red kidney beans from can, should i boil them? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Beginner

hi i've been rinsing my red kidney beans from a can before eating them but then i read somewhere that beans should be boiled first because they contain toxic substances. so do companies boil them before they can them or do i have to do that myself? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Beginner

I'm pretty sure they're cooked either before they're canned or while in the can.

You can eat them straight from the can if you want. I make chickpea salad all the time and I don't cook them before I mash them up or anything
#3 Old 04-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Beginner

They can be eaten straight out of the can. Canned food is subjected to high temperatures to preserve it.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#4 Old 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rordogs View Post

hi i've been rinsing my red kidney beans from a can before eating them but then i read somewhere that beans should be boiled first because they contain toxic substances. so do companies boil them before they can them or do i have to do that myself? thanks.

You need to boil kidney beans that have not been cooked yet. The red beans in a can have been cooked already (they'd be hard as a rock if they weren't) and don't need to be boiled.
#5 Old 04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned

yeah, canned beans are already cooked. you can eat them right from the can if you want to. dried beans (the rock hard ones) you do need to cook.
#6 Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Beginner

What's a good way to heat beans up from a can, for things like tacos and such?
#7 Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly023 View Post

What's a good way to heat beans up from a can, for things like tacos and such?

with a heat source. microwave, oven, pot on stove..... the usual.

i actually rinse off canned kidney beans in a colander, then put them in a hot frying pan with a teeny bit of hot oil and stir them around for a while. they splutter a bit and dry out, and if you leave them long enough the skins go a little crispy and the middles go soft and fluffy and they fall to bits a bit and they look like they've been assualted but they taste nice and i like them like that.
#8 Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Well you could use a microwave, a stove, or even a campfire if you so wish.

Edit: dang, you beat me to it.
#9 Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

with a heat source. microwave, oven, pot on stove..... the usual.

i actually rinse off canned kidney beans in a colander, then put them in a hot frying pan with a teeny bit of hot oil and stir them around for a while. they splutter a bit and dry out, and if you leave them long enough the skins go a little crispy and the middles go soft and fluffy and they fall to bits a bit and they look like they've been assualted but they taste nice and i like them like that.

if you want to be a bit posh you could fry some onion and red pepper in the pan first, then when its soft add cumin seeds, then add beans, and then throw in some salsa or other tomatoey sauce and seasoning. i do that a lot.
#10 Old 04-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Beginner

Yeah I got it was a simple question, I'm just not familiar with bean dishes and wasn't sure if cooking them a certain way for too long would ruin them and such. Thanks.
#11 Old 04-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Banned

yeah, if you heat them up and stir them about for more than 2 or 3 minutes they might get soft and squishy, and/or dry out if they run out of liquid. but all they really need is to be warm, and that doesn't take long at all, so its ok.
#12 Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Beginner

thanks for the info guys!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page