Seitan Recipe?? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM

I'm looking for a tried and true seitan recipe. I know there are a bunch on the interwebs, but I would hate to waste ingredients on making some without knowing for sure it is a good recipe. I've never eaten it before, but I try to stay away from soy based fake meats because of some past thyroid issues, so this seems like a good alternative.

I'm just looking for a basic 'chop it up and stick it in a rice dish, or bread it and fry it' type recipe. No special flavors or anything, just a basic recipe. I tried doing a search on here, but it doesn't lead you to an exact post, just giant threads with tons of pages. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM

so are you looking for how to make seitan or what to do with seitan (the packaged kind or pre-made)?

http://www.butikiteas.com
#3 Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 PM

if you are looking for a simple dish i like to take seitan and cook it with some shallots, cremini mushrooms and olive oil. then i add red wine (there is cooking red wine at wegmans that is alcohol free, vegan and cheap) and vegetable stock with a little cornstarch if i want it thicker. i simmer it for a few minutes then serve it with rice. the dish is super fast to make.

#4 Old 01-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzebed View Post

so are you looking for how to make seitan or what to do with seitan (the packaged kind or pre-made)?

I am looking for a recipe to actually make the seitan itself. I live in a rural area, and there aren't any stores that sell it packaged
#5 Old 01-20-2011, 04:32 PM

#6 Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzebed View Post

in that case, i recommend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3O8L...layer_embedded
the recipe: http://www.heavymetalvegancooking.com/recipes.html

Thank you so much! The guy in the video is pretty easy on the eyes, too. I think I'll give this a go tomorrow, thanks again!
#7 Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 PM

no problem

#8 Old 01-20-2011, 06:07 PM

I like this one:
Seitan and the Great Becoming

I decided boiling seitan was just wrong, so after a few tries I decided to make my own recipe for it (a composite of a few of others, actually, but tweaked to my liking... based mostly on a recipe from another website):

Ingredients:
1.5 cups vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp pepper (I use 2 tsp)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (you can use 1/8 tsp if you like it less spicy)
1/8 tsp allspice
2 tsp garlic powder

3/4 cups water
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 325°.

In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for a minute or two.. it doesn't need long.

Form into a log (6-8" long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.

Nutritional Info
The entire log has:
1134 calories
32g fat
63g carbs
158g protein

I got it from Post Punk Kitchen, but try as I might, I cannot find it on their website.
#9 Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

I like this one:

I decided boiling seitan was just wrong, so after a few tries I decided to make my own recipe for it (a composite of a few of others, actually, but tweaked to my liking... based mostly on a recipe from another website):

Ingredients:
1 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp allspice
2 tsp garlic powder

3/4 cups water
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp tamari

Preheat oven to 325°.

In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for a minute or two.. it doesn't need long.

Form into a log (6-8" long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.

Nutritional Info
The entire log has:
1134 calories
32g fat
63g carbs
158g protein

I got it from Post Punk Kitchen, but try as I might, I cannot find it on their website.

You know what, I think I saw that on post punk kitchen as I was searching the internet. It was one of the few that caught my eye! I'll try this one too, I'd like to have a variety of options. Thank you!!!
#10 Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 PM

Vegan Dad has all sorts of super delicious seitan recipes, in any way, shape, or form that you desire.

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/search/label/seitan
#11 Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM

I just discovered Seitan for myself, though I had no gluten or money, so I had to make it the old fashioned way.... kneading wheat flour for a half an hour as well as rinsing the starch off.... Not sure I've done it right, especially since I'm using different seasonings, but what ever comes of it will be..... Unique, and hopefully tasty.

EDIT:: Hmm... It turned out like undercooked pasta.... My plan now is to bread and bake it, then slather it with sauce..... I won't waste it....

This above all else; To thine own self be true.
#12 Old 02-08-2011, 04:09 PM

Here's my recipe

1 CUP Gluten flour [Vital Gluten Protein]
1/4 CUP Nutritional Yeast
2 tsp Garlic powder or 2 whole cloves of fresh garlic
1/2 tsp Chili pepper, Italian seasonings, Paprika, Black Pepper, and Onion powder
1/8 CUP soy sauce
1 - 2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 CUP vegetable broth/stock [use 1/2 CUP if broth/stock is LOW SODIUM]
1/4 CUP water [Do not use if ALREADY using 1/2 CUP broth/stock]

Tinfoil

Instructions:

Preheat oven for 400*

In bowl, combine dry ingrediants. In another bowl, combine wet ingediants. Once both bowls are seporately blended for consistancy, combine.... Be sure to mix well, then kneed gluten for two mins once it gets thick.... Be quick, gluten sucks up moisture rather quickly.

Roll glutten into a log as best you can, then tightly wrap with tinfoil, and loosely twist ends close....

Once oven is preheated, place glutten inside oven [Right on the rack], and let cook for 40-80mins, rotating for every 10 mins for even cooking.

After I bake and slice it all up into little strips, I slather them up with buffalo sauce, and then toss them about in seasoned bread crumbs... Pan fry in olive oil for amazingness, or simply eat as is.

This above all else; To thine own self be true.
#13 Old 05-21-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

I like this one:

Ingredients:
1 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp allspice
2 tsp garlic powder

3/4 cups water
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp tamari

Preheat oven to 325°.

Nutritional Info
The entire log has:
1134 calories
32g fat
63g carbs
158g protein

I'm trying this right now. It's in the oven. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" - Winston Churchill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page