Meals I can take to work? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 AM

I want to start getting into a vegetarian diet, and then possible vegan, and maybe even Raw some day...but let's start small, lol.

The reason for it is to be more healthy. So I really don't want to be eating high sodium foods (canned soups, raman, box dinners, etc).

I work 12 hour shifts at work, and most of the time have access to a fridge and microwave. I need 2 Good meals during this time, with probably about 2-3 good snacks.

Also I'm trying to put on weight, and muscle, so anything with a high calorie intake would be better for me.

Any good recipes that I can prepare before work or even the night before, and bring with me in a lunch box?

Obviously Salad is a easy one, but can get boring at times. I need something to spruce it up, as well as the right dressing.

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2012, 02:20 AM

Look around online or go to your local library and check out some vegan and raw food recipes. There's a wealth of information out there you just need to absorb some of it. It might seem overwhelming at first but it's not that bad. I am mostly a raw foodist and it's working great for me.

Check out my raw food review blog at www.rawfoodland.com!
#3 Old 01-21-2012, 03:50 AM
Veggie Regular

There are 5000 raw vegan recipes here http://goneraw.com/recipes

Also salad doesn't have to be boring. Most salads I eat aren't raw so I like pasta salad/ couscous salad/ quinoa salad/ brown rice salad etc with a mix of different vegetables, nuts, beans or lentils, sometimes fruits, and different dressings, including soy sauce and ginger or vinegar, olive oil, veg stock and mustard or hummus, or vegan mayo, or mint, or lemon, but you could easily take out the grains and just have more of the other ingredients.

Here are some vegan salad dressings- http://vegetarian.about.com/od/salad..._Dressings.htm

I often also take leftover home made soups, curries, stews, shepherds pie, lasagne etc to work with me and microwave them. Those are not raw of course but the fact they are home made means that you can control the sodium/ fat etc that goes into them.

#4 Old 01-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

yeah salad is good!
you can put hummus and falafel in it :]
or bring a falafel sandwhich nomnomnom.
pita chips & hummus?
#5 Old 01-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

Oh goodie you have a microwave and a fridge to work with!

I love making vegetable soup and taking the leftovers to work. You can spoon it over rice or pasta in a thermos, put it in the fridge when you get to work, and zap it for two minutes at lunchtime. You can do the same thing with bean chili, or any kind of pasta dish. Leftovers are key - cook a lot for dinner, and take half the next day for lunch.

How about a veggie wrap? Don't assemble it the night before because it will get soggy. Pack a big tortilla, a little tupperware container of hummus, some slices cukes and tomatoes and lettuce leaves, whatever veggies you like. Chill it in the fridge. It will take two minutes of your lunch hour to assemble it into a big, yummy wrap.

Do you have a freezer at work? Sometimes I get frozen vegetarian burritos and take one to work for a quick snack or meal.

I also like to bring a tupperware bowl of cereal or granola and a small single-serving size or rice or almond milk.

For snacks, I like to bring cut-up veggies and pretzels or pita chips with hummus or any kind of bean dip. I also keep a box of granola bars, a jar of peanut butter and some crackers in my desk, just in case. Peanut butter is GREAT if you're trying to go high-calorie and gain some weight. So is olive oil, so drizzle it over pasta and salad and cook with it often.

Now I'm all hungry
#6 Old 01-21-2012, 02:01 PM

If possible, cook up things in bulk, like beans, stews, chili and so forth. They freeze well plus can add these to rice, potatoes, or noodles for a quick hot meal and extra calories. I agree with Yellow Rose;peanut butter is a great thing to have around for snacking. Spread it on crackers, apple slices or banana.
I always make extra when preparing dinner and pack it for lunch the night before. Saves time for sure. Good luck!
#7 Old 01-22-2012, 03:54 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I do have access to a freezer. I'll look into those frozen foods.
#8 Old 01-26-2012, 04:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey - this blog is all vegan and has some great ideas - http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com/

Here are some of the ones that make a good amount and make great leftovers - most of them are also high in protein so will be good if you are trying to put on weight:
Baked Lentils with Sweet Potato and Cauliflower
Rocket Pesto Fettuccine (this makes great leftovers!!)
Mushroom and Bean Jambalaya (really filling and packed with protein!)
Dahl with Spinach and Celery leaves (even better the next day)
Lentil/Pumpkin/Zucchini Lasagne with Creamy Tomato Vodka Sauce (make a big lasagne so will feed you for a week!)
Sausage, Potato & Cavolo Nero Casserole
Croatian Posna Sarma (Cabbage Rolls filled with rice)
Spicy Rice with Pumpkin and Broccoli
Black Eyed Bean, Pumpkin and Fennel Curry
Four Types of Lentils Stew
Lentils with Artichoke and Mint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page