done, all together, in a hour or so, including prep time.

I want to throw out the egg and hamburger, replacing them with pure vegetarian substitutes, no eggs, no cheese. I also want to avoid soy products as much as possible, as my physical body is male, and soy wreaks havoc with males. Also my body is not good with seaweed. Irish seaweed, commonly called Carageenan, AKA red seaweed, hurts my body's stomach.

I mix everything up by hand, roll the balls, and put them in the sauce. I get the $6.00+ a jar of sauce, made organically with olive oil, whenever Safeway has a BOGO 50% off. Otherwise I just use the Safeway Select $2.00 a jar stuff.

I cook everything in a thick-bottomed, large, pan, 16 minutes, while the noodles boil. Two jars of sauce, about a dozen or more meatballs. I stir with a wood spoon. So whatever veggie replacement I find has to hold up to all that.

Do you have any recipes you can share with me that are compatible, in your experience, to making spaghetti in this way? If so please provide a link, or if its your own recipe, maybe you could post it here, or PM me, or something?

I appreciate your help! If I can find a working alternative, it'll make my transition to vegetarian much easier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBliss View Post
I also want to avoid soy products as much as possible, as my physical body is male, and soy wreaks havoc with males.
Soy is perfectly fine for men to eat, people have been eating soy, both men and women, for thousands of years.

For a meatball that is easy to make, you can just combine some legume (lentil, chickpea, etc), breadcrumbs and ground flax along with whatever spices you want to use (you can use the same ones you'd use in a beef based ball). For the ground flax its important to let it soak in some water (1/4 of water per 1 tablespoon of flax) for 10~15 minutes so it can develop a egg-like consistency.
#3 Old 05-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Here's a few good meatball recipes.
http://blog.rateyourburn.com/blog/po...atballs-1.aspx

#4 Old 05-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

I'm such a fan of Trader Joes meatless balls (?) and Nates that I don't really try.
Spaghetti to me is a meal when there's nothing fresh and I just take things off the shelf and from the freezer.
I do love a loaf, and this ones my favorite:
http://engine2diet.com/recipe/lynns-meatloaf/
Yes, it has tofu, but your arguements against it don't hold up. There are good reasons SOME people avoid it, but being male isn't one!

I got Rip Esselstyns My Beef with Meat and it has a great lentil ball recipe- but I don't find it online so I can't post it. No soy, but eggplant, lentils, Grape Nut cereal and veggies.

Have you ever tried tofu from chickpea flour (besan)?

Tags
meatball , spgahetti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page