Protien Packed Wedsndays - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM

I have a problem. I live in a culture dominated by meat and potatoes. I live in a world going into ecomonic turmoil. Therefore, it's hard for a joe like me to find cheap food, and make it healthy veggie food. Every meal I eat isn't extremely fancy, it's normally a sandwich, or some stir fry. I want some more pazazz at the dinner table...thats why I came up with protien packed wednsdays. I want to find cheap recipes filled with protien on a hump day to help me get over the hill. So what is your favorite (cheapest) recipe chalk full of protein? Mine is black bean quesodillas or good ol' vegetarian chili. Bring on the comments! :OP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I try to keep my daily food at a ratio of 3/5 carbs, 1/5 fat, and 1/5 protein especially when I am training, to keep my performance up I try to have all of it spread evenly through out the days, and thereby throughout the week. You won't really feel the protein on Tuesday that you ate last Wednesday.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 AM

"You won't really feel the protein on Tuesday that you ate last Wednesday"- River

True dat. I once heard about vegetarian hero foods. the ones that are perfect for vegetarian needs like vitamins and protien. that is the essence of what i am looking for in this food journey

#4 Old 12-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Lentil chili, split pea soup, veggie burgers, red beans and rice, three bean stew, baked tofu sandwich...
#5 Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=ElaineV;3059136]Lentil chili, split pea soup, veggie burgers, red beans and rice, three bean stew, baked tofu sandwich..."

Hm Thanks ElaineV. I'll try some of that three bean stew
#6 Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 AM

Quinoa is my favorite grain, used like rice or couscous, and it is a complete protein. Totally yummy! I also keep s couple of containers of tofu in the freezer for baking. Thaw it out, drain it mostly dry, a quick marinade, bake in an oiled pan at 375 for about 20 minutes and u have tofu on hand for sandwiches or stirfries or pasta or rice or whatever!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato
#7 Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Jentlytread, what is your favorite recipe for marinades?
#8 Old 12-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Hmmm...sometimes I just marinate with a strong broth made with vegetable bouillon. My favorite put-it-together one is made with soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, minced fresh garlic, cracked black pepper, sea salt, and ground ginger. Great for portabella caps!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato
#9 Old 12-15-2011, 09:27 PM

thanks i'll try it for dinner tomorrow.
#10 Old 01-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, it doesn't get cheaper/more protein packed then dahl Here is one of my fave recipes: http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com...ry-leaves.html
Then there is one of my all time faves: Multigrain Minestrone with Chestnuts (Cheap because you can really make it with whatever grains and vegies you have in the house, except maybe the chestnuts - but they add extra protein!)
However - this is probably the most protein packed meal I've made - Four Types of Lentils with Broad Beans! Very cheap to make and so delicious!

Here are some more ideas:
Black Eyed Bean Curry
Two Bean Jambalaya (DELICIOUS!)
Lentils with Artichoke and Mint
White Bean Salad
Baked Lentils w/ Sweet Potato and Mushrooms
#11 Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 PM

You're awesome, QiTan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page