White Bean Spread - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 AM

I recently started making this for lunch sandwiches and am starting to like it ok. However, I've only had it straight out of the skillet. I think it has potential for varying the seasonings and whatever you cook with it but I'm not sure how this will keep or what it would taste like after being refrigerated. Currently, I'm using garlic and sometimes rosemary (I have a lot of this growing outside). I put red peppers in today and it was good. I think salsa would taste good but, then again, everything's better with salsa on it!

Question #1 - Anybody else make this and have tips for making it taste better?

Question #2 - Anybody ever packed it in the lunch and taken it off to work to eat later? How was it?

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Is this a recipe that's posted in this forum? I remember a white bean dip, I think...

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 08-11-2010, 06:38 AM

No, it's not. All it is is "white" beans (Great Northern) that are cooked normally and put in the frig. When I'm ready to make the spread, I put some EVOO, garlic and other stuff depending on how I want to make it in a skillet. I then reheat the beans and mash them as they are heating/cooking. When they are all mashed, I spread it on bagels or bread.

#4 Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Ah- OK. That sound spretty good actually- I like Great Northerns.

Have you tried savory? I think it's summer savory that is supposed to be good with beans; there's a winter savory too. I tried it and I didn't think it tasted that much better than, say, thyme or oregano would have.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#5 Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 AM

No, haven't tried savory but I do think this has a lot of possibilities. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and just TEST whether or not this will be any good out of a lunch bag or stored for later consumption. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page