How much peanut butter is a healthy amount? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Beginner

Frequently peanut butter is the only intentional fat I get in a day (intentional, meaning not as a part of other whole foods like beans, whole grains, etc). I don't add fats to things. So my question is, how much is too much? Right now I'd estimate I eat 4-5 tblsps a day, pretty much all in the morning on a banana. It definitely keeps me from feeling hungry until the early afternoon. Could this hurt me? Is it too much fat? I'm vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Beginner

I'm no nutritionist, but I'd say that the only thing better than a cup of peanut butter is two cups of peanut butter.
#3 Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Beginner

4-5 tbsp of peanut butter comes out to about 360-450 calories a day of just peanut butter. It's not really bad if that's your main source of fat but I'd spread it out throughout the day instead of having it all in one meal. You might want to also have some more variety. Maybe have a some peanut butter in the morning with your banana and maybe some whole grain toast or oatmeal and then have some avocado in your lunch and some nuts for a snack later.
#4 Old 07-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Beginner

um, are you gaining weight?

I mean that's a lot of peanut butter, sure--but if you're not gaining weight then it's obviously not too much.

5T peanut butter:

470 Kcal

40g fat (61% RDI)

19g protein

I'm vegan and consume perhaps 1T peanut butter a day, plus 1/3 to 1 cup of nuts--i used to track my intake and I would definately not worry about getting enough fat unless I were very lean indeed.
#5 Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Beginner

you wouldn't gain weight from that much peanut butter! that's probably perfect for most people's diets if they wish to maintain...some people could even lose eating that..

1 tbsp:1 fat OR 1 protein, exchangewise

vegetarians need peanut butter. (esp. vegans) and there's not enough fat in beans etc to count as a serving. keep doing what you're doing!
#6 Old 07-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by murry View Post

you wouldn't gain weight from that much peanut butter! that's probably perfect for most people's diets if they wish to maintain...some people could even lose eating that..

1 tbsp:1 fat OR 1 protein, exchangewise

vegetarians need peanut butter. (esp. vegans) and there's not enough fat in beans etc to count as a serving. keep doing what you're doing!

There are plenty of opportunities for fat in a veg*n diet. The way I see it, I get to choose where I get my fat, instead of watching everything else because of the saturated lard on my plate I could fatten a vegan without breaking a sweat.

I would love to see a pic of your banana slathered with that much peanut butter. Yum!

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
#7 Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Beginner

Yeah, I don't think I'm gaining weight but I don't weigh often because I've had ED issues in the past. Still, my clothes seem to fit the same, and I'm also a runner. I try to get in 4-5 miles a day most days of the week.

But I like Soy 6-Pack's answer the best.
#8 Old 07-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Beginner

Are your goals just to maintain weight? Why aren't you getting about 30% of your calories from fat? (any lower than that is considered a "low fat" diet)

If you're eating 1800 calories a day, you would shoot for 600 calories from fat or about 65g of fat per day. 4T of peanut butter has 30g of fat. If you're not getting 30 more grams of fat from other sources, you're really not eating nearly enough fat in your diet.
#9 Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Beginner

The only thing that makes peanut butter and coffee better is more peanut butter and more coffee.
#10 Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

Are your goals just to maintain weight? Why aren't you getting about 30% of your calories from fat? (any lower than that is considered a "low fat" diet)

If you're eating 1800 calories a day, you would shoot for 600 calories from fat or about 65g of fat per day. 4T of peanut butter has 30g of fat. If you're not getting 30 more grams of fat from other sources, you're really not eating nearly enough fat in your diet.

Is lower than 30 grams a low fat diet for everyone or just low for how much exercise she does every week?

I thought you were supposed to try to get under 30 grams everyday, so I've cut back on my fat (I think I get maybe 25 now).
#11 Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

I thought you were supposed to try to get under 30 grams everyday, so I've cut back on my fat (I think I get maybe 25 now).

20% of the total calories consumed is the government recommendation for fat intake, and even that is politically motivated. It should be even lower, but the dairy and meat lobbies protested that setting the official recommendation to anything lower than 20% would necessitate a reduction in the consumption of animal products. If you are eating the average 2000 calories a day used to calculate nutritional info, this would mean that you should be eating no more than 45 grams of fat each day, since 1 gram of fat = 9 calories. If you are eating more or less than 2000 calories a day, calculate accordingly.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#12 Old 07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Beginner

I'm trying to reduce fat in my diet, so I take a jar of natural pb and pour out most of the oil. Still tastes good. Don't know if that is applicable to your situation or not.

Beanitarian.
#13 Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Beginner

i have to say i remember when i went through the peanut butter phase. i was eating about 5 tbs a day. i gained weight. however, at the time i wasn't working out. i gave up eating so much and picked back up on my work outs and felt better. i think it also has a lot to do with if you are buying JIF or organic.....

just my thought

:]
#14 Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Beginner

You want to get between 20 and 30 percent of your calories from fat (and keep saturated fat to a minimum.) There are 9 calories in a gram of fat and the number of grams you need depends on how many calories you need, which depends on your height, weight, sex, etc.

For example: When I'm trying to lose weight, I need to eat about 1600 calories per day, that works out to 35-53 grams of fat per day.

When I'm trying to maintain, I need to eat about 1800 calories per day, which works out to 40-60 grams of fat per day.
#15 Old 07-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Beginner

lucky girl. i would definitely gain weight...PB (or any nut butter) is a huge huge trigger food for me.. i wouldn't be able to stop.
#16 Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Beginner

The meat analouges I always get contain peanuts instead of soy and I eat those most days I still have some left. And also love peanut butter and jam sandwiches and sometimes just eat raw peanuts, so I guess I eat alot of peanuts.
#17 Old 07-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Beginner

i live off of peanut butter!!! seriously, it's one of my main protein and fat sources. actually...i really only eat raw nuts (walnuts, almonds, and cashews), flax seeds and oil, and peanut butter for fat...that may be bad. but nothing is better than warm, chewy, flaky whole wheat peta bread with chunky pb
#18 Old 07-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Oooh, tonight I learned to make my own. Thank God for the food processor...
#19 Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy 6-Pack View Post

I'm no nutritionist, but I'd say that the only thing better than a cup of peanut butter is two cups of peanut butter.

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#20 Old 07-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Beginner

He's right, my dietician told me people should get 30% of their daily intake from fat... I don't think you're eating too much PB at all. I've found fats keep me full too. I eat around 1 tbs flax seed meal, 2 tbs peanut butter and maybe even quarter to half an avocado daily.
#21 Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

Is lower than 30 grams a low fat diet for everyone or just low for how much exercise she does every week?

Not 30g, 30% of your calories. And that's low fat for everyone regardless of your activity.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dga/dga95/lowfat.html

Quote:
Choose a diet that provides no more than 30 percent of total calories from fat

You should ignore ANYTHING that says to get X grams of anything (fat, protein, etc) unless it's specifically tailored to you. Anything that says "get less than 30g of fat per day" is not taking into account that the reader could be a 250 pound male or a 115 pound female. Obviously the dietary needs of those two people will be different and anything giving out recommendations in grams instead of percentages should be ignored.

The only caveat to this is when something tells you to get X grams of something per something else (like 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, or .3g of fat per pound of bodyweight, etc)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page