Any suggestions on making Vegan Jelly? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi,

I've been trying my hand at vegan jelly but having no success. I've got both agar powder and agar flakes which I've tried but I can't seem to get the quantities right. Does anyone have any tips on how much agar I should use per cup of cordial/juice? Also was wondering if the cordial/juice should be hot to mix the agar with because normally you make non-vegan jelly with boiling hot water?

Any help would be appreciated, I know you can buy packet vegan jelly online but I'd prefer to make my own. Vegan Jelly is my last hurdle to perfecting my vegan trifle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 AM

Jelly from the store is vegan though, can't you replicate that?
#3 Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom used to make jelly/jam often. From what I can remember, the jars and lids were boiled(sterilized) first. Then the fruit/sugar/pectin was boiled, poured into the hot jars, and the jars were placed in boiling water to seal the lids. I thought pectin was safe for vegans? Never having used agar in the jelly making process, I don't know what the procedure would be when using it for making jelly. Let's see what google has to say....

Edit: It would appear that the agar has to be soaked in the liquid/juice for 10-15 minutes, then brought to a boil. As far as amounts, this is a sample recipe I found at livestrong.com

3 tbsp. agar flakes
1 cup unsweetened fruit juice, any flavor
2 cups raspberries, currants, strawberries or cherries, sliced or slightly mashed
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Good luck!!

#4 Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi guys, ha silly me. I just realised that most people on here are from the states so when I say jelly I think I mean what you would call jello? As in made with gelatine. I don't mean jam, as in to have on toast
#5 Old 10-25-2011, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QiTian View Post

Hi guys, ha silly me. I just realised that most people on here are from the states so when I say jelly I think I mean what you would call jello? As in made with gelatine. I don't mean jam, as in to have on toast

Ok, that's probably why I had a hard time finding a recipe...I had to use the word jam instead of jelly, because all of the jelly recipes with agar agar were for jello!
#6 Old 10-25-2011, 04:36 AM

@QT, you can get veg gelatin, both flavored and plain at Holland and Barrett. I found it works easier than agar flakes. Agar powder hasn't worked for me at all to make something gelatin like, but it does thicken up soups, etc.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 12-04-2011, 04:23 PM

The agar powder I have says 3kg of liquid to the 25gram sachet, but you need to bring the liquid to a gentle boil with the agar and stir til fully dissolved. It then says it will set in about 45 mins without refrigeration.

I have never tried making jelly with it before, but I make a soy milk jelly thing ( similar to silken tofu, which I can't buy here ) I use it for dip bases.
#8 Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Misty - that is really helpful. Where do you buy your agar agar powder from? I haven't seen it in sachets and it sounds like it would be easier than measuring out quantities.
#9 Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Any asian grocery store should have them. It's a little white packet with blue and red writing, about $2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page