• 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By Iridium
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 09-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

"Obesity: It’s Not About the Carbs"

Quote:
Can you believe people actually avoid fruit in an attempt to lose weight? There has never been a single credible study showing that fruit consumption leads to weight gain, and yet this concept is as prevalent as any nutrition dogma. I have treated people for obesity for years and I can tell you, nobody is coming to see me because they ate too many apples or grapes. Why do people think fruit leads to weight gain? The quick answer from my patients is because of the carbs.

When I ask my patients what their downfall is, when it comes to weight loss, they unanimously blame carbs. Their diet log will read: eggs-and-bacon breakfast sandwich, Subway sandwich and chips for lunch, and a pork roast with potatoes for dinner. When asked the part of that menu that is causing them to gain weight, they blame the bread from the sandwiches, the chips, and the potatoes. It is always the bun, never the hamburger. Now don’t get me wrong; there is nothing healthy about chips, loaded with fat. The sandwich bread is likely bleached flour with little, to no, nutrient value.

However, the vast majority of the calories are coming from fat and protein. Pizza and donuts are considered carbs despite the fact that they contain as many (or more) calories from fat as carbs.
Read the rest here: https://www.forksoverknives.com/obes...out-the-carbs/

I see people demonizing carbs while eating really unhealthy foods a lot, one guy I know is on a low carb diet and considers pork rinds a healthy snack. This is a refreshing take!
Spudulika and David3 like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Vegan since 1991

Yep. People say that donuts are unhealthy because of the (processed) carbs, but added fat is equally the culprit.

A "Dunkin Donuts" glazed donut gets about 1/2 of its calories from fat, and about 1/2 of its calories from carbohydrates : http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTU2MzQx.html

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 09-02-2017 at 06:44 PM.
#3 Old 09-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Vegan since 1991

Very strange that people avoid fruit in their attempts to lose weight. A medium peach is only 60 calories! https://www.google.com/search?source...k1.j4_-dw0XiSI
cherries and Spudulika like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

#4 Old 09-03-2017, 11:52 AM

Yeah its quite strange. I have seen diabetic people order bunless double cheese burgers and deep fried onion rings instead of fries because, " The carbs are unhealthy", like seriously this is getting out of hand. People are posting everywhere now that you can eat unlimited amounts of fat and cholesterol as long as you avoid carbohydrate,that sugar and carbs in any form are what really causes heart disease, and that low fat is just a conspiracy theory because the low fat trend has not cured the obesity epidemic.

LOL its not the low fat foods fault. IF YOU REPLACE FATTY JUNK FOOD WITH SUGAR FILLED JUNK FOOD OF COURSE YOUR NOT GOING TO LOSE ANY WEIGHT!!!!

Its all about calories restriction. Which people usually fail to do. You can easily lose weight on a vodka, MC Donald's, candy and cigarette diet as long as you calorie count lol. But weight loss is not the point. We want people to be healthy for corns sake.
Spudulika and David3 like this.
#5 Old 09-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
Yeah its quite strange. I have seen diabetic people order bunless double cheese burgers and deep fried onion rings instead of fries because, " The carbs are unhealthy", like seriously this is getting out of hand. People are posting everywhere now that you can eat unlimited amounts of fat and cholesterol as long as you avoid carbohydrate,that sugar and carbs in any form are what really causes heart disease, and that low fat is just a conspiracy theory because the low fat trend has not cured the obesity epidemic.

LOL its not the low fat foods fault. IF YOU REPLACE FATTY JUNK FOOD WITH SUGAR FILLED JUNK FOOD OF COURSE YOUR NOT GOING TO LOSE ANY WEIGHT!!!!

Its all about calories restriction. Which people usually fail to do. You can easily lose weight on a vodka, MC Donald's, candy and cigarette diet as long as you calorie count lol. But weight loss is not the point. We want people to be healthy for corns sake.

Yes, it's completely insane. The American Diabetes Association directly discourages people from eating saturated-fat-rich foods, like the fatty meats, cheeses etc: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...-diabetes.html . People with diabetes aren't even properly informed about the recommendations of reputable organizations that fight diabetes! Low-carb is so entrenched in the online diabetes community.
Spudulika and Iridium like this.

_________

#6 Old 10-16-2017, 07:14 AM

Hi there

What you're tryng to do isn't easy, but you have to trust yourself ! I'm sure it gonna work well !

Good luck !

Regards,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page