Go to, easy recipes - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-17-2012, 02:33 PM

What is the one recipe you regularly go to when invited to a pot luck or barbeque where you know there will be no vegan food and you want to impress omni's with deliciousness?

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never done so, but I would think a really good vegan mac and cheese would be pretty impressive.
#3 Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 PM

The only vegan mac and cheese I've made is from veganomicon and while I find it delicious and make it at home, it doesn't see like something to win omni's over. It's obviously vegan and full of substitute ingredients, with the nutritional yeast and all. Not really cheesy. Do you have a good vegan recipe?

#4 Old 03-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Maybe ill try daiya cheese?

#5 Old 03-18-2012, 05:59 PM

Go to copycat recipes and make the Wendy's chili, but use ground seitan instead of hamburger. It is REALLY good. Several omnis have told me it's the best chili they've ever had. No one ever thinks it's vegetarian, let alone vegan, but it is.
#6 Old 03-18-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Go to copycat recipes and make the Wendy's chili, but use ground seitan instead of hamburger. It is REALLY good. Several omnis have told me it's the best chili they've ever had. No one ever thinks it's vegetarian, let alone vegan, but it is.

Maybe I'm too sleepy to deal at the moment, but I can't find a link to the vegan copycat Wendy's chili. Can u help me?

#7 Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

There are tons of recipes for texas caviar (bean salad this is eaten with chips) that pretty much anyone would find delicious and not "weird." I make a really good wild rice and asparagus salad with sesame oil and soy sauce dressing -- I'll post the recipe if that sounds interesting to you at all. Really, any kind of bean, grain, or pasta salad would be easy to make and not too suspicious to omnivores.

As much as I love vegan mac and cheese, I wouldn't serve it to a nonvegan crowd in general because it's never going to be quite the same as whatever their favorite mac and cheese is.

Vegan cookies always go over great as well. Chocolate chip, or whatever you like! Of course I wouldn't recommend bringing only dessert if there isn't going to be other vegan food, but desserts are a great way to win people over.

Oh, and some good general advice, never plan to bring something you're just making for the first time. That's a recipe for disaster. Always do a test run, at least. Ideally, you want to have made the dish several times before its omnivore debut.
#8 Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

#9 Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

The link is with a k, but it auto corrected me.
#10 Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 AM

Butter bean casserole, it's not mind blowingly good but it's quite nice and it's about the best I can do.
#11 Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Top Secret, not copycat! Here you go:

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/wend...li-recipe.html
#12 Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Give peas a chance

Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili from the cookbook Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. Spicy and a little sweet, and few different textures in a smoky kind of sauce. My all time fav chili.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#13 Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Some sort of couscous salad is always good.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#14 Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

1. I make a really good wild rice and asparagus salad with sesame oil and soy sauce dressing -- I'll post the recipe if that sounds interesting to you at all. Really, any kind of bean, grain, or pasta salad would be easy to make and not too suspicious to omnivores.

2. Oh, and some good general advice, never plan to bring something you're just making for the first time. That's a recipe for disaster. Always do a test run, at least. Ideally, you want to have made the dish several times before its omnivore debut.

1. I would love that recipe!!!
2. I made this mistake last night with a coleslaw recipe. Embarrassing. Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page