Help with veganising a recipe - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I've just come across this recipe, and I wondered if anyone has any suggestions on how best to veganise it.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/p...spaghetti-cake

As you can see, it contains lots of cream, eggs and cheese.

If I replace the eggs with silken tofu, will it hold together - or do I need to add another ingredient with the tofu? or use something else instead of the tofu - perhaps a mix of tofu and flax seeds in water?

I can replace the cheese with vegan cheese and nutritional yeast, and the cream with vegan cream.

Any suggestions welcome (and where is Mr Falafel when you need him - he would have known what to do!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I would probably start with a tofu quiche recipe and add the spaghetti, veggies, and spices to match the Jamie Oliver recipe.
#3 Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I would probably start with a tofu quiche recipe and add the spaghetti, veggies, and spices to match the Jamie Oliver recipe.

Yes, that was my initial idea - I just wondered whether anyone thought differently.

Thanks for your response - great minds think alike, as they say!

#4 Old 06-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey - did you ever try this? I'm curious how it turned out! Spaghetti and eggs used to be a favorite meal when we were short on veggies, so this kind of reminds me of it.
#5 Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm cooking it tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes - hopefully well!
#6 Old 06-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I could see miso in there to up the 'funky factor' the original recipe gets from the 'stinky cheese'.

Also would boost saltiness quite a bit too though.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#7 Old 06-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I could see miso in there to up the 'funky factor' the original recipe gets from the 'stinky cheese'.

Also would boost saltiness quite a bit too though.

Thanks, I never thought of that.

I cooked it the other day, using silken tofu and some soya milk, and nutritional yeast, garlic powder and mustard to replace the cheese. I also used some vegan pepperjack cheese.

the texture wasn't right, but that could have been because I cooked it for too long, and the tofu mixture dried up (I was wary of it being too runny). It also wasn't cheesey enough - so some miso next time might help.

Having said that, there was none left after dinner, so it couldn't have been too bad!
#8 Old 07-15-2011, 03:43 PM

I would sub the cream for coconut milk(might get a subtle coconut taste) or organic valley soy creamer, the cheese I would use daiya and the eggs I would sub silken tofu since i think it's just to bind the ingredients. google how much weight four large eggs are and then sub an equal part of the silken tofu, and it can't hurt to through in some nutritional yeast!
#9 Old 07-30-2011, 02:33 PM

The recipe looks quite yummy. Personally I think there are some recipes where everything that's great about them is due to the animal products. I wonder if this might be one of them. I usually don't even attempt to copy them into vegan form, but rather try and come up with something that has a similar satisfaction level, not worrying about getting the texture exactly the same. I started doing this after having screwed up what could have been a perfectly good and tasty dish just because I was so intent on getting the texture right that I added things that the recipe would have been tastier without.

I used to looooooove Stouffers Turkey Tetrazzini (frozen dinner) and tend to daydream about it now and then . If I ever tried to come up with a vegan stand-in for it, it would probably include some of Galaxy's Vegan Grated Topping (parmesan substitute) I think it's comes unbelievably close to the real thing. Link here: http://www.galaxyfoods.com/galaxy-pr...vegan-topping/

Something I've been wondering....and it's how I found this thread (searching for soy creamer)....is this:

Does anyone know if soy creamer could be used in place of cream in recipes such as tetrazzini....creamed soups...etc? I'm worried that it might separate once I cook it. I may have to try it and find out for myself but if anyone knows the answer to this, it might save me from ruining a recipe. I'm making a potatoe-leek soup at the moment and will probably skip the cream this time just to be on the safe side, but really curious if adding soy creamer would add that extra oomf or just be a waste of time/money.
#10 Old 07-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I made a potato leek soup awhile back and used Silk creamer...totally worked! Now I want potato leek soup!
#11 Old 07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

The issue with soy creamer is that it is sweetened. It might be ok for some recipes, but just something to keep in mind. I would be more inclined to use a homemade almond or cashew cream, or perhaps something like unsweetened mimicreme (although I haven't tried that one yet). Unsweetened soymilk might also do the trick.
#12 Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

@ RunnerVeggie. I should add that I used a vegetable stock as my base...did not use/need alot of the creamer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page