Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 2 Post By Knowtions In Motion
  • 2 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 09-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Red face General Weight Loss Thread

I've been overweight for quite some time now, and although not in love with it, haven't really been bothered by it enough to sort it out. I have lost some weight and gained it back again, in the past couple of years. This year however I have finally started to make some decent inroads into losing the pounds.

One of the most useful tools I've found in this process is an online nutrition tracker (I use Cron-O-meter, which I think is excellent). I also weigh myself most mornings, not because I'm obsessed about going up or down one or two pounds in a day (which happens, because of water and fibre etc.), but because it keeps me mentally motivated to keep my diet in line with my goals during the day ahead.

Is anyone else here currently making an effort to get down to a healthier weight? Do you have a goal, in weight or dress size or just how you feel in your body? What strategies or tools work for you, or have worked in the past? Do share!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2017, 06:28 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

I've been making an effort to lose the 30ish lbs. I put back on out of the 110 I previously lost. I began to eat more stuff I had already given up due to the perceived "convenience" of it (french fries, potato wedges, delivery pizzas minus the cheese, fake meats and such made from soy, etc, much more peanut butter mixed with non-dairy chocolate chips, gluten-free and gluten-filled breads, gluten-free pastas, potato chips, and of course the nasty oils and other additives and such that most restaurants and companies use to prepare most of the stuff listed above), and also got back into an old habit of eating stuff after dinner/late night, disregarding the digestive processes that need to take place during that time.

My body once again painfully reminded me these things aren't wise choices, at all, so I stopped them all, once again, and am steadily dropping the pounds and feeling better. I still do my mini-trampoline, dancing, walking, gardening, and hula hooping as my main forms of exercise daily, so it was definitely the consumption choices and late night eating that packed the pounds back on.

I have no ideal weight or size I'm shooting for and no longer track each thing I eat like I used to when I was first learning how to healthily gauge my intake. I only aim for improved sustainable health and functioning from the inside out. May we all reach our desired goals by finding our healthiest, and tastiest, grooves. Peace.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#3 Old 09-10-2017, 12:49 AM
Veggie Regular

110lb is a really substantial weight loss, well done!! I've lost 2 stone (28lb) so far this year and looking to do another 1 stone (14lb) in UK) by new year. That should take me down to a relatively healthy 14/16 UK dress size (US 12/14 I think) and I'll see where I want to go from there, when I get there. Though I definitely want to start a regular walking programme again - started that then it tailed off, as so many good intentions do.

#4 Old 09-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

I've been slowly losing weight over about a year (30 pounds so far) and I have a way to go, this thread is a great idea!

I've been following a whole foods plant-based diet based around The Starch Solution and it's great because I get to eat a lot while still losing, plus I love potatoes haha. I've been watching a lot of vegan weight-loss youtubers like High Carb Hannah and Potato Strong and it's been really motivating plus they have great recipe ideas.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 09-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
I've been slowly losing weight over about a year (30 pounds so far) and I have a way to go, this thread is a great idea!

I've been following a whole foods plant-based diet based around The Starch Solution and it's great because I get to eat a lot while still losing, plus I love potatoes haha. I've been watching a lot of vegan weight-loss youtubers like High Carb Hannah and Potato Strong and it's been really motivating plus they have great recipe ideas.
I think it's a great thing to take weight loss at a relaxed pace, I just don't believe it's possible for most people to lose a lot of weight really fast and keep it off. I have a cheat day (or sometimes two) a week where I don't worry if I go over the calories recommended by Cronometer. Though most days I do try to keep inside the lines

I also love my whole foods, though unlike most of those kinds of dietary programmes, I do regularly include a controlled/measured amount of refined vegetable fats (oil, butter, cheese, mayo) in my diet.

As for weight loss motivation, I have made the mistake of watching programmes like The Biggest Loser in the past; it's compulsive junk TV, and isn't really motivational at all! The trainers (producers?) just seem to enjoy making the fatties vomit and cry! They would never admit it, but there is absolutely a smug undercurrent of 'punishment' for being greedy / lazy going on in shows like that. I also find it quite problematic the degree to which participants literally hate themselves and their bodies for being obese. 'Obese' is just a medical term, it's not a value judgement. Or it shouldn't be..
#6 Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

My 'Hairy Dieters go Veggie' book arrived yesterday. Most people from the UK will recognise The Hairy Bikers from numerous cooking TV series where they travel around and cook lots of rich stodgy traditional British dishes. Then a couple of years ago they decided they were unhealthily fat (they were well into the obese range) and needed to eat less, so rebranded themselves as The Hairy Dieters (all news to me, but then I don't really watch TV much anymore). This veggie book came out in May (found it on Amazon for just £6 and thought I might as well give it a go), and has lots of traditional fare, made veggie and lower in fat. I'll probably be updating the what did you cook vegan thread a lot from this book. It's getting cooler and darker here in the UK now, so a great time for stews, soups and the starchy stuff I love. Most recipes are not fully vegan, but are easy to do simple subs for the milk and butter (there's very little in the way of high fat cheese or eggs in there). Couple of their recipes linked to below, I'm definitely trying the chestnut pie and the socca and salsa.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...w-recipes.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page