Possible to eat too many beans? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Beginner

Hey guys im just starting to wonder if my bean intake is normal or pretty weird...

on average i eat atleast one full can of beans a day (garbanzo, fat free refried beans, black beans, chili, ect) and somedays like today i eat two whole cans!

is this crazy and how many beans would be good for my diet? Along with my beans i eat tons of veggies, sometimes a boca, and lots of water. Not really a bread fan so beans are my only carbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Banned

i eat about that many beans too. i've been doing it for years, and i'm ok. only thing that'd bother me is rinsing them loads, if they're canned, cos of all the salt and maybe sugar, and other liquid residues in the can. variety is always good though- don't you like rice, or potatoes, or pasta, or anything else to add to your carbs choices?
#3 Old 07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Harmful compounds aren't completely distorted in canned beans that would be if they were properly soaked and cooked, so you should only use canned beans sparingly, but I don't think it is to big of a deal. I'll try and find the book I read that from and get back to you on that.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#4 Old 07-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i eat about that many beans too. i've been doing it for years, and i'm ok. only thing that'd bother me is rinsing them loads, if they're canned, cos of all the salt and maybe sugar, and other liquid residues in the can. variety is always good though- don't you like rice, or potatoes, or pasta, or anything else to add to your carbs choices?

i think im the only vegetarian that doesnt like pasta and rice. I do like a sweet potato every now and then. For some reason those kind of foods dont appeal to me
#5 Old 07-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Beginner

As much as I hate preaching about 'combining proteins', beans+grains= complete protein. So if you're not eating any grains... your diet isn't really all that balanced.

I'd try to eat some grains of some sort- surely there's some you like? And cook your own beans if possible, although canned beans aren't that bad at all as long as sodium isn't a concern. But beans are a very healthy food, good for you for enjoying them
#6 Old 07-25-2006, 01:44 AM
Beginner

Does whole grain bread count if someone doesn't like rice?

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#7 Old 07-25-2006, 05:30 AM
Beginner

Whole grain bread counts as a whole grain. But rice isn't the only grain out there.

If you don't like rice, you can try millet or quinoa, which are great alternatives to rice. Barley is great in soup, or steel cut oats for a nutritious breakfast (or anytime for that matter). Then there's spelt, rye, corn and buckwheat.

HTH
#8 Old 07-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Beginner

Ok thanks for the advice guys! I've gotta run out and by some whole wheat bread and rinse my beans
#9 Old 07-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

Not really a bread fan so beans are my only carbs

There are loads of other carbs in the world. You could be doing your system a lot of damage by not eating at least SOME carbs. I don't like bread all that much (and it's expensive) so I eat tortillas or Indian breads.
#10 Old 07-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Beginner

I eat lots of beans too, mixed all together + grain products

Haven't had any problems, but i'm not sure about canned beans though cause i eat the ones that i soak and cook myself, i think it's healthier that way
#11 Old 07-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Beginner

I forgot about tortillas... i have these awesome spinach flavoured tortilla wraps that taste awesome. I havnt had one in months so they are probably stale but i can always buy new ones!
#12 Old 07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Beginner

Well, seeing as how youre such a big fan of broccoli too, I hope to God that I never get stuck in the seat behind you on a plane

Well, all kidding aside I wonder if you could OD on L-DOPA from eating too many fava beans. Probably not, but it's an interesting question.
#13 Old 07-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

Well, all kidding aside I wonder if you could OD on L-DOPA from eating too many fava beans. Probably not, but it's an interesting question.

There is a disease called "favism" that can come from fava beans. I'm not sure if it's from eating too many fava beans.
#14 Old 07-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Beginner

No, thats different. Favism is the result of an inherited metabolic defect which causes a life-threatening hemolytic anemia in response to the ingestion of fava beans. I was wondering if it is possible to overdose on L-DOPA from consuming mass quantities of fava beans, since the drug occurs naturally in this legume.

As an interesting note, Pythagoras forbade his followers from eating fava beans, and it is generally assumed that he suffered from favism.
#15 Old 11-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

When no one can get within 100 yards of you because of gas, then you know you've had too much :P

Beans are really good for you. It's your protein, so you can really eat the same portion as you would meat. Keep in mind, 1 meat serving is the size of your fist. I would recommend not getting all of your protein from beans though. Spice things up or you'll get sick of them.
#16 Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Beginner

VegwithEdge, I agree with you. I'm not a big pasta or potato fan either. I much prefer fresh vegetables and fruit. Much healthier too.

Kristie
#17 Old 12-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Beginner

VegwithEdge, I agree with you. I'm not a big pasta or potato fan either. I much prefer fresh vegetables and fruit. Much healthier too.

Kristie
#18 Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Beginner

Your not alone, I love pinto beans. I always pack lunch and include a can. Just remember that song? Beans beans the American furit, the more ya eat the more ya tute; the more ya tute the better ya feel, beans beans the American meal!
#19 Old 02-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelin View Post

As much as I hate preaching about 'combining proteins', beans+grains= complete protein. So if you're not eating any grains... your diet isn't really all that balanced.

I'd try to eat some grains of some sort- surely there's some you like? And cook your own beans if possible, although canned beans aren't that bad at all as long as sodium isn't a concern. But beans are a very healthy food, good for you for enjoying them

Actually, the idea that it is necessary for vegans to worry about combining proteins in order to meet their protein requirements is a complete myth. As long as a person is eating enough unprocessed food (not candy or junk food) to satisfy their caloric needs, they will automatically satisfy their protein needs as well. Here is some info on the subject:

As explained in the DiseaseProof Blog:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/

diet-myths-complementary-protein-myth-wont-go-away.html

As explained on the Vegsource website:

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/ProteinRequie.htm

As explained by Dr. McDougall in the Correspondence section of 'Circulation' (the peer reviewed Medical Journal of the American Heart Association):

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/cont...ll/105/25/e197

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/cont...urcetype=HWCIT
#20 Old 02-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Beginner

I eat a lot of beans and I see no problem with it. The beans are healthier when you soak them and cook them at home rather than eating them from a can, but I wouldn't freak out about eating canned beans.
#21 Old 02-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Beginner

I go through a lot of phases where eating a can (or two) of lentils/chickpeas/lima beans/kidney beans is practically mandatory for me...

so you're definitely not alone!
#22 Old 02-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganClaudia View Post

Actually, the idea that it is necessary for vegans to worry about combining proteins in order to meet their protein requirements is a complete myth. As long as a person is eating enough unprocessed food (not candy or junk food) to satisfy their caloric needs, they will automatically satisfy their protein needs as well. Here is some info on the subject:

As explained in the DiseaseProof Blog:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/

diet-myths-complementary-protein-myth-wont-go-away.html

As explained on the Vegsource website:

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/ProteinRequie.htm

As explained by Dr. McDougall in the Correspondence section of 'Circulation' (the peer reviewed Medical Journal of the American Heart Association):

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/cont...ll/105/25/e197

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/cont...urcetype=HWCIT

Great post Claudia!
#23 Old 02-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Beginner

I wish the red words at the top were still there to alert people when they are posting in an old thread.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page