Going vegan with gastric disorders - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 07-30-2017, 03:42 PM

Going vegan with gastric disorders

I gave up beef and pork 5 years ago and transitioned into full vegetarianism 3 years ago. I would like to switch to veganism for ethical reasons but I have a disorder called gastroparesis. Essentially my stomach is partially paralyzed and it takes a long time for food to move from my stomach to my intestines. Because of this there are many foods I cannot eat, including most raw veggies, many fruits and all dried fruits, anything really greasy or high in fiber, whole beans (refried are ok), and I can only handle nuts and seeds in small amounts. Currently I am relying heavily on eggs and dairy for protein. My case is relatively mild but when it acts up I end up with severe stomach pains (sometimes so bad I can't even get out of bed) and end up living off of soups and protein drinks for several days. If I stray too far from my gastroparesis diet I am at risk of developing complications that would require surgery to fix. I would really like to go vegan but I am not sure how I can do it without straying from my dietary restrictions. I am also currently in a living situation where I can't cook a lot and I have very little freezer space. Does anybody have ideas about how I can go vegan under these restrictions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi chimpchick,

Because gastroparesis can cause life-threatening complications, it might be good to plan your vegan diet with the help of a Registered Dietitian. Your physician can refer you to one. Because of your medical condition, professional dietary planning may be covered by your insurance plan.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page