VeggieBoards banner

Go to, easy recipes

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jentlytread 
#1 ·
What is the one recipe you regularly go to when invited to a pot luck or barbeque where you know there will be no vegan food and you want to impress omni's with deliciousness?

#3 ·
The only vegan mac and cheese I've made is from veganomicon and while I find it delicious and make it at home, it doesn't see like something to win omni's over. It's obviously vegan and full of substitute ingredients, with the nutritional yeast and all. Not really cheesy. Do you have a good vegan recipe?

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Go to copycat recipes and make the Wendy's chili, but use ground seitan instead of hamburger. It is REALLY good. Several omnis have told me it's the best chili they've ever had. No one ever thinks it's vegetarian, let alone vegan, but it is.
Maybe I'm too sleepy to deal at the moment, but I can't find a link to the vegan copycat Wendy's chili. Can u help me?

#7 ·
There are tons of recipes for texas caviar (bean salad this is eaten with chips) that pretty much anyone would find delicious and not "weird." I make a really good wild rice and asparagus salad with sesame oil and soy sauce dressing -- I'll post the recipe if that sounds interesting to you at all. Really, any kind of bean, grain, or pasta salad would be easy to make and not too suspicious to omnivores.

As much as I love vegan mac and cheese, I wouldn't serve it to a nonvegan crowd in general because it's never going to be quite the same as whatever their favorite mac and cheese is.

Vegan cookies always go over great as well.
Chocolate chip, or whatever you like! Of course I wouldn't recommend bringing only dessert if there isn't going to be other vegan food, but desserts are a great way to win people over.

Oh, and some good general advice, never plan to bring something you're just making for the first time. That's a recipe for disaster. Always do a test run, at least. Ideally, you want to have made the dish several times before its omnivore debut.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Go to copycat recipes and make the Wendy's chili, but use ground seitan instead of hamburger. It is REALLY good. Several omnis have told me it's the best chili they've ever had. No one ever thinks it's vegetarian, let alone vegan, but it is.
Top Secret, not copycat! Here you go:

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/wend...li-recipe.html

#12 ·
Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili from the cookbook Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. Spicy and a little sweet, and few different textures in a smoky kind of sauce. My all time fav chili.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

1. I make a really good wild rice and asparagus salad with sesame oil and soy sauce dressing -- I'll post the recipe if that sounds interesting to you at all. Really, any kind of bean, grain, or pasta salad would be easy to make and not too suspicious to omnivores.

2. Oh, and some good general advice, never plan to bring something you're just making for the first time. That's a recipe for disaster. Always do a test run, at least. Ideally, you want to have made the dish several times before its omnivore debut.
1. I would love that recipe!!!
2. I made this mistake last night with a coleslaw recipe. Embarrassing. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.