red kidney beans from can, should i boil them? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Beginner
 
rordogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
hi i've been rinsing my red kidney beans from a can before eating them but then i read somewhere that beans should be boiled first because they contain toxic substances. so do companies boil them before they can them or do i have to do that myself? thanks.
rordogs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Beginner
 
cstadt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,992
I'm pretty sure they're cooked either before they're canned or while in the can.



You can eat them straight from the can if you want. I make chickpea salad all the time and I don't cook them before I mash them up or anything
cstadt is offline  
#3 Old 04-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Beginner
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,283
They can be eaten straight out of the can. Canned food is subjected to high temperatures to preserve it.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#4 Old 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Beginner
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rordogs View Post

hi i've been rinsing my red kidney beans from a can before eating them but then i read somewhere that beans should be boiled first because they contain toxic substances. so do companies boil them before they can them or do i have to do that myself? thanks.



You need to boil kidney beans that have not been cooked yet. The red beans in a can have been cooked already (they'd be hard as a rock if they weren't) and don't need to be boiled.
froggythefrog is offline  
#5 Old 04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,552
yeah, canned beans are already cooked. you can eat them right from the can if you want to. dried beans (the rock hard ones) you do need to cook.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#6 Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Beginner
 
skelly023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 491
What's a good way to heat beans up from a can, for things like tacos and such?
skelly023 is offline  
#7 Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly023 View Post

What's a good way to heat beans up from a can, for things like tacos and such?



with a heat source. microwave, oven, pot on stove..... the usual.



i actually rinse off canned kidney beans in a colander, then put them in a hot frying pan with a teeny bit of hot oil and stir them around for a while. they splutter a bit and dry out, and if you leave them long enough the skins go a little crispy and the middles go soft and fluffy and they fall to bits a bit and they look like they've been assualted but they taste nice and i like them like that.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#8 Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Beginner
 
Krutch Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 38
Well you could use a microwave, a stove, or even a campfire if you so wish.





Edit: dang, you beat me to it.
Krutch Master is offline  
#9 Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

with a heat source. microwave, oven, pot on stove..... the usual.



i actually rinse off canned kidney beans in a colander, then put them in a hot frying pan with a teeny bit of hot oil and stir them around for a while. they splutter a bit and dry out, and if you leave them long enough the skins go a little crispy and the middles go soft and fluffy and they fall to bits a bit and they look like they've been assualted but they taste nice and i like them like that.



if you want to be a bit posh you could fry some onion and red pepper in the pan first, then when its soft add cumin seeds, then add beans, and then throw in some salsa or other tomatoey sauce and seasoning. i do that a lot.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#10 Old 04-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Beginner
 
skelly023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 491
Yeah I got it was a simple question, I'm just not familiar with bean dishes and wasn't sure if cooking them a certain way for too long would ruin them and such. Thanks.
skelly023 is offline  
#11 Old 04-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,552
yeah, if you heat them up and stir them about for more than 2 or 3 minutes they might get soft and squishy, and/or dry out if they run out of liquid. but all they really need is to be warm, and that doesn't take long at all, so its ok.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#12 Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Beginner
 
rordogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
thanks for the info guys!
rordogs is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off