Potluck Food Ideas? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 PM

So, I'm going to a potluck in the near future. I will be the only vegetarian there. I would love some suggestions as to what to bring to wow the omnis.

I was thinking of bringing a main dish and maybe a vegan dessert as well, depending on how much time I have.

I was thinking it might be best to bring a veg*nized version of something that's fairly conventional, and something that isn't a salad. This way I figure it'll show them that we eat a lot of the same things, that veg*n food isn't "weird" or all that hard to make, and we don't eat just salad.

And I was thinking of possibly making some vegan cookies or brownies or cupcakes or something, so when people see how awesome they are I can be like "yeah, made with no animal products at all!"
What do you think?

So any suggestions? What does everyone else usually bring to a potluck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 PM

I'm going to one tomorrow at the farm sanctuary I'm bringing some desserts. Chocolate chip cookies and a bowl of fruit(Pineapple, honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon). Some people brought pastas last time, some home made rice tortillas, some store bought microwavable stuff , bread w/ vegan butter, sandwiches...
#3 Old 07-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Beginner

ooooooohhhh... Jonny love potluck...

Fried tofu spring rolls! load 'em up with bean spouts and cilantro and mint and peanuts! make a cool sauce for them.

Burritos! smothered in vegan green chili! I made these for a Mexican friends at work and they about lost their minds.

Vegan samosas are killer!

Make little vegan carrot cake square chuck full of nuts, carrot, spices, pineapple, coconut! Tofutti makes a really good cream cheese sub you could use to make frosting!

VEGAN FUDGE!!! (everyone likes fudge)

Butternut squash soup! yum yum yum

“The real satanist is not quite so easily recognized as such” - Anton Szandor LaVey

#4 Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is a good cupcake recipe (about half way down, post #5 by Alix, the creativeinspiration site. Just don't tell our own PhotoJess I recommended it). Or...you could follow Dave in MNPS's advice.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 AM

Vegan carrot cake would be amazing. It's the best thing ever.

As for a main dish, can't go wrong with pastas and casseroles, though I myself don't much care for them. If you'd be open to a side dish, how about guacamole and salsa, maybe with warm pita instead of chips? Mmmmhm.
#6 Old 07-09-2011, 10:10 AM

I think it'd be funny if you made something that even hardcore vegans would be like "eh, no thanks, i think I'll pass," like sprouted buckwheat groats ground up without any sweetener or italian ices made with dandelion leaves and broccoli rabe.
#7 Old 07-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Ankle Biter

Vegan potato salad, baked beans, a fancy bean salad or an amazing green salad full of yummy veggies and vegan dressing!

Vegan brownies, chocolate chip cookies, or jam bars would serve a lot of omnis!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 07-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Tried replying to this thread the other night but my Internet gave up on me.

These are fantastic baked or deep-fried. Best to make them right before you leave, though they are still delicious the next day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjH9lgvZRco

I made these for a potluck once, too, in smaller cubes instead of strips, and people were pleasantly surprised. "This is tofu?"

They're awesome as is, but you could try bringing along a dipping sauce or two for people to try out.

This could be made the day before:

http://veganpandamonium.blogspot.com...heesecake.html

So delicious.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#9 Old 07-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

I think it'd be funny if you made something that even hardcore vegans would be like "eh, no thanks, i think I'll pass," like sprouted buckwheat groats ground up without any sweetener or italian ices made with dandelion leaves and broccoli rabe.

Or the standard from early veg cookbooks: lentil loaf.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#10 Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Or the standard from early veg cookbooks: lentil loaf.

LOL my mum made that the other night, it was not bad served with roasted potatoes, green beans and gravy. She made it very spicy though.
#11 Old 07-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

So, what'd you take, or are going to take? Enquiering minds want to know.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#12 Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 PM

I still can't decide on the main dish, even with all the good suggestions. I did find a cookie recipe I want to use:

http://luxhippie.tumblr.com/post/527...atmeal-cookies

I was wavering on the idea of chili, but then I thought, we're going to be outdoors and it's flippin' hot lately...

Those tofu strips look interesting, though. And I've had samosas before, they're good. I also like the idea of guac and salsa. I am so incredibly indecisive.
#13 Old 07-21-2011, 12:33 AM

Always a hit for me; potato salad, chocolate chip cookies, or a cake.
#14 Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Aha, I think I'm going to get some tortilla chips or slices of pita bread and have some dips.

Salsa, guacamole and hummus.

I have some habaneros or jalapenos, so I'll make one salsa spicy (for spice lovers like me) and one mild. Since these are all things served cold, it should be good for our summer potluck.
#15 Old 07-21-2011, 02:44 PM

I know you said no salad, but this quinoa and bean salad is my standby for pot lucks. It's easy to make, hearty and tasty, even omnis gobble it up - and don't even realize it's vegan.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...an-Salad-12245
#16 Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 PM

Ooh, that looks good, Parsnip. If I don't use it for this potluck, I am definitely bookmarking it for later use.
#17 Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 PM

I like to bring chile lime corn on the cob, or Texas caviar with a big bag of Fritos Scoops. Either is always a huge hit and I'm always asked for the recipes. I like your dip ideas as well. Good luck! Let us know!
#18 Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 PM

I have a dish that I used to bring to potlucks and it's always very popular.

Ingredients:
- rice
- onions (diced)
- firm tofu cubes
- asparagus or broccoli (chopped)
- mushrooms (slices)
- corn or peas or both
- chili soy sauce
- sesame oil
- water

Instructions:
- cook the rice separately (I use a rice cooker)
- separately in a pan, add some water, then cook the tofu cubes (while cooking the tofu, add a generous portion of chili soy sauce and sesame oil)
- then add broccoli / asparagus, then mushrooms, corn/peas (basically put in the ingredients that would take the longest to cook first), and finally onions
- get the rice on a plate/bowl and add in the chili soy sauce/sesame oil mixture, then add in the rest of the ingredients from the pan and thoroughly mix them

You can use any ingredients you like...but the items above are what I generally use when I cook this dish.
#19 Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Regarding Dips - 2 of my faves:
Tomato, Olive and Red Wine
Sweet Potato and Sunflower Seed

Regarding Sweets to impress:
Vegan Chocolate Coconut and Raspberry slice (This is AMAZING)
Oreo and Orange Cupcakes
Mandarin and Goji Berry cake (which I think could easily be converted into cupcakes instead).
#20 Old 10-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QiTian View Post

Regarding Dips - 2 of my faves:
Tomato, Olive and Red Wine
Sweet Potato and Sunflower Seed

Regarding Sweets to impress:
Vegan Chocolate Coconut and Raspberry slice (This is AMAZING)
Oreo and Orange Cupcakes
Mandarin and Goji Berry cake (which I think could easily be converted into cupcakes instead).

oh, I am going to make the sweet tate and sunflower seed one for a work potluck! Thanks
#21 Old 10-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

What'd you take? You can't leave us hanging like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page